Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Rob is the reason Beth went off the rails, honey. 

She left her husband and he said he’d leave his wife. He didn’t. 

But then he did for Mandy. 

Sign me up for the Beth/Rob reunion, also featuring Vincent and Kimberly. 

• Members

I actually preferred Robert Bogue to Mark Derwin (who was garbage for his last 2 years in the role and helped ruin the show for me), but the backstage stuff is so toxic it's hard to get past. I just wish he'd stuck with Dinah as he had a lot of chemistry with her, no matter how much he wanted to play-act with that bad acting Marina recast. At least they got together in the end, I guess. 

Here's a short Nancy Malone (the Robin after the one we saw in the January 1961 episode) interview. She doesn't say much about her time at GL though. 

• Members

Loved loved loved Robert Bogue. It was weird when he began showing up in major video games, including doing the physical model work in addition to his voice. (Both he and OLTL's Doris Belack were in the last two Grand Theft Autos!)

• Members

I like Bogue too..but I would kick him out of bed in a minute for still sexy bald Derwin!

Too bad the behind the scenes stuff was more sordid and interesting then the show. Hot married Douche(rumored by a gay gossip site to have a uh, physical reason the women go mad over him) screws married woman, (Ehlers was married right?) Woman expects Hot Douche to leave wife, he plans to then changes his mind.  Newly bitter middle ages woman tries to get Hot Douche fired..all kinds of drama happens in the on the edge of collapse company headed by a neurotic, hyper emotional person in over her head.  Hot Douche meets a firmer, younger, most likely dumber and much blander girl and then DOES leave his wife. Raging bitter middle aged woman goes NUTS and off the rails..Annie Dutton style without violence.

Good stuff!

• Members

As I mentioned in the ATWT history thread, I found some old files on my old computer today. For GL, I found a document which had like tidbits from the radio shows. I don't know the source unfortunately, but I thought it might be interesting to share here, in case you guys wanna read it. Sorry, if this has already been shared. 

1930s

The Guiding Light premieres on radio, based in Chicago (1/25/37)

Ned Holden and Mary Ruthledge are engaged (1937)

Abe Kransky dies from influenza (1937)

Fredrika shoots and kills Paul Holden (1938)

Rose Kransky has child out of wedlock (1939)

1940-1944

Ned and Mary get married (6/41)

Johnny Kransky dies in an automobile accident (1941)

Ellis Smith and Torchy Reynolds Holden marry (1942)

Norma Greenman dies of a heart attack (1943)

1945-1949

Dr. Richard Gaylord becomes minister in Five Points (1945)

GL moves production to Hollywood (1946)

Reverend Ruthledge (Arthur Peterson) dies (1946)

Tim Lawrence dies in a plane crash (7/46)

Dr. Jonathan MacNeill marries Claire Lawrence (10/46)

Theo Goetz originates role of Frederick (Papa) Bauer (1947)

Ray and Charlotte marry (1947)

Dr. Charles Matthews opens the Church of the Good Samaritan in Selby Flats, CA, the story's new location (1947)

Roger Collins marries Susan McClain (1948)

Meta Bauer (Jone Allison) poses as Jan Carter (7/48)

GL production moves to New York from Hollywood; GL story moves from Five Points, USA to Selby Flats, CA (1949)

Bert Miller (Ann Shepherd) and Bill Bauer (Lyle Sudrow) are married (12/9/49)

Mama Bauer dies (12/49)

• Members

She was married.

This was also around the time of the Stephanie Gatschet/Tom Pelphrey/Gina Tognoni alleged love dramas. 

There were so many crazy rumors and stories it was hard sometimes to keep up. I remember someone back then claiming that Ehlers had also tried to make a pass at Bartlett, who was, needless to say, not interested.