Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Trish was the first Lewis - she was Andy Norris' (Holly's bad seed brother) battered wife. After he was locked up, she became involved with Ross in business and sometimes pleasure, and Josh, then a bad boy (basically an Andy who was not going around knocking seven bells out of women), joined her in Springfield. When Pam Long and Gail Kobe came in, they brought in Billy and HB (both of whom had been mentioned for years) and Mindy. 

Trish was always much more serious than the rest of the family, and Rebecca Hollen was a very understated, intelligent actress. It's very jarring to see her go from the drab, depressing style of the Marland years to the big hair and big ole fur coat look of Kobe/Long.

She was written out in 1985 (not sure if it was her choice or the show's). She briefly returned for HB's funeral and the last Josh/Reva wedding.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I agree, but then, I still have no idea why the only time they brought back Amanda Spaulding was as a madam and plot device. They really just had no idea what made any sense - it's a miracle GL lasted those last 15 years...

• Members

Blind item in SOD at the time was that Patti was fired for weight gain. Selena had gone from sexy wrap dresses to completely covered up.  

Apparently, you can only get fat if you’re Kim Zimmer, Jordan Clarke, Michael O’Leary or Justin Deas. 

I really enjoyed Patti and Selena. I do feel that Drew could’ve been recast, which would’ve also allowed Max to return. And we could’ve met Miguel Jr if Gus was rewritten to not be her son.  She basically could’ve had her own family. Merged with the Coopers, that would’ve been interesting. 

Rebecca Hollen played the thankless role of Peggy Lazarus on AW, when all its new characters had bizarre names. She was Peter Love’s lawyer/lover.  After that, maybe she found another vocation.  She certainly could’ve livened up GL and been an age-appropriate love interest for any number of men like Ed, Ross (again), Roger or Fletcher. 

• Members

HAHAHA on the weight gain thing.. I think the problem with Patti was that she took the places of characters and actresses in her age range who were not getting story. Also..she thought she could master social media...but she went overboard..she had a fan page and people were actually sending her gifts..shen then publicly took fans on in social media...I think telling some to f*ck off..thinking she ingratiating herself with Zimmer and Newman and Rauch and it backfired.

I thought it would have been funny if she hooked up with Ed Bauer..she was living in the garage apt and friends with Abby..until it was dropped to move her over to Cooperville and she and Deas were intolerable together. The next Bauer matriarch is an ex whore of a mob boss!

• Members

Did any of the Jeva weddings boost GL's ratings? The question came to mind when I looked at my avatar and recalled a thread about soap ratings in the 80s and how supercouple weddings were a big pull (the supposed big ratings for Steve and Betsy's wedding on ATWT which may in fact not have been that big and Patch and Kayla's wedding on Days). I'm not some Jeva stan even though I have them on my avatar, I actually just really like the photo and the colors. I think Josh and Reva as characters and actors are great but I wonder if they had any real influence as a supercouple. 

This is what I found:

1989 Wedding Ratings (This is the only wedding I didn't find ratings for the week of the wedding, but I did find ratings for the week before and after. Wikipedia shows GL ranking 7th overall for the 1988/89 season. The week before and after the wedding, GL also ranked 7th. One thing I noticed for Patch and Kayla's wedding was that the ratings for Days climbed leading up to the wedding and peaked for the week of.) 

Please register in order to view this content

1999 Wedding Ratings (According to Wiki, GL averaged a 3.5 for the 98/99 season. To put it into perspective, GL had a rating between 3.9 and 4.3 from January to mid-March in 1999 with only two weeks below a 4.0. It then remained mostly in the mid-high 3's. The two weeks leading up to the wedding GL scored a 3.6 and the two weeks after scored a 3.5 and 3.8. It also scored a 4.0 the week in June where Max learns Drew isn't his sister.) 

2002 Wedding Ratings (According to Wikipedia, GL averaged a 3.0 for the 2001/2002 season. In early 2002, GL was scoring above or at a 3.0 until NCAA preemptions in early March brought it below a 3.0 (for the first time I believe) it rebounded to a 3.0 for two weeks after but then spent the rest of the season in the mid and high 2's. Not even the wedding helped.)

• Members

Thank you for that info. Those were some underwhelming ratings for Jeva weddings then. 

Meanwhile, Danny and Michelle's 1999 Wedding scored a 4.2, GL's second highest rating that year, and highest overall ranking that year- coming in 5th in HH for the week. 

Please register in order to view this content

However, GL was performing much better in the earlier part of the year as I mentioned before. Nonetheless, it says something about the couple that it was able to rank 5th overall.