Y&R Episode Discussion for the week of July 13

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I believe she retired due to health issues. On the subject of this MJ storyline, the writers need to let at least Phyllis, Nick, and Paul lash out at Victor for bringing MJ to town. Victor brought Paul's sister to GC when she was just living her life and she nearly killed Summer.

• Members

Walton has barely had anything to do in this story. Tricia's had a much bigger role.

I think Jill is on her way out. I'm just nervous that it's going to end up being in some other "shocking" storyline. I would rather see her leave with Phillip when TB departs. Or go stay with Liz.

• Members

I honestly don't see them writing Jill out. They wanted JW they just wanted her at a cheaper price. Remember she is the mother of Billy and P3 and grandmother of P4. She is also the mother figure to Cane. Her family has really expanded under MAB.

I think she is playing a tough part in this story because she is trying to make excuses for P3 when his actions are inexcusable. Maybe that is why she seems to have little to do in this story, but she still is in the story. Obviously, my perspective is different since my favorites are being minimized and ignored, but I think Jess Walton will be around for awhile, even if she becomes more of a support for her family.

Plus I see a definite softening in Jill and Kay's relationship, so Jill doesn't have to be the b**** to prop Kay as some saint.

• Members

TB...TB....the only time I found him "natural" was in Jimmy's Bar the other day. I get that he is supposed to be tight and repressed and defended in the presence of his family...I get that a part of him reverts to (or fights against) the shy and insecure boy he was back then. But so far, I'm not feeling much emotion from anyone in the story. Whoever mentioned upthread that no one has yet even hugged Phillip... and the pain for Jill/Kay of losing Cane today was palpable.

Which gets to my point. I am utterly perplexed at what the writers are doing with Phillip.

This was the shy, awkward, troubled teen. We saw how maternal neglect helped make him this way. We felt the incredible irony that he died in a drunken car crash, like his father before him.

So, to unearth this story, it implies that they are really going to honor what Phillip once was.

Instead, we have a character who is prickly, self-admittedly selfish...who says he'd do the whole thing again!!! He is not even now grateful for his family or the reunion, as these two passages showed.

The writing---not the acting (which is a separate issue)-- has quickly rendered this fella one of the most unsympathetic characters on daytime. More so, literally, than Adam or Mary Jane or anyone else on the canvas right now. Is this intentional, or a huge mistake the writers didn't anticipate??

and later,

• Members

So many of these characters MAB and Company feature a lot have become so one-note, boring, and just blah.

I can hardly stomach Adam anymore. He's such a one-note cartoon, and it's a shame that they've written a core character into such a corner. I don't even sympathize with this fool anymore. He intentionally goes out of his way to screw over anyone, no matter how nice most of these people have been to him. This gas-lighting crap has worn out its welcome a long time ago. Sadly, I don't see much progression for this character here on out. It feels like they're forcing his "dark side" down our throats and his motivations seem so fumbled that I don't care.

Billy, another core character is all over the place. He's another cartoon that I can;t muster up any sympathy for. He's stuck in his own universe and they rarely touch upon his Abbott connections anymore,

I hate this regime's interpretation of the Jack/Victor dynamic. Whenever they decide to paly those two toegther, it feels so forced and hallow. Also, we know Victor brought Patty Jane back to go after Jack,yet they've hardly ever played the Jack/Victor beat in this story. Why are we supposed to care then if this is all Victor's set up?

I don't have to go into the disaster Colleen's become.

I can go on and on....

This show is filled with unsympathetic, un-rootable, and just one-note characters.

So much harm is bring done to these core characters and a lot of the current front-burner characters are being forced down our throats. I fear this damage will be long-lasting and some of these characters may never return from the path they're on right now. The fact that his regime doesn't understand balance and rotation is pretty sad and it's definitely hurting the show.

• Members

I have to say, as someone who has liked John Rubenstein for a long time (since the 1976 Family, with Sada Thompson, James Broderick, Meredith Baxter Birney, Kristy McNichol, Gary Frank, and Quinn Cummings), I was surprised to see him in this Dr. Taylor role.

And I have to say that he is really, really growing on me! Yes, I get that the character is allegedly despicable (Adam claims some evidence of molestation with Skye)--but Taylor has never addressed that...and I'm inclined to believe Adam would twist this for his purposes.

But Rubinstein brings an intelligence and morality behind the eyes...no matter what Taylor is being forced to do. And I loved how the character smartly tried to destablize Adam and get him out of Ashley's life today.

Rubinstein just "sparks" for me. I'd like to see more of him, despite the fact that he is starting so damaged.

• Members

They really, really do. That's why I can't strongly defend keeping any character...even the one rumored to be .... well....you know.

As a general statement, Y&R has had too much death. It would be great if characters just left town...in a blaze of shame if the writers need drama...but NO MORE DEATH.

However I totally support cast cuts--even my faves like the Fisher-Baldwins.

Archived