Y&R Episode Discussion for the week of July 13

• Members

Anyone get the feeling that this Phillip III storyline is partly to prop Cane and to drum up sympathy for that character? I mean, here we have Phillip III defending his reasons for abandoning his family, lashing out at them, being so smug about everything, and he's totally unsympathetic. Yet they're trying to portray Cane as the wounded victim who just got caught in the crossfire and didn't realize the harm he was doing. Granted, this he was a MAN in his 30's when he went about being apart of this scheme, so wanting this loving family thing that badly at this point in his life requires quite a bit suspension of disbelief. Also, we have Phillip III defending Cane, who had just come back to the Chancellor mansion to apologize and tell them he's leaving town for good, and Phillip III telling everyone how Cane is the much better son he could ever be and the one they shouldn't let walk away.

So, again, why the hell are the propping Cane? Regardless of whose scheme it was, Cane scammed Jill and Katherine! Why the hell should we buy this story and feel sorry for this character? It's like the hacks running this show saw that a lot of people on the message boards, minus the LAME fans, hated Cane and saw him as totally arrogant. In the process they saw through resurrecting the real Phillip III they could push some gay agenda for buzz and attention and try to make Cane a more sympathetic character in process, regardless of what that character participated in. The fact that Bierdz only has a 6 month contract is also kind of telling. Is Daniel Goddard loved that much by TPTB there for them to force this crap on us? Cane no longer has any blood ties to anyone on the show, and since the canvas it already overcrowded, it would have been an ideal time to write him out. It's like they're trying so badly to make this character work at the expense of others. Also, why should we care this badly about a character that could be so easily written out and one that had his blood ties revoked?

God, I really wish they'd stop putting Katherine and Jill in scenes together. Their bickering since the FLOP follow-through of them not being mother and daughter has been plot-driven and annoying. This writing regime totally do not get the Katherine/Jill dynamic, much like they don't get the Victor/Jack dynamics. Now Katherine and Jill are bickering over some of the most nonsensical things I've ever seen them bicker about, and they're doing it constantly.

I'm so OVER Adam and Patty Jane. Thursday's US episode proved what cartoon characters these core have turned into with this writing regime. Patty ordering a saucer of milk for her dead cat? WTF!??! Kitty was great as talk to for Patty Jane, but now this is just getting into Passions territory again. And Adam, god, I'm so sick of him and I think he needs to spend a few years in prison off screen. This character has been ruined with this writing regime's need to explore his dark side, and only that side of him. He's totally a cartoon villain now. It's a shame since both of these core characters had so much more potential and they could have been much more complex than these idiot writers give them credit for.

Oh and Nick coming to Sharon and her telling him to go be with Summer and Phyllis? Where have I seen this before? Oh yeah, almost EVERY WEEK for the past 6 months! :rolleyes:

Ugh, Maria Arena Bell, Hogan Sheffer, and Scott Hamner need to be fired...

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The problem with your theory is that the only reason they would need to prop Cane in this fashion is BECAUSE they're doing the Phillip story. If he hadn't returned from the dead, Cane wouldn't be in this situation and they wouldn't be trying to make us feel sorry for him. It's not like Cane was an unsympathetic character before the con reveal.

• Members

I don't think it was the main reason they did this retcon, I think it was a side effect that they badly wanted to explore. I think they thought by resurrecting Phillip III from the dead, they could please those who hated Cane being the Chancellor heir, while trying to shed a more sympathetic light on Cane and attempt to give the character a bit more depth.

This Phillip III story has been as much about Cane's struggle coping with the scam he helped pull off as it has been about Phillip III reconnecting with the family he gave away. Only Phillip III is totally obnoxious about it, while Cane is painted as some saint who made a bad decision.

And in the end, they only gave Bierdz a 6 month contract and probably only plotted up that amount of time for Phillip III, and we know Goddard has a longer contract and they intend on making him last a while longer on this show, and this story is probably used to propel another side of that character. Of course, they could also extend Bierdz's contract, but it's very rare that this show offers 6 month deals.

I disagree. I found him to be self-righteous and arrogant prior to the reveal. Only now are we seeing some sort of complexity and flawed facade from this character. Before, they wrote him as some perfect stand up dude who didn't dare do anything wrong, completely forgetting he had a bit of wild streak during his first two months or so in town. He wasn't a nasty, villainous, or a scummy character, the utter arrogance of the character seemed to be intended to make at least some part of the audience not like this character and feel no sympathy for him.

• Members

Some things that I feel could have been done better.

The wedding. Why isn't Y&R playing up the Camp? Patty Jane should have also been sporting that black long wig of Adam's, only with the hair completely covering her face like those Japanese horror films, and their rip offs do. While that started out as scary, it is now so overused it is just plain funny, but would make more sense that Ashley would buy into it. Who couldn't tell it was Patty with her face showing?

Gloria and Jeff, thinking that they were going to get enough money from Victor to buy a yacht or a plane for setting Dumblean up? Are they that delusional that they think she means that much to him? They would be lucky if Victor paid for their rent for a month, which should be due, or maybe picked up one evenings tab at the club.

As for Dumblean, what a cheap drunk if three long island ice teas gets her so drunk she starts flashing the universe. As much as that bartender might be interesting, I would have sooner seen Collen getting drunk and laying a big smackaroo on JT. Could you just imagine Victor's reaction to Glowho and Jeff if they uploaded video of his SIL kissing the un-wanted board member and then acted like they did what he asked? That would add some tension to the JT/Vic marriage without going to extremes. Showing up late to a wedding is just not cutting it for me as a reason for her sudden loss of interest in JT. I also found that Mac and JT have far more chemistry than either of their current two pairings so they should explore that.

At this point, my interest in everyone is waning. Well maybe not in Chance, but it was his first day and I didn't hate him right off the bat, lol.

What was the point of MJ planting the wallet on Sharon? Was there any fall out from that? I think it would have been much more compelling if she planted the cookies as well. While the Quad might not think Sharon would poison the child, the Dipshit DA could prosecute and maybe for once and for all, be canned from the job for her Newman vendetta.

• Members

Dr: Taylor: I'm not a psychiatrist so I can't make that kind of diagnosis... [Obviously Olivia would've been able to help and cure her LMAO)

Victor: ... What do you think we should do?

Dr. Taylor: Right now she should get a lot of rest...

WHAT THE [!@#$%^&*]!!!!

Ashley's stubborn? Victor doesn't know how to handle this? Victor's asking the doctor how to handle Ashley's mental breakdown like he's an idiot like Daniel? Unbelievable.

That's crazy how MM looks into SH's eyes unlike everyone else's. Does she know he's blind?

IA to whoever groaned about Case's hairstyle retread.

Now Lily's free to be with someone else. Yuck. How about being free, you mangy iic.

Why is Sharon still Mrs. Abbott? I thought they were divorced. Why is she keeping that name?

Nick's confused/shocked face during his conversation with Adam was pretty hilarious. What was your motivation, Morrow? And for him to ask what Adam's doing with Ashley's clothing etc. then saying he doesn't give a damn what the hell he does????? That scene must've been written in five minutes.

• Members

I'm filling in the gap with a scene we DIDN'T see that might explain this.....

[Fade to Victor in the study, lighting up his crack pipe]

Victor takes a hit.

The good Doctor knocks on the door....

Victor takes another hit.

Dr: "Mr. Newman! Obviously I've come at a bad time"

Victor: "Have a seat, Doc. I got something to help you relax,alllright"

Dr: "I couldn't possibly"

Victor: "I insist, ya got that?"

Dr. Taylor takes a hit

[Fade to what we saw in the Newman living room]

:lol::lol:

• Members

OMG Driscoll is dreamy. Like an older Kevin Schmidt; they seem to have the same vibe. :wub:

Um, Lily's not frigile? Since when? Since the last time she was an independent woman going after her own goals and dreams and not relying on manboy after manboy for happiness? Wait, that's never been the case has it? <_<

And Mary Jane hasn't showered in days and has been scampering around the natural setting of the ranch. Did she wash up with the hose around the back lol?

• Members

I really hate how I don't care that Lily may have cancer. They should've given Jana the brain tumor thing, like MarkH's been saying. That would've been a much more poignant long-term health scare story.

Dru's absence is quite apalling. Is someone gonna mention her?

• Members

:lol: :lol: That explains EVERYTHING! Thanks Greg's GL. It may explain the Quad's behavior too....

Cane's convo with Amber makes no sense logicially. Cane should not be lecturing Amber about her secrets. Come on.

What's crazy with Lily is that she may die and no one will discuss Malcolm as if he doesn't exist. His daughter may die and he gets nothing. Damn.

• Members

They.Need.Dru.Back.NOW. There's a glaring hole in this show without her. JMHO. But

then again, I'd hate for them to bring her back only to be seen once or twice a month...so....

;) Yeah! Sharon the crack whore! :lol: Too funny.

So they aren't even talking about Malcolm either?!?! No mention of DRU or MALCOLM? WTF??? :wacko:

I wish I could be watching the show live right now with ya, my friend. You're making some EXCELLENT posts today. ;)

But I'm stuck at the office..

• Members

I can't wait to see Driscoll in action. I'm still having a hard time imagining that long, tall, lean drink of water coming out of Nina and P3. Since he was previously played by Penn Badgely and the kid from Home Alone 3, I guess I could still imagine those smaller fellas in this role.

I'm still holding out for the tumor, even though THERE HAS BEEN TOO MUCH DEATH. Lily shouldn't be dealing with this, just like Summer shouldn't be brain damaged (though I understand this this is both realistic and it ties Nick out of obligation for a long time), and ... well ... actors whose contracts are expiring should have characters who just leave and visit their mothers (not die).

Archived