Guiding Light discussion thread

That's the first outline of an episode that I've ever seen.   Sure is minimalist.  I would've thought it would have more scene detail and perhaps even include some phrases of dialogue that the head writer wanted to feature in the scenes.   

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, RavenWhitney said:

==

https://imgur.com/a/0ikvWfU

I'm rereading the GL 1969 story projection. I believe this is the projection that got Soderberg/Sommer their four year head writing stint on GL.  They kick off the story in May and go through year end.  Wikipedia says they were head writers starting in Nov 1969 but this projection is written to begin in May so either they didn't start their stories in May or Wikipedia is incorrect.

https://imgur.com/a/0ikvWfU

Thanks -- could you send the rest as a WETRANSFER link ?  Eager to see the full set.

Please join Ellen Dolan (Maureen Reardon Bauer), Harley Jane Kozak (Annabelle Sims Reardon) and Michael Woods (Jim Reardon) live in The Locher Room on Wednesday, April 21 at 3 p.m. EST / 12 p.m. PST.

That's a different reunion. I like it.

I always "forget" Dolan and Woods played siblings before the whole Margo/Alec mess on ATWT. LMAO.

Posted (edited)

John Bolger, even in later years, was an unconventionally sexy dude with an amazing voice who JFP tried to poorly force into another leading role on OLTL, when the character was introduced as an unappealing villain and he just could not match up to the rest of the leading men on canvas while playing a swinging dick. Trying to push him in a "hot" love triangle with Florencia Lozano and god among men Tim Stickney - please. If he'd come on as a Bob Krimmer/Reverend Andrew soulful type in a supporting role he could've done well. I even liked him in those silly pharmaceutical ads, but wow did I hate Sykes on OLTL.

Edited by Vee

Sykes was AWFUL. I thought JB was so sexy on AW (with its moodier lighting especially).

And he had a certain charm in clips as Phillip. 

14 hours ago, gimmetoo said:

Much time spent on the Peapack experiment...they offered a better appreciation of how inventive Wheeler was in trying to keep the show on the air.  Wheeler was seemingly dedicated and hard working…they even mentioned her pulling all nighters in the studio.

Wheeler truly DID care..but caring, and hard work unfortunately does not help if you just don't have the talent and you continue to make the wrong decisions. She was put in a situation where she couldn't win...Conboy screwed the budget, years of Rauch left the show in tatters and a lot of history unusable from that time (ya can't mention a clone and time travel, what are you left with, the mob and the island???) the Bauers were beyond resurrection, and she had to deal with MADD and the network which just wanted GL gone. However, a better producer could have worked with that and had a more presentable product. Its no mystery why she ended up as a line producer for right wing crap shows.

I would have freaked out to be sitting next to Reva Shayne on the bus!

21 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

And he had a certain charm in clips as Phillip. 

He was sexy as hell on AW, even though I didn't care for that show. He would have worked on GL as he had really incredible chemistry, really the only sexual chemistry MKA had with a man, on GL..if he was just cast as someone other then Phillip.  GA owned Phillip and Bolger came off more as more east coast formal then GA's midwestern golden boy. He shoudl have been a young exec at Spaulding working his way into Alex's good gracess and they should give Phillip a rest until GA could return.

I have no doubt Ellen Wheeler cared. She just simply wasn't qualified or competent in that position.

25 minutes ago, Mitch said:

He would have worked on GL as he had really incredible chemistry, really the only sexual chemistry MKA had with a man, on GL..if he was just cast as someone other then Phillip.  GA owned Phillip and Bolger came off more as more east coast formal then GA's midwestern golden boy. He shoudl have been a young exec at Spaulding working his way into Alex's good gracess and they should give Phillip a rest until GA could return.

I haven’t watched enough of that era, but did they play up any of Phillip’s mental fragility with JB in the role? That I can’t really picture...

I was surprised Chelsea/Philip were planned all the way back when Bolger was playing him.  His Philip was more suave and less tortured..I recall.

I'm excited for the Harley Jane K reunion.  She and Michael Woods played siblings on Texas...and than on GL they were teased as a couple when she was married to his brother Tony lol

5 hours ago, Vee said:

have no doubt Ellen Wheeler cared. She just simply wasn't qualified or competent in that position.

This is it..you can work 24/7 but if you aren't capable and you make wrong choice (putting JVD on recurring) after wrong choice (thinking that weird assassin guy and Hillbilly Bonnie would make a super couple) there are no kudos for you. I am also sick of hearing that Peapack saved GL for a couple of years...who cares...it sucked and should have gone off the air if the net and P & G didn't give a damn anymore.  Hey she could have ended up filming people having sex in roadside park restrooms who wants to see it..oh yes, she did film people have sex in park restrooms..so..no..just enough with Wheeler, she is where she belongs right now.

5 hours ago, Faulkner said:

haven’t watched enough of that era, but did they play up any of Phillip’s mental fragility with JB in the role? That I can’t really picture...

No..he truly was as if Bernau had a kid..but that was the problem...Phillip wasn't Alan's bio kid!

On 4/14/2021 at 7:51 AM, Mitch said:

on GL as he had really incredible chemistry, really the only sexual chemistry MKA had with a man, on GL..if he was just cast as someone other then Phillip. 

It is funny that you should mention their chemistry because according to this article about his casting the chemistry was a key component to Bolger being cast

Please register in order to view this content

15 hours ago, j swift said:

It is funny that you should mention their chemistry because according to this article about his casting the chemistry was a key component to Bolger being cast

Please register in order to view this content

That is why they should have cast him as someone else and just had Phillip skip town to go looking for Alan when Alex tells him she thinks he is actually alive.  Here comes this new hungry exec at Spaulding (is there any other at the factory or evil) who conspires with and against India.  I mean, India chasing after that feathered haired blond bore Simon????