Y&R Episode Discussion for the week of July 13

• Members

There's so many holes in all of these stories and they all require such a huge suspension of disbelief, and when they're plotted, paced, and executed so terribly, it's a classic example of why people think soaps are stupid and soap fans are nutty for watching this crap. They're intentionally making this show into a joke. I realize this is a soap and some things will always be unrealistic, but with this show lately, it's like they don't even try to base some of these front-burner stories in reality or that's the way it's coming off to me.

And I agree about Adam. I'm so sick of him, not the actor's fault, it's all on the writing. He's so one-note and boring to me now. He's increasingly being written into a corner and this regime only seems interested in only exploring this one side of him, Patty Jane too. It would probably less harder to swallow if both weren't core characters that had so much potential in various directions. It's a shame really.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was blown away when Phillip told Nina that. It was obvious Chance was glad to be with Nina, Kay & Jill. What the [!@#$%^&*] was that all about? Seriously, Phillip looks like he is on drugs or something because he is making zero sense since his return. If he does get paired with who we think he is no one will be rooting for him in that relationship.

• Members

When the show gives me something to rave about, I'll do it. I didn't see anyone complaining about me constantly praising the show at the end of last year and earlier this year, when it was decent.

If you want to post, then do it, no one is stopping you. This is a discussion thread, a variety of opinions are expected. I may post more than the average poster, but so what? You're free, as is everyone else, to contribute to the discussion.

• Members

I suspect this was the intention of tptb. They wanted us to feel like we want Adam and MJ to stay around and wreak havoc in Genoa City because when they get to this current state where we have to suspend belief, we actually care about what happens to them. Atleast, I hope it was intentional lol.

Yeah, they're hacks and they aren't writing the surrounding characters with interest whatsoever, but it can't be an accident that everyone loves Patty Jane and we've been able to stomach Adam much more than all of his targets in the gaslighting story.

Tptb assumed we'd sympathize with the victims because it's a given. Of course we feel sorry for Phyllis. We've known her for years. Summer didn't deserve this blah blah blah. I have a feeling they start all these storylines with this mindset.

And they really need to stop thinking of this as a primetime show or looking at graphs that say the audience wants quicker pacing and hated when Bill Bell would portray a character's motivation for three months before doing anything. It's a fecking soap opera, people. You want to write like it's in the 21st century but you should write about subjects affecting people in the 21st century not alter the medium.

• Members

This was what I was discussing in a previous thread a few weeks ago - about beating a drum so often that eventually people just get used to the sound and don't notice it anymore.

I happen to have "known" Y&RWOrldTurner for a couple years now, and absolutely respect him and his opinions. But unfortunately, his point is getting lost due to constant repetition. And while I don't disagree with a lot of the points he's making, the fact that it's hammered home constantly over and over again in multiple threads gives the wrong message that he shouldn't be taken seriously - when in fact, he should be taken seriously.

But that's the last time I'll say it. I don't want to sound like a broken record myself. :)

• Members

Like the repetition of "Oh soaps will be gone in a few years." or "Oh, Y&R was GREAT today. I know it has it's flaws, but it was great. Like honey on a Blowpop! YUM!"

Maybe what the Potpourri thread is designed to do is counter all of this positive feedback we so clearly disagree with.

• Members

Well now, that wasn't very fair. I always call the soap out when I think it sucks. I find good and I find bad. In fact, just today I said the Phillip story is a train wreck.

It was. But it's in a few threads. Look, I think Alvin's fantastic. I always have. He'll tell you that. I'm not telling him not to post, I'm just trying to help him get his message across in a way that doesn't make him appear like a fanatic, that's all.

ETA: And daytime soaps will be gone in a few years. And I hope to still be posting here talking about how good it used to be. :D

• Members

But I really don't care who "notices" it anymore. I've posted a lot about the individual episodes this week, and if the discussion spirals out of that, I'm certainly not the only one contributing to that. All my rants were based on actual episodes that aired this week, it's not my fault that this show constantly shows stuff that I believe isn't working repeatedly. If I see stuff repeatedly in episode after episode, I'll point it out.

But this week's episode thread has been filled with me discussing the actual episodes, and sometimes the off-topic discussion comes out of that. It takes more than one poster to make a discussion repetitious.

A lot of the stuff in this week's thread have been about stuff I've rarely commented on before. Was my rant about the Phillip IV meeting Phillip III today a repetition? Was my rant about Colleen this week a repetition? Were the holes and pacing problems I've found in stories this week repetition?

• Members

Not at all, A. I've actually LOVED discussing the show with you - both what's working and what's not. I always love it, and I'm glad to see there were a couple things, as brief as they were, that you did like and you said what they were.

I wasn't saying you were doing it today, specifically. Just that the post-er who said something got the point across I was trying to make. You know I think you're a soap genius, especially when it comes to what is considered "quality". I just don't want to see you dismissed as "a crazy Internet soap fan". I want you to be taken seriously. Hell, I want everyone in this thread to be taken seriously. I think there's a lot of good stuff being talked about, underneath all of it.

Bellcurve apparently thinks I'm attacking you, but I'm really not. I hope you know that.

• Members

I do, I just wanted to point out most of my main posts in this thread this week have stemmed from what I saw in actual episodes that aired this week, so I didn't have to repeat too much of what I said before, of course, certain problem on this show occur week after week though.

I just happen to dislike most of the show right now and I'm very vocal about my displeasure. Some might say quit watching, but when you love a show and desperately hope it gets better, it's not easy to quit.

Archived