Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Locher’s reunion with the GL producers was probably his best yet.  Amazingly informative about the BTS workings of daytime.  The group truly seemed to adore their time working on the show.

One of the producers had been the assistant to multiple EP legends including JFP, Paul Rausch, John Conboy and Ellen Wheeler…she shared some tales and you know she has many more.   Much time spent on the Peapack experiment...they offered a better appreciation of how inventive Wheeler was in trying to keep the show on the air.  Wheeler was seemingly dedicated and hard working…they even mentioned her pulling all nighters in the studio.  Would be great if Locher could get her on for an interview — between AW, AMC and GL, she witnessed so much daytime history.

Not surprisingly they all praised Zimmer and said of all the “divas” they worked with in their careers (before and after GL) she was the most down to earth and real.  Apparently she commuted daily by bus from NJ to Port Authority before hauling across town to the GL studio.  Love the image of the multi-Emmy winning legend trudging through Port Authority with the rest of humanity.

Edited by gimmetoo

• Members

==

https://imgur.com/a/0ikvWfU

I'm rereading the GL 1969 story projection. I believe this is the projection that got Soderberg/Sommer their four year head writing stint on GL.  They kick off the story in May and go through year end.  Wikipedia says they were head writers starting in Nov 1969 but this projection is written to begin in May so either they didn't start their stories in May or Wikipedia is incorrect.

https://imgur.com/a/0ikvWfU

Edited by RavenWhitney

• Members

John Bolger, even in later years, was an unconventionally sexy dude with an amazing voice who JFP tried to poorly force into another leading role on OLTL, when the character was introduced as an unappealing villain and he just could not match up to the rest of the leading men on canvas while playing a swinging dick. Trying to push him in a "hot" love triangle with Florencia Lozano and god among men Tim Stickney - please. If he'd come on as a Bob Krimmer/Reverend Andrew soulful type in a supporting role he could've done well. I even liked him in those silly pharmaceutical ads, but wow did I hate Sykes on OLTL.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Wheeler truly DID care..but caring, and hard work unfortunately does not help if you just don't have the talent and you continue to make the wrong decisions. She was put in a situation where she couldn't win...Conboy screwed the budget, years of Rauch left the show in tatters and a lot of history unusable from that time (ya can't mention a clone and time travel, what are you left with, the mob and the island???) the Bauers were beyond resurrection, and she had to deal with MADD and the network which just wanted GL gone. However, a better producer could have worked with that and had a more presentable product. Its no mystery why she ended up as a line producer for right wing crap shows.

I would have freaked out to be sitting next to Reva Shayne on the bus!

He was sexy as hell on AW, even though I didn't care for that show. He would have worked on GL as he had really incredible chemistry, really the only sexual chemistry MKA had with a man, on GL..if he was just cast as someone other then Phillip.  GA owned Phillip and Bolger came off more as more east coast formal then GA's midwestern golden boy. He shoudl have been a young exec at Spaulding working his way into Alex's good gracess and they should give Phillip a rest until GA could return.

• Members

I was surprised Chelsea/Philip were planned all the way back when Bolger was playing him.  His Philip was more suave and less tortured..I recall.

I'm excited for the Harley Jane K reunion.  She and Michael Woods played siblings on Texas...and than on GL they were teased as a couple when she was married to his brother Tony lol