Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

All the writers in this interview revealed and/or implied that the more outlandish plot points and controversial story decisions were mandates from network execs and producers.

Jim Brown revealed what's already known that he was told to tell the clone story (Wendy Fischman concocted it). He was told to bring Jesse back from the dead on AMC.

Millee said she never resurrected a dead character. I remember her second short GL stint. The show was getting good but Rauch left and Conboy fired her for Weston. I loved her stories about bringing Ed back. She tried.  Network and P&G and EP interference killed the show.

Dave was too young and inexperienced to head write a troubled show. Dave seemed to value and appreciate the history of the show but he took over after Weston, Labine, McTavish.  The three worst periods for the show. He was also forced to work with Swajeski who had petered out after four years on AW and again was not a writer; she had been a network hack.  But P&G was hiring to pay minimum salaries for those positions. Why do you think they replaced expensive Conboy with actress Wheeler. Do you think she was earning his salary? Nope.  

What was clear from comments: Paul Rauch was a hot mess with a lot of power.

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

In all that I have ever read about GL, then and now, I have never heard of anything but respect and affection between JFP and Mark Derwin. If the alleged trouble between them was "heavily reported," you'd think there would a mention of it elsewhere on the Internet.

• Members

I was kind of perplexed when Taggert said that about the Bauers. If she felt that way why didn't she at least bring back Mike and Hope? Maybe she tried. I wonder how many head writers get the blame for things that were producers' decision like the clone story. Maybe it was the producers who wanted to downplay the Bauers. We'll probably never know. It sounds like being the head writer of a soap can be a very frustrating job. 

• Members

Definitely an odd Alex recast but she does feel regal here. I was trying to find that old temp recast thread to no avail(must be dropped off to archived parts of SON somewhere). Interesting to see for sure. 

That kid, that is Johnathan Brooks? Never seen him before but recognized the name from the closing credits. I remember back in the WOST days someone called it Quint & Nola's "Cousin Oliver/Billy Napoli" moment. How the heck did Quint & Nola end up with him? Did he live with them until their exit? 

• Members

Would have to agree. Kreizman had some decent ideas. It's just a shame his writing had about as much emotional depth as a frat house. Not to mention Wheeler blowing through so much story with her special Wednesday episodes. 

• Members

I think in time Taggart would’ve brought more Bauer’s back. Didn’t she and Lloyd Gold bring back Ed Bauer? It’s no secret that Alan Michael was supposed to come back for the war over Spaulding, and who knows with his return maybe that would’ve opened the door for Hope. I’m just speculating but Taggart in my opinion seemed to get the ball rolling. 

• Members

I was over at one of the game show forums reading a thread about tape wiping and shows thought to be lost. Someone mentioned that the daytime version of To Tell The Truth has turned up along with a couple of other daytime shows. Another person replied that Guiding Light episodes thought to be lost may exist as well. Wouldn't that be incredible ?