Y&R Episode Discussion for the week of July 13

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The people at Y&R now don't seem to like to play emotional beats. Scenes between friends, family, complex bonds. I guess the people at Y&R who did that were dumped during the LML era, or the Jack Smith era.

After what they did with Cane/Billy, a relationship which could have been interesting turned into Billy resenting him and being insecure and petty and Cane being a self-righteous jerk, I was hoping they would limit Billy/Phillip scenes. I don't think there is one relationship Billy has with anyone in his family that I like. The closest was with Jack, but that's gone now thanks to the fling with Sharon. At this point I'd rather they just make him Victor's child because I don't buy him as an Abbott and he seems so much like Victor and Nick and even Adam (he even looks like Nick and Adam).

• Members

As I mentioned in the other thread, Thom Bierdz's acting style reminds me of a Down Syndrome sufferer.

And I totally agree, those scenes in the Chancellor living room were anticlimactic, poorly acted, and lacked any real depth. I always use the word hallow in regards to this show, but really, I can't think of a better word. So much of what they're trying to tell falls flat - whether its the dialogue, the pacing, bets being ignored, the inexcusable retcons, or other poorly defined traits.

Though, I did like Katherine going off on Phillip III, her characterization seems the truest out of everyone in this storyline.

• Members

Let me add, Phillip III coming out to his family should have taken WEEKS to unfold. This was so rushed and I just couldn't connect to the material. I already hate the re-write yes, but if they had taken their time to play these important beats, things would be a lot more digestible. Right now, it just seems rushed, void of any emotional substance, and just blah...

• Members

What I couldn't get over with Monday's show was Niny telling Billy to leave so Phillip can explain. Like he doesn't have a right to know why he never got to meet his older brother, the brother Jill conceived as a chance to be a mother again. She treated him like one could maybe expect Chloe to be treated if she was sitting around in the Chancellor living room, eating it all up. Up until now I have actually been on her side of this.

Billy works far better with TB playing Phillip, as the ages at least make it conceivable that P3 could be 20 years older, unlike DG/Cane who looks too young. I still hope they make P4 older because I am tired of all this messing of timelines to suit the sorassing.

I saw that picture and it so fitted the current state of Y&R.

Anyone else hoping that Patty will get a little nookie from Adam? I'm kinda excited about these two nutters finding eachtoher and making a fruit cake together.

• Members

Y&RWorldTurner, Y&R isn't the only soap to not remember they have 5 days a week and can play beats as much as they want but since this is the one we repeatedly hear called classic soap, it's disappointing when they rush over details. They seem to have these story ideas and then burn through them. Meanwhile other stories, like Ashley's dead baby drama or the ShickPhick fiasco, go on forever.

• Members

The amount of chemistry Stacy Haiduk has with the other actors -- and Miss Kitty -- is crazy. Seriously, Michael Muhney's Adam came properly alive in his scenes with her last week. It was like a meeting of the minds. Psychotic soulmates! There is romantic chem there but quite honestly MJ needs a love interest like JT first (another character she clicked with after two lines of dialogue) and Adam is already banging enough people as it is. I'd rather they made these two the most twisted of best friends. Right before they rehabilitate the character of Patty Jane, of course. :)

• Members

More live ramblings, for what it's worth...

It takes a damn fine actress to sell a whole scene of talking to herself. (Just ask any female cast member of DOOL) Stacy Haiduk somehow pulls it off. I hate the device, but she definitely makes it work better than most.

This whole Dr. Taylor/Adam thing just seems like a necessary evil. I couldn't help but laugh at Dr. Taylor squirming during the sonogram.

I wish these Phillip/Cane scenes were more about emotional stuff as opposed to just recapping the story for people who missed it last week.

Loving Nina versus Billy/Jill. Although I do agree with Alvin - the reveal of Phillip being gay is being rushed like nobody's business. They have six months to tell this story - why are they doing everything in a handful of episodes??? Anybody else feel like we missed out on some Phillip/Nina scenes last week?

Okay - Jess Walton's delivery of "Gay?!" was pretty awesome. Still - why are they rushing this?? Damn you, Y&R, for making me repeat myself.

I really wish Lauralee would come back for this story. Talking about her today - she really should have been a part of this. I hope it gets addressed at some point.

CRINGEWORTHY LINE OF THE DAY: Phillip: "Every day I ached with lonliness". Ew. Really?

I really like these Cane/Mac scenes. They make a lot of sense to me. Mac would absolutely be the first one to hear Cane out. And I'm really loving Cane and Billy's rivalry, as I always have. Goddard and Miller are great up against each other.

I hate how brushed over Billy/Phillip was. Somebody else said this (I think it was caramia?), but it's a shame their first meeting was practically ignored.

LOVED Katherine's "You took the coward's way out". Loved it. And when Jeanne Cooper started to break down, it just broke my heart. For a second, it was like the 80's again. I felt it in Thom's reaction, and I felt it in JC's delivery. Heart-breaking.

Adam and Patty are a lot of fun to watch, I have to admit. "Is that a cat? I can bring some chow" LMAO!!!!!!

And what is up with Phillip just randomly walking out on people? I know it's probably a metaphor for what he did twenty years ago, but it's really awkward to end these scenes with a smirk, dead silence, and then turning around and leaving without anybody saying anything. Somebody needs to seriously call him out on this crap, unless it's a directing choice - and if it is, it's a really bad one.

It was an okay show. Nothing that made me want to pull my hair out, but a lot of wasted potential, saved by a couple good moments.

Archived