Y&R Episode Discussion for the week of July 13

• Members

You know I have been thinking about this and how some aimless characters can be saved. Now I know some have said that although they don't want Lauren to go, if the writers won't write for her then she should be written out. But this is my problem with this and with some other characters being dropped. Is it the fault of the actors or the characters that the writers are not writing anything for them now and can't that change quickly if the writers focused on them? Now I am not saying that the cast doesn't need trimming, but Maria needs to give some characters a chance.

She seems to be doing that with JT and Victoria and other characters lately, although her Lauren neglect is going as strong as ever. But take JT and Victoria. They are a bore together. So have Deacon seduce Victoria because we saw hints of her interest in her scene with him, or at least get her tempted. Have JT hang out more with Mac and Colleen and now you can get Deacon messing with Victor's daughter and JT where he belongs, interacting with the younger cast. Mac has more chemistry with JT or Cane, so end it with Billy.

They can do the same for Lauren. Why have Amber turn to Jana about her past secrets? Lauren knows all about Amber's past and has kept her secrets so have Amber turn to Lauren. Jana is a little girl, but Lauren is a woman who has dealt with men like Deacon. Lauren always had a backbone and some nasty claws so have her help Amber against Deacon while keeping it from Michael. Deacon likes to use his sex appeal and charm well Lauren knows how to use her sex appeal to manipulate also. This Scooby story becomes more adult and sexy with Lauren involved and can shake up Mikey and Lauren.

It doesn't matter what you do, but before they toss characters like Lauren, the writers need to give her a chance to strut her stuff and not just as a supporter of Michael's family.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

^I agree they need to write for certain characters, well, more like half of the cast.

But, with some of these characters, it's obvious that this regime doesn't "get" some of them and have run out of ideas for them. The cast needs to be trimmed regardless, they have too many people on contract and they're virtually neglecting a good amount of them it's not right.

But some can definitely be saved with writing, but it has to be good and true to character writing. Not like this nonsense we have with Colleen, Gloria, and Jeffrey.

• Members

It seems obvious that someone is looking after Tammin for some reason. So if she is staying with the show, then have her come between JT and Victoria. Not so much as having an affair, but just as a way for JT to realize he does not belong with Victoria. I didn't mind her scenes with Rafe although drunken Colleen was a bit much but the material was thankless.

This Victor and Ashley wedding has to be one of the most plot contrived weddings ever. I was always a Nikki and Victor fan and hated Ashley, but I never thought I would see the day when a Victor/Ashley wedding would be written for the sole purpose of having Ashley see "Sabrina" after the ceremony. They barely had any vows and the whole wedding lasted all of 15 seconds with one bouquet of flowers and a couple candles. And what on earth was Ashley wearing?

• Members

They definitely need to trim and stop hiring new actors every other week. But she is wasting really talented actors who if given a story could run with it. She can have her favorites but mix it up with other characters. Sure she loves Kevin, but he had plenty of story this year so move on to something for Michael and Lauren. Rotate characters and story instead of using the same ones over and over. I am not saying all neglected characters need story, but use your proven vets.

• Members

Michael and Lauren (and Fen) are sorely missed, both as individual characters and as a couple.

I just don't get all the blasts-from-the past, the new characters being brought on, when MAB&Co. are not utilizing the cast they already have. Why not just add more to the mix and confusion, haha? What's the rationale?

• Members

I don't know. Seems to me there is a reason they had Jack turn away the flowers from Gloria stating that she and Victor were friends again. Maybe they want to mix her in with the Jack and Victor rivalry.

• Members

All of Jill's stories are about being second place to Katherine, unless we occasionally get a brief side story where she fails on her own (losing her money, filing nails -- a job which I don't consider to be a failure, but judging by the music in those scenes, the show did). I was expecting them to not heavily focus on Jill because I don't think this team have any real interest in Jill, other than as a prop for Katherine, but I was still hoping for at least a few one-on-one scenes. I hope we will get them eventually.

Having Katherine as the main voice in this story distracts me because she's the main voice in all the Chancellor stories now but more because Katherine has her own history of same-sex attraction which is becoming my own personal elephant in the room. On the one hand, I could say that this history doesn't matter, because Katherine has no problem with Phillip being gay so why would her past even come up? On the other hand, this is history which could have been used to help explain why Phillip left, this is history she could use to try to relate to Phillip, and this is supposedly a team that loves to mine history. So I keep waiting, and waiting.

• Members

Eva's actually so much better.

JT and Mac :wub:

Victoria being insecure about her marriage; and its pacing is really good so far. :wub:

TS cracked me up today. I don't know why.

I can't believe how Heinle delivered her lines about Victor marrying Ashley. Sleepwalking, indeed. What is going on with her; is she high? I actually liked her a few weeks ago, when she was angry at Victor for moving on. There was a bit of a spark then.

It doesn't matter if Lane get back together, loses the baby, has twenty babies, or run Newman into the ground, they're dull. They need to go, both of them.

How is it that Neil and Tyra were having dinner after she cried cried cried a couple of weeks ago when he didn't want her to move in with her?? Did someone forget that episode existed? And they go to explain where Ana's disappeared off to but not how Tyra can move on with Neil. My God, that was annoying.

Ashley needs to move back in with Jack. This needs to end. Now.

• Members

I don't think Maria and Company know how to rotate, because the characters that are being used heavily now are about the same characters that have been used heavily since the beginning of her tenure.

We already know they have no idea how to trim the cast or when to stop hiring new actors...

• Members

She may be better but she still needs to go, like last year.

I also like Jt/Mac and hope they go this way instead of Jolleen. unsure.gif Don't kill me.

Some people are better drunk.

That's desperation. When Neil was talking about Lily, Tyra basically said forget about her and think about me.

She needed to do that when she first started seeing and hearing "Sabrina".

She gets away with it because most are vets or being played by good actors.

The only new people that piss me off are P3 and Deacon. With P3 it feels like she's trying to fix Bill Bell's mistake and that ticks me off. I always thought Y&R didn't do that kind of thing. I'm probably being to sensitive with that one

With Deacon it's like "We have budget problems, can't keep all of our vets, and don't play all our actors. Let's add another person who's history is on another show and played by some guy who isn't a newbie actor. I don't care if he is going to light a fire under the show and make it more intresting, people were saying the same thing about Billy and look how that turned out. Him being here is an insult to the actors who can't get screentime. (Sidenote: I have nothing against Mr. Kannon or his character, I just think it's bad taste to add him when the show has "budget problems.")

Archived