Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

Irna would use the same type of writing with Lisa on ATWT, wanting her own place and trying to manipulate Pa Hughes into moving out. It's very clever as beyond being used to define a character, it also pushed the buttons of housewives who either had once been a Lisa or a Bert, or despised women like them.

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Rita and Ed had chemistry, and it was nice to see them in a happier time.  Shame the actress opted not to return in 1989 cause I imagine Long/Curlee would have done Rita justice.  If Maureen was jealous of Holly, imagine what she would have felt about Rita lol

Elizabeth with short hair...who knew.  Another character forgotten that could have been bought back for story and visits in the 80s and beyond.

I assume Dean was another bad news hubby for Sara? 

• Members

Dean was involved in shady dealings with Alan that led to his death, I think - some of it involved smears against Elizabeth to help him get custody of Philip. Blackmail tapes involving Dean and Alan were used by Roger to force Alan to hide him and protect him during and after the rape trial and shooting, and were later used by Diane before Alan turned himself in to the police. Crazy that that subplot would carry all the way through to about 1982. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I would have loved for Joan Collins to be a returned Elizabeth..she got her act together...(and became extremely confident and glam) and comes back for revenge.

I wonder why after Simon left, they didnt ask this Ed back. Its not like they were using Ed as this big stud and MH as we discussed made a great dad kind of guy.

• Members

Richard van Vleet was well-liked by AMC fans so his hiring seemed like an early attempt at the ABC-ification of the P&G soaps. After that I guess they just stuck with Simon, other than a year or two in the late '90s. I do wish they'd asked Mart back. 

That's a great idea about Joan as Elizabeth. A short-term, defined arc would have worked well.

• Members

I've said it before but I think Robert Gentry was the quintessential "Ed" but Mart Hulswit was definitely the most likable. I too wish they would have brought him back. I never liked Peter Simon and I thought Richard van Vleet was a bit of a miscast. 

• Members

@BillBauer thank you for the 1978 episode. I can see why Bridget Dobson disliked the "dead leaves" but I must say the full closing credits theme is gorgeous. It's similar to my issues with "Jalinda's Theme" on ATWT...

The Philip custody material can feel very draining, as it's so heavy and everyone involved is (understandably) very dour; I'm glad that we got some of the scenes with Rita and Ed as a balance. I can see why Rita tested the female audience so much at the time, given how unabashedly sensual Lenore Kasdorf was in the role. It's such a contrast from most other ladies on GL, or on any of the soaps. 

(is this before Roger raped Rita?) 

Millette Alexander is great in these clips - such layered acting and you feel for Sara even though this is very warmed-over material for the character by 1978. 

I do like JoBeth Williams but from the little I've seen of her I wonder if she was miscast as Brandy, who should have been more fun on paper. This guy playing Peter always felt like a weird casting choice as well. 

What an awesome treat. Just love the under current of tension between Elizabeth and Justin. Never seen Elizabeth with short hair. She looks very chic. Peter and Brandy were so BORING. Never seen Dean Blackford before. This must be Sara's last big story. Which is sort of a retread of Lee Gentry saga. Only seen Sara in Dr mode. It's great to see her in a story. Rita and Ed had great chemistry.

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Guiding Light Writers Reunion 

From SOD

Alan Locher will welcome Daytime Emmy-winning former GUIDING LIGHT writers Jim Brown, Dave Kreizman, Jill Lorie Hurst, Courtney Simon and Millee Taggert as guests on his YouTube channel, The Locher Report. They will share inside stories about the characters and stories throughout the years. The interview will take place on Wednesday July 1, at 3 p.m. ET 

https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/new-guiding-light-reunion-scheduled-3/