DAYS: Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn FIRED!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never thought i'd see the day that Days actually fired Deidre Hall, its just insane and such a huge risk...But i'm not too phased by the news, mainly because I don't really care much about the show anymore..I'll still watch on occasion, but i'm not addicted or hooked on it like i've been for the past 20 years..

I really hope that Days does end in 18 months and has a huge finale with John, Marlena, Jack, Jennifer, Shane, Kimberly, Vivian, Ivan, Eugene, Caliope, Doug, Julie, Carrie, Austin and our other favorites all returning...

• Members

I don't think your train of thought holds up. The problem is when you let go of so many characters at one time it stops being the show people watch and way too abruptly. Look at what happened a couple years back when 10 characters were let go over a relatively short period of time, ratings plummeted. Yes if you had time you could build up new characters into being the ones people want to watch, but to lose John, Marlena, Philip, Nick and who knows who else tomorrow just leaves you with a sense of "what soap am I watching?" It will be like that horrible summer when Shawn and Belle were on everyday on that island with the old coot and his daughter. It might have been great, it might have been horrible, but it wasn't really DOOL.

• Members

Yeah, but John, Marlena, Steve and Kayla have hardly been on to begin with lately. If you feature Abe, Lexie, Kate, Victor, Sami, Bo, Hope, EJ, Nicole, Stefano, Maggie, Chelsea, Max, Stephanie (sorry for those last three lol), it's still DAYS. I think the ratings suffered in the winter and spring of summer 2007 because the stories were a complete boring bust, not because Bo, Hope, John, and Marlena were missing.

• Members

OK, regarding DAYS' budget. When DAYS was renewed in 2003, the budget was $1.7 million a week for production costs. However, the terms of the deal were renegotiated in 2006 and DAYS' budget was slashed to $1.3 million a week, so that can't be how much the show costs to produce per week now. I'm guessing it's now in the $900,000 - $1,000,000 range now - a HUGE blow for a show like DAYS.

• Members

this is the part that gets me. They got themselves an out when they decide at a later point to bring them back, which I believe they will do, because really, when have they actually fired someone?

Forgot my other thought--I think DAYS is one, like a few other posters have said, that could benefit from heavy recurring characters, especially their vets. A pay when you work or recurring contract is about the norm now.

• Members

No. It can't. GL was a wonderful show at that time, I agree, but conditions are different now than they were in the late '80s/early '90s, especially at DAYS with the shape it is financially and ratings-wise. There is no longer room or space for that kind of total reinvention. The best we could hope for was for airhogs like the DHs to have their own roles restructured so as to keep the audience tentpoles in place. DAYS can't throw caution to the wind anymore. The time for that was in 2006 when Sheffer took over. And that's gone. That was the last chance to affect some major change to the vet canvas. Ratings have gotten worse since.

Archived