DAYS: Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn FIRED!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If this is true, then I'm in total shock. I knew there were huge cuts coming, but I would've bet my house that she was safe. If anything, this really does symbolize the fact that the show's coming to an end. This really is the equivalent of axing Lucci, Slezak or Geary. It's really sad.

• Members

If John (memory restored) and Marlena leave together, I can actually buy this.

I think it is a terrible mistake (Lucci, Braeden and Hall were their respective networks' three icons) at one level...but at the same time (a) DOOL did fine for the many years where Hall was off-canvas making Our House, etc., and (B) this is predictable given the license fee cut.

What we're seeing is the "GL budget problem" come home to roost at DOOL (as Tom Casiello's last post tried to clarify). So, assuming that there is some truth to Hall-Hogestyn-Datillo-Koslow-Johnson et al. all being pink slipped for $ reasons, I suspect Corday really had no choice.

On the other hand, it would seem to call out for DOOL to try to do something unique and different, and not just follow in GL's footsteps:

[a] explore shorter-term contracts and heavy recurring so they can feature their leading players in front burner stories for PART of the year, and

these actors really do have to consider whether lowering their rates to work for MUCH less isn't better than not working at all

(I realize there is a dignity issue involved in ).

In the past, DOOL just stopped using some characters (backburnering) when money ran low. Fans complained like heck.

In that sense, fully DROPPING those characters (giving them happy endings) actually seems more humane than languishing on the backburner.

What a sad state of affairs for daytime. But we all knew (Ed Scott said as much, in his Nelson Branco interview at the Emmys) that money was a big issue, and that it was odd NBC was taking so long to announce Days' renewal. The renegotiation must have been a bloodbath. Now, we'll FEEL the consequences of these cutbacks.

I wish there were a way to preserve a show and keep it good in the face of such cutbacks. But that has never been achieved, has it?

• Members

Huge DAYS Casting News!

It's hard to believe, but it's true: Superstars Deidre Hall (Marlena) and Drake Hogestyn (John) are the first two casualties of DAYS's massive budget cuts. In an exclusive interview with Soap Opera Digest, Executive Producer Ken Corday says, "The couple will be happily reunited after a long period of angst and separation and will be off-screen after January for an unknown period of time. It was a very tough decision to make." To see what else the exec has to say about the popular duo — and the show’s recent pickup by NBC — be sure to pick up the next issue of Digest.

Soap Opera Digest

• Members

Wow. This is suicide. I knew the show was beyond hope when they announced another round of cuts, but this is wild.

Personally, I can't stand Marlena or John anymore, I've often talked about them being albatrosses for the shows, relics the fans can't let go of. And I supported John's original death under Sheffer up to a point. But I think cutting both of them now...well, in the case of John's second exit it comes off impulsive and pointless, but most of all Deidre Hall? Really? Really?! I mean, I hate Marlena, but at this late date you can't play around like it's the late '80s again and cutting Marlena is still an option. It's not. Not with these ratings, not with daytime in the shape it is. Even if you hate a beloved foundation character, you find a way to work them. Marlena is the only levee DAYS has left against the proverbial floodwaters.

Is DAYS trying to beat GL to cancellation? Because this might do it.

• Members

I have been a proponent of the "heavy recurring" status for soaps with inflated casts. I think as a method of cost reduction they can take it one step further by initiating a model similar to the Port Charles "chapters/arcs." That is not to say they need to name every three months, but it is to say that they can limit the scope of their stories to a certain part of the canvas for three months at a time.

The benefits of this model are:

1) Increased consistent airtime for under-utilized characters: The arc method helps to break up the canvas and allow focus to switch between actors in a more organized manner. Maybe for 3 months we don't see Bo and Hope, but their storyline happens in the next arc. This would also make storylines go faster, keeping up with the faster pace audiences want with the advent of the internet.

2) Filming Arcs con-currently allowing for longer breaks for actors to do other projects, and reducing the studio costs: They can film two arcs at a time, so seemingly 6 months of storyline in 3 months. PC had reduced their time and increased output in a similar action. That way instead of signing actors to a 12 month guarantee, they can be signed to six months worth of work. Then, these actors can look for work elsewhere, shoot a movie, spread their wings. A key complain to younger actors is the daytime schedule restrictions. This can help with that.

3) Basically make everyone a "recurring player": Basically have everyone on retainer, give them some sort of bonus for "sticking around." So if they are not featured in two arcs, for six months you get some sort of base compensation. But if you get called to do a story, you are expected to commit to the next three months back on contract, per appearance, etc. If you decide to bail, then you do, just don't expect to get the retainer fee again. It may mean actors/characters are written off of screen.

I think this would work well for larger casts. It would have actors being paid when they are actually working. The retainer fee would be less than paying people through the episode guarantees. I think viewers would respond to the shifts in focus of actors. Since you are shooting two arcs at the same time, that is not to say an actor prominently featured in one arc cannot appear in the other. Actors would appreciate the freedom to try other things. For Holiday sl's, more actors can be brought in as a recurring players to fill the canvas etc.

• Members

I don't think they'll get fired, but I *DO* think they will be cut back to one day a week. We know for a fact that's what happened with Sheffer during Tinda Lau with the Big Four, and I'm sure it'll go into effect again... unless Corday just cuts them loose too, in which case I can't even be angry - I'll just laugh.

• Members

This is really depressing. It seems like every soap is doing something to alienate their fans (except maybe Y&R, and we all know that Sheffer has a bad habit of doing that eventually). It really is suicide for these shows. I am not entirely surprised that Drake Hogestyn has been fired, but I'm absolutely SHOCKED that Deirdre Hall has been let go. Fans tune in to see their favorites that they've come to love over the years. Don't try to tell me that Melanie, Daniel, Rafael and all the other awful new characters are the future of the show. Yes, the show still has Sami and flavor of the month EJ, but those two are not enough to carry the show. If Bo/Hope and Steve/Kayla are next, I am going to say DAYS is dead.

As for creating story arcs a la Port Charles, I don't think it would work in the long run. PC was a soap that was in constant identity crisis and the arcs didn't help, as they shifted in tone and flavor constantly. The three successful arcs that PC did were "Tainted Love," "Miracles Happen" and "Naked Eyes." After NE, the arcs were unnecessary because the show began to focus exclusively on the Allison/Rafe/Livvie/Caleb story. So I don't think it would be a wise move on DAYS' part.

Archived