Y&R: Week of March 9, 2009

• Members

Damn, now you know the writing is good.

1. Seamless transitions: Out of one thing comes another. What was Katherine's story becomes Kevin's becomes the entire Fisher clan. JUST LIKE THAT! Gloria's face cream story is over and done with and now they're in the forefront again. But this time with Kevin in the driver's seat, THANK GOD.

2. Emotional Rollercoaster: So, not only do I feel horribly for what Jana's going through with her poor husband falsely accused, I relate to Gloria's guilt, trying to do something good yet failing miserably. On the other hand, we all know she called Channel 8 to try to improve her image. Then I feel utter shame and terror when Michael and Gloria begin to realize that Kevin might have been capable of this. But then I feel like Annie and Roger should escape because they're the lesser evils to demonic Clint. I feel pride for Nicholas when Victor sends Nicholas off to see the client overseas. I feel fear and pity for Adam who's about to go blind. And Kevin. :( Poor Kevin.

Great writing. All this happens in one episode and yet it doesn't feel like it has because it's so seamless.

3. Working the Audience: Kevin's false accusation is the second storyline where the audience knows the truth and the characters don't; Katherine's, of course, being the first. Yet, unlike the first storyline, which has merely one layer to peel off, Kevin's storyline has many layers. 1st layer: All of the evidence is pointed toward him. 2nd layer: he's insane and both of the witnesses have fled to never return. 3rd layer: he's being held hostage by a criminal who seems to be at the cusp of creating some damning evidence to further incriminate him. Very convoluted and delicious.

4. Most importantly, Choices: When Annie and Roger decided to leave Kevin in that motel room in the poor mental state he was in with that maniac Clint to escape impending arrest, I felt two things: One, terror, because who knows what Clint plans on doing with Kevin and two, excitement because who knows what Clint plans on doing with Kevin. If Annie and Roger took Kevin with them, they'd most likely leave him on the side of the road somewhere and where's the fun in that? Their decision to leave him with Clint leads to a myriad of incredible soap madness. Choices are a great tool because it left me begging those two to change their minds and take him with them so that the misery would be over. But there's no soap without misery.

Masterful.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Gina was absolutely justified for everything she said about Kevin, especially the part about having a hot shot lawyer for a brother that covers all the angles and gets him out of trouble. I'll never get why Michael is so devoted to his criminal brother and mother to the point where he's an accessory to their crimes or blatantly covering up their illegal activities. I liked Michael better when he didn't have relatives.

Patty Weaver and Emily O'Brien were brilliant today though.

• Members

When is the Katherine's storyline going to end. When she "announced" she was Marg and Jill oh so happened to overhear I groaned. The storyline is great but it's starting to get frustrating... and not in a good way. It's time to wrap it up. Giving her a different aspect of amnesia to keep the story running is getting tiring.

Archived