• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Hello, SON Community Members!

I am a new member here.

This is my first post.

My favorite period of CBS’s Guiding Light was during the 1991–92 and 1992–93 television seasons. (It’s my personal favorite period of any daytime soap.)

I have been enjoying the YouTube-published episodes of The Locher Room, with publicist Alan Locher, which are livestream discussions with past members of not only this series but also CBS’s As the World Turns. (That this was created and launched by Mr. Locher for entertaining and insightful purposes given this terrible period of COVID–19.) And Mr. Locher has also covered other daytime dramas, no longer on the air, like ABC’s All My Children and One Life to Live and NBC’s Another World. (I have experience having followed all the daytime soaps since the 1980s. I have not watched much of what remains lately.)

Given this board is for Guiding Light, which was on NBC Radio first, in 1937, and which transitioned to CBS Television in 1952, on which it ran for an additional 57 years, until its cancellation in 2009, I look forward to reading more comments. And I would like to continue to participate as well.

—Stitches0210

Edited by Stitches0210

• Members

Hi,

I am new here, too.  

It was actually Alan Locher who got me interested in watching old episodes of GL when I saw he had Frank Dicopolous on with the 2000’s crew.  Lo and behold I discovered YouTube had full episodes of the 90’s.  

I am just about to finish the Harley and Mallet era (93) on YouTube and it has been so much fun revisiting these characters and this show especially during the COVID lockdown.  I was a teenager in 93 so rewatching my favorite couple (Harley and Mallet) with adult eyes has been great. I’d say I love them just as much nearly 30 years later as I did back then.

I also cannot help but notice how much better soaps were back then. The writing, the investment, the character development, the music, the acting (date I say?).  Soaps today are a shadow of GL from the early 90’s.

I am appreciative of Alan and anyone else who is letting us catch up with the actors any time but especially during these times.

I’m stalling the end of the Harley Mallet era (bc I don’t want it to end as I’ve forgotten so much) but they’re about to get married and after that I think I’ll go back to the 1990 playlist and start from there this time.

Always up to discuss this era!

• Members

I wonder if Hearst had stayed if they would have gotten to Hope in person eventually?  I’m not sure they would have ever really used her beyond stuff with AM, but we

might have seen her if he had stayed an important character.  

I think the loss of CB as Alan Spaulding also hurt her chances of returning later.

While I enjoy the first AM, Hearst really makes Alan-Michael take off.

• Members

How funny! I'd never heard that. I wonder if the show was thinking about bringing Mike back (as they did for so many of the characters who came back for the reunion, like Phillip and Harley). They definitely did seem to be reinvesting in the Bauer family around that time, giving Rick and Abby a lot of story, as well as Rebecca Budig's Michelle, then bringing on Mary Stuart as the long-absent Meta and bringing back Robert Gentry, who'd last played Ed about 30 years earlier. 

• Members

This was a very risk taking story...I wish that the scene with Marion almost being attacked had been explored more...to have him understand on some level that what he did to Lucy was wrong.

Good idea of a story that went on shock instead of being a character study.  So I'd love to hear from all 3 actors about this story