Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just saw the January 3, 1961 episode. Fun to watch a salty and shady young Bert. Who was a far cry from the sweet loving grandmotherly matriarch she became. Bert's disdain for Robin was thinly veiled. Even from only seeing one episode. Robin came across as a very complex character. This Mike had a boyish face and really deep voice. Really liked Papa Bauer. He was a kindly, earthy, stable presence amidst the drama. 

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

GL was the top-rated soap throughout the 50s, right? I can see why - of all the 15-minute soaps I've seen, they really did the best with the format. This entire episode was just wrought with tension that built and built, and by the time Mike says he needs to talk to Robin before he leaves, you can't look away! And those two tiny but so enormous gestures of Robin shaking Mike's hand as he leaves and then Bert barely able to stop herself from grabbing Robin and shaking her senseless. Topped off with the rising organ and slow zoom in on Robin's face. It's just so beautifully done.

I know ATWT came in hot as a 30-minute soap and shot to the top because it could do more with its timeslot, but there's something to be said about these "drop-in visits" that the 15-minute soaps feel like.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

I much preferred the 15-minute format. 30 tops. The hour-long format just meant they had to add a lot of boring filler material and the cost of production for an hour-long show is what ultimately led to their demise. If the shows were still 15 minutes, they might still be on the air. Alas, you can't go back. 

• Members

If you think about it, the 15 minute format is perfect for the mobile-first generation of now. People crave short-form content on their mobile devices and tablets, no one is going to sit through an hour-long show or feature film unless they absolutely have to on their mobile devices. 15 minute shows are perfect for people on the go or people doing things like commuting to work in the AM. 

• Members

I love 30-minute drama and wish that it was still a thing like it was in primetime throughout the 50s and 60s. I used to think a soap airing 15 minutes a day was ridiculous because how could the story advance at all? But I've learned that it was its own type of soap with its own conventions and process. Part of what makes that GL ep pop is that it's all focused on one story beat, and when that climax hits, that's it - it's gone for the day. There's no swapping back and forth between different types of stories, there's no mood-changer - you're immersed in this tense sht, and that's it.

I know I have friends who don't have a problem watching shows on their phones, especially on road trips and what-not, but I think it's more in situations where there is no TV to watch on instead. Then again, we're all just over 30, at 30, or pushing 30, so we are no longer the young and fun ones

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I doubt it would have done much to salvage Quibi, but they missed an opportunity at not having any 10-15 minute soaps on their platform. Instead we got a woman with a golden arm...????

I agree. The 15-minute episodes of GL are popping most of the time - only when we get into stuff like Kathy whimpering about her love life does my interest fade a bit. It helps that these years were when Bert was so riddled with insecurity and was at times so vicious. Charita lights up the screen. I could watch her and Papa all day long. 

It was ok. Nothing great very sanitized. As per usual. At least there were no technical problems. Alan loves Carmen going after Michelle. That got so boring and played out. Interesting to learn that Danny was supposed to be Italian. PAS called Peapack bizarre 

I think i'll pass on this one. Even though i like Gina. Plus i don't like Alan or the fake bargain basement Mallet. Or the bland and basic chick who played  Marina. After Aubrey Dollar left.  I wish Alan had the balls for a reunion with Rob and Beth

An aging Beth raging at Rob . Would be soapy fun to watch. I don't want to know what fancy expensive college their kids go to. I never cared for Cryus. But i'm glad Murray has had a good career after GL died.