Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

GL was the better show at that time(even I an ATWT #1 fan have to admit). Thus the better numbers. Their ATWT had some good moments but nothing like the writing they did on GL.

Probably a lot since I hated their writing on SB.

• Members

Loved that set and that is really one thing the Dobs did well that they didn't replicate on ATWT,...a midwestern gothicness.  Marland picked up on that and took it even higher.

Bridget..she has to be a trip to have drinks with but she has a huge ego and actually beleives what she thinks. GL was doing better, as ATWT fell into a rut at that time, so P & G thought they could do what they had done with GL, take a traditional soap and "contemporize" it while keeping the core. I have no idea why it didnt work on ATWT but the Hughes were decimated.

• Members

They also had fairly terrible producers in Bartholomew and Bunin to contend with at ATWT.

Their transition to ATWT also coincided with the explosion of ABC Daytime, so they were likely being forced to ‘ABCfy’ the show. ATWT always had the reputation for being the most traditional and old school soap, and was often the soap cited at the time as being “uncool” when GH and AMC exploded in popularity in the late 70’s/early 80’s.

At GL, they came in at a time where they likely had more freedom and support from P&G to really tell the types of stories they wanted. Their GL is pretty amazing soap, and I definitely think it surpasses Marland’s tenure in overall quality, IMO. It still felt like a P&G soap, but very contemporary and modern in its own unique way.

• Members

GL always had more emotion, and you're all right that in 1975..P & G probably let the Dobson's work their magic and were more patient since ATWT & AW were flying high while SFT were on rebirth of ratings at that time. 

They also didn't drop Cendella's plots or characters when they took over..just updated things over time.  

I've watched a few episodes of their 1980 stint on ATWT..and it wasn't bad..but I think P & G needed to let the Dobson's work to update things without demanding instant results.  ATWT needed a lot more work in 1980 than GL did in 1975.  

Edited by Soaplovers

• Members

The Dobsons wrote for GL from early 75 through December 1979. Marland took over in Jan 1980 and wrote the show until near end of 82, I think.  Pat Smith and L. Virginia Brown each wrote the show for a few weeks/months, but I can't find any youtube episodes from their short periods.  I know the Cullitons/Tomlin were interim head writers from early March 1983 until May when Long started.  I found episodes with credits during that time.

Edited by RavenWhitney

• Members

I watched some of the Marland era, but even than..headwriters were propping their creations.   It's natural and not always a bad thing.

However, I didn't Carrie at all...not because of Jane Elliot..but it wasn't a strong character imho.  So what was the reason why Potter ended the story early?  It did sort of end suddenly.

• Members

He came back for a couple episodes to see Tammy after Sandy's death and visited Lizzie(Rylan had just taken over) for like an ep. 

In the transition period from Weston to Kriezman a lot of old references came popping up. It was just a relief after Weston's GL had completely twisted and ruined all GL canon that existed prior to 2003.