Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

He may have been let go from GL as that was time of when the show was starting to transition into the Kobe/Long era and the show lost a lot of characters who had been there for a good number of years including Ben & Eve. But P&G also kind of shuffled their acting pool around as well. 

Per Drueding's site, Yates played Jaime from  August 3, 1983 - July 29, 1985. I think reception to him in the role was pretty mixed at best. 

That reminds me, before all that Ehlers mess showed someone mentioned Curt Dawson who played Holly's one time fiancé Peter (between engagements with Maya Waterman) and also was on AW. Dawson unfortunately passed away a couple years later as an early victim of AIDS. 

• Members

I don't know if you were here then but we were trying to figure out whether she left to reconcile with Ben or if she had reconciled with Ben and then just stayed in Springfield for a year or two before leaving to join him.

I do like the actress, and I think she's a good contrast to Lenore Kasdorf, but I'm surprised she lasted as long as she did. 

That stalker story with Amanda's flaming uncle seems so ludicrous in the clips. How did it play out onscreen? 

I think this is the highlight:

This episode has more of Eve's stalker story.  I think this was Eve's last big story. After that she just babysat Samantha Marler. For the next two yrs. I also liked the actress. She had a good sisterly chemistry with Rita. I like how Vanessa, Amanda and Jennifer are used as red herrings. In this episode.

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Yates opted not to renew his contract. Earlier this year, someone posted an article about him returning to GL for three weeks to wrap up his story around January 1982. So he was gone long before Kobe/Long. Gray continued on until around June 1983. For a time, it seemed like a Katie/Justin/Eve triangle was being considered.

• Members

It's so funny to read someone calling other people old and sad after they've spent paragraphs defending the former star of a dead genre and can vividly describe news and rumors from 30 years ago.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I think Eve and Ben remarried in Nov 1982..but that she stayed around as support for Justin..and before she left, she encouraged Helena to look in on justin. 

Just watching the Eve stalker story, it was pretty short sighted of Marland to kill off Diane. Did the actress want to leave or did Marland opt to write her off?  It was a waste either way to kill her off...Alexandra vs Diane Ballard would have been epic...India and Diane could have been frenemies, etc.  Long/Kobe would have used her well..imho.  heck her reaction to Reva would have been awesome as well.

Edited by Soaplovers

• Members

I had no idea that Carolyn Ann Clarke wasn't the first Lesley Ann Monroe. Apparently, Jacquelin Perkel originated the role. Interestingly, I worked with Perkel on a project at Rutgers University back around 2008. She was an executive with the Rutgers Foundation at that point.