Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

This makes me sad, because it just

still feels like yesterday I would be posting on a web forum whenever GL had a good episode or a story I liked even back in 2006. I still remembered Taggart’s story plans got tossed by the wayside or repurposed like Gus being the son of Alan & Rita or Reva’s stalker.

Kriezman & Wheeler has good ideas but couldn’t execute them at all, especially once Wheeler became emotionally unmoored it was downhill. However I do appreciate they really did wrap up GL so I’ve blocked out the 07-08 crapola and shoddyness.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Damion Scheller replaced the superior Joshua Freund as Josh Moreno (Olympia Dukakis’ character’s son) on SFT the year before.  Then he got slotted into GL after the Morenos vanished after Xmas 1983. I never liked him on ANY soap, sorry.  I do recall reading an interview with him years ago where he stated that he wanted out of acting due to his mother embezzling his earnings. 

DS: At the time I was cast on ATWT, I was deep in the midst of my own real life soap opera. It was around this time that I discovered that my mother had been embezzling my earnings as a child actor to help her play out her own extravagant lifestyle. With no available recourse against what she was doing, I simply stopped acting as a protest. I believe my stint on ATWT lasted one or two days. I felt extremely betrayed by my mother's actions and as a result became quite surly and confused. I clearly remember coming on to the set and delivering one of the most uninspired performances I've ever delivered just hoping that they would tell me that I didn't need to come back. 

• Members

Not until the late '80s. I think we first saw it around 1983. I'm not sure.

Thanks for the videos @Soapsuds . I have many complaints about GL but I still miss it every day and I still believe it could be thriving today with proper handling. So many of the characters felt like my friends and I mourn their absence, even as I know they were never real.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

As far as I know, the Bauer Barbecue didn't become a tradition until the early 1980s.  If you're remembering 4th of July celebrations from the 1960s, it was probably the annual Hughes 4th of July picnic, which was held each year from the 1960s until the early-80s, when Chris and Nancy left the show. Then the Hughes picnic was revived in 1985-86, when Doug Marland was head-writer at ATWT.  It continued until Marland's death in 1993, and then stopped occurring.    The Hughe's 4th of July picnic always included raising the flag, and the Hughes patriarch (Pa Hughes, Chris Hughes, or later Bob Hughes) saying a few words about patriotism and our nation's founding.   It was a wonderful soap opera tradition that should have continued until ATWT left the airwaves.    

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

So it sounds like 1983 was the 1st year of the Bauer barbeque (1984 had a fun episode devoted to it)...so it sounds like Long jump started it as a tradition. 

And the Hughes 4th of July was kind of boring... nice, but not as memorable 

• Members

Funny, I feel just the opposite.  To me, the Hughes 4th of July was more a tradition and it was believable and memorable.  And the Bauer Barbecue was just used to promote whatever plot was brewing at the time, and the goings-on were unlikely and often over the top.  Not to mention there seemed to be fewer and fewer Bauers to host it every year.   But this is all just my opinion. It's cool to disagree. 

Edited by Neil Johnson