Y&R Episode Discussion for the week of July 13

• Members

Can someone explain to me WTF is going on with the P3 story?? Where is the emotion?

Dude is back from the dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P4/Chance--unflappably military as he may be--should have been...speechless!

P3 is the most dislikeable, non-reactive, entitled, snarky bitch ever to grace daytime.

Surely this is not what was intended.

==

While I like to see Amber and Cane reconnect...what was that today?? When did Cane become clairvoyant enough to suddenly caution Amber -- about whom he has not thought in years -- to fess up about her past?

==

Mary Jane and Adam are still entertaining, but today....when did she become stupid? I guess she's slipping? Otherwise, why would she be so foolhardy?

And how is it -- with two consecutive actors now -- that Adam is a whiner. When Victor called him on his "histrionics", I thought "that's a very appropriate turn of phrase."

==

I love this show, but Friday's episode was the weakest I have seen in forever. Even the Friday "cliffhanger"--Cane just walking out of Crimson Lights--was way understated.

What is happening?

The only emotional truth I felt today was Olivia. Even there, the story is compromised because they cannot tell the story of Olivia's ridiculous miracle recovery from her tumor. And I guess Nina, beaming so joyously at her "boy".

Some heart has to be injected into P3's story and soon. Because right now, I wanna drive the f*cker off a cliff.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL at Mark...you sure changed your tune about Y&R. The show could do no wrong in your eyes.

I noticed the Chance reaction to Phillip. At first I thought it was odd he didnt react but looking at it .....it was the right emotion for him. He doesnt know him. It's like me when I see my godparents I have no emotion because they were never part of my life. So I could care less either way. So I can see Chance being that way.

P3 behavior is just bizzare and I just dont get it. Nina's exp​ressions today about P3 behavior were on the lines of how I felt.

• Members

I think they've actually taken steps in recent months to try to disconnect us more from the characters. I don't know if they planned for viewers to root for Mary Jane and have no time for anyone in the quad from hell. I think she is a short term character and they wanted her to be seen as such. Since they have had her become more and more openly crazy and isolated (poisoning Summer, losing her job and sharing most of her scenes with Adam, the stuffed cat being referenced day in and day out), it seems like I've seen less interest in MJ, and I think that is what they want.

I have no idea what their plans are for Adam. I stopped caring once the recast showed up and we got those ridiculous monologues about how he didn't mean to hurt a woman he terrorized for months on end.

• Members

Look at all this negativity and I'm not the one hammering it through. :lol::P

But really, the fan reaction of this show is amazingly negative across the internet in various places, I really do believe many long-term fans are just fed up with this show's current creative direction

I feel like they're throwing the most irredeemable and nasty things at Adam to do for the heck of it. Because of that, he's become so one-dimensional and boring to me. There's no depth or complexity anymore, and he's being played too much. I'm so sick of seeing him.

• Members

Exactly, I don't see how this is propping Cane in the least. If anything I thought the character was thrown under the bus for this storyline. The fact is DG is showing he's a very good actor and is spinning crap into gold! He's making viewers feel sympathy for him despite the crappy writing. This is the mark of a good actor, DG said he took PB advice and just do your best with the writing and make it your own and he has. Look at it this way, if TB was playing Cane right now, it would be a incredible disaster. Its DG that's making Cane credible. Just as if DG was playing Phillip, I think I would feel more then what I'm currently feeling which is nothing.

Cane was made into a con

Lying since he hit town

But the most incredulous of rewrites was the delia sl. He knew all this time that Billy was Delia's father. So he married Chloe anyhow, gave up Lily and even worse fought for Delia after the fact. Pray tell how in the world was this supposed to be propping the character?

The writing isnt helping Phillip but neither is TB whose making him come off as emotionless and remorseless, I can barely stand to watch him in scenes anymore. I'll say it, one of the worse mistakes they ever made was making Cane NOT be Jill's son. PTb totally underestimated the viewers, fans are rally behind the 'handsome Aussie' despite the hand that he was dealt.

• Members

I completely agree. Think how angry Cane was at Kaye when he first heard about the baby switch. Then he turned his back on her when he thought she could be a fraud. I have a lot of sympathy for DG in all this (it's hard to play layers when the story keeps changing), but this story has shown me that away from CK he is a good actor.

• Members

Because they're exposing the guilt Cane felt, they're genuinely showing that he felt sorry for his actions, they're showcasing him as the perfect son for Jill, even though he lied to her. Contrast that with Phillip III, who is abrasive, blames his family for all the decisions he made, and completely nasty to those same people that Cane is being written to care for. That isn't in Goddard's performance, that's in the writing. They're writing Phillip III as a complete assh*le, while Cane is being portrayed as the guilted saint who made a bad decision.

TB sucks, there's no denying that, but the writing for him since his introduction hasn't given us anything to care for. All I see is a smug bastard who blames everyone else for his problems. Cane used to be arrogant and self-righteous as hell to me, well now, Phillip III takes the cake on that, while Cane is being portrayed as the lovable dude who although took a bad turn and lied to everyone, did it with the best of intentions. He isn't being written in the abrasive way Phillip III is.

The writing sucks all around, but I perceive this to be more writing than acting choices.

• Members

So much word, Mark. It's just a huge disappointment on an epic level. This story had so many layers, so much to explore from so many different angles - the father. The son. The ex-wife. The controlling mother. The powerful grandmother who herself dallied and experimented once upon a time. It SHOULD have been ground-breaking and genius. Instead, it's just a head-scratcher. There's easily a year's worth of CRAZY-intense episodes here. Instead we got - well. I don't know what this is. It's just a huge disappointment.

• Members

I think they could have easily undid Cane as Jill's son/Phillip III WITHOUT resurrecting the real Phillip III (and forcing us to watch TB "act") and crapping on so much history and the common sense of viewers.

I never liked Cane as the real Phillip III, it never made sense and again, crapped on so much history. But they could have undid this retcon without doing another retcon that crapped on as much history as the initial retcon.

I do not like Cane, but he could have survived on the show either way, and it looks like they're writing Cane in the long-term, while the real Phillip III seems to be a short-term arrangement.

• Members

You know... I agree, today's episode was not too good at all. Driscoll was ok, but DANG... they didn't write much for him, did they? I have been pinning all my hopes on this Phillip SL, and damn if it isn't going off the tracks so fast I can't freaking BELIEVE IT! And it's NOT Thom's acting (Although I will level this criticizm.... Thom needs to STOP nodding his head like that, and PRONTO! It drives me BATSHIT crazy! ) Analyze the lines he's given to read, how else could you act them, except to be a distant, smug !@#$%^&*]. I wanted to see him be sorry and tortured, and then Rafe could help him get over his pain and come to grips with what he'd done. I wanted to see LOTS of detailed scenes between him and Jill, ther'es an embarrassment of riches there to collect, and the writers are just standing around the entrance of the mine with their thumbs up their butts. This, and the lack of character development for Rafe is hacking me OFF. Kahlil was one of the highlights today, and that should tell you something right there.

• Members

The P3 reaction today...he was a jerk, but to me, they continue to write him as a jerk, and I'm ok with that. He is a selfish jerk thinking about himself. I don't know, maybe it's after watching Bianca on AMC and Luke on ATWT, I'm kinda enjoying a core character like P3 that is gay and is an ass.

I may be the only one, but I don't want to see Rafe and P3 in any sort of story--one, because it's the idea "well it's the 2 gay people in town so of course they would date" and 2, Rafe to me is still a character that serves no purpose beyond the plot point of showing Adam willing to do anything to cover his tracks. Now it goes to the more insulting level to me that they wrote the Adam and Rafe stuff just for that purpose, but saying the character development for Rafe is missing assumes there is some to begin with.

I'm not surprised the P3 storyline is getting pimped around to the idea of pushing Cane--cause really, it is all about him. That's getting old. I think the less I see of him I might start to actually feel for him, but seeing him do the I'm sorry dance all around town doesn't win points to me.

MJ-Adam--I've got to say, they've more to FF for me. What was good at one point has turned into nothing more than lets see what horrible thing Adam and MJ does, and it's boring.

• Members

I don't think P3 is being used as a core character. He has no real relationships which are being explored. His only real function was to help make Cane more sympathetic and to help bring Chance onto the show.

There's nothing in the story which is any type of contrast to his behavior, it's just him being a jerk and then lots of somewhat wet reactions from everyone around him.

• Members

I thought that she just had no clothes because Victor had them packed for her and shipped to Rio while she escaped to the ranch with the clothes on her back. I like the image of MJ showering with the garden hose someone posted earlier, but maybe she climbed in Adam's window and had a shower. I never understood why he goes off on his wild jaunts without turning on the shower for the frequent intruders. I'd like a scene where Heather or Rafe strips down only to find themselves showering alone.

What kind of image is Y&R trying to send to viewers about gay men with Rafe and Phillip? Both have abandoned their family for a little cock. I could see where Phillip seeing the women in his life still acting the same way they did 20 years ago might make him feel somewhat justified, but the least he could do is show some regret over abandoning his child to the care of those same women. As for Rafe, maybe if he'd gotten lost in those creepy "puppy dog" eyes a few times before suspecting Adam of setting up his aunt, one might buy the feelings.

I think the majority of the viewers who are dissatisfied are going to turn off the tv and spend their time doing something else. To me the internet and communities like this, provide a reason to continue watching that the writers are not.

• Members

That's probably it, I thought Victor asked her to pack her bags and get ready to leave town though. Eh, it doesn't matter. I wonder if Ashley will find out Adam's been given her dresses to some psycho in a potting shed. If I were Nick, I would have asked Ashley, like Adam dared him to about why her dresses were being taken out of the house by Adam. I wonder if Nick will ever slip that bit of info onto Victor.

:lol::lol::lol:

I don't think they want to send out any images. I think they used a gay element in these stories to create some type of buzz and perhaps to attract some sort of rabid/vocal following that will support anything in regards to homosexuality, like many of the Nuke fans. But I think it's totally backfiring on them thus far.

I agree, both have been so poorly developed and defined in their respective storylines. I really think Rafe will be written out when this storyline concludes, and it's probably for the best at this point. He's just a meaningless plot point that they obviously don't want to flesh out. There was absolutely no sufficient build-up to this Rafe/Adam thing, which makes it very hallow. Phillip III's resurrection was a misstep and everything about that story has been botched. Even a little remorse from Phillip III would go a long way at this point, but I don't think they're interested in that.

I agree, especially with the last part.

Archived