DAYS: Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn FIRED!

• Members

Diedre Hall should've left DOOL YEARS ago. Her acting has gone downhill in recent years and the writers haven't seemed passionate about her character since the 90s. I'd like to see her on B&B as a better Beth Logan or she could return to Y&R where she was an original cast member. Sure her character has ties to pretty much no one (maybe she knows Jill), but how is that any different from creating a new character? They could use flashbacks to explain her history in Genoa City.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know Hall is popular, but I really can't see any other show signing her to a long-term deal. In TPTBs' minds, 60-year-old actresses do not bring in the 18-49 year olds. I can see a short-term gig (for example, Reese's mother on AMC...that is if she wanted to relocate East), but other than that, not much. Also, it sounds as though this is all strictly budget related and that they could be brought back onto the canvass at a later date if funds were to become available.

• Members

This is kind of weird to me. I don't think Deidre Hall is as "beloved" as I thought she was.... I am not a Days fan...

Who do you guys think will be the matriarch/patriarch of the show now??

Does that even matter on this show?

It still boggles my mind that a show near the top of the ratings- and at the top of pretty coveted demos is in this much trouble.

I know ABC owns its shows which helps,... but this whole thing is truly the beginning of daytime's end I think....

Brian Frons is probably eating this up with a spoon!!

If Deidre ends up anywhere it will probably be in some 2-3 month role on GH. I could totally see her at B&B. And that's it.

• Members

But the so called useless actors actors have a story people are watching right now. And they have a potential. How many people here actually watches DAYS? Because right now a lot people wouldn´t even notice J/M are gone. Yes, it looks they will be on more with Brady´s return and but the only story going with them right now is J/M divorce and John´s headaches. Not exactly the leading story of the show.

DAYS had two choices. Either renegotiate their contracts again, make another paycuts and lower their garantee so much, they will never be able to have any substantial story anyway, or let them go and invest the money elsewhere. I think letting them go is better than keeping them as merely quests or supporting characters. It´s not fair to the them and it´s not fair to their fans who would be just frustrated their favorites aren´t never on.

• Members

Yeah, their guarantees being slashed are one of the variables that we don't know about. But, even with say, John, Marlena, Steve, and Kayla gone, you start using the characters that are there. Suzanne Rogers is JUST as good as actress as Dee or Mary Beth, and you build a new generation of Hortons around her. Bring on her daughters, Sara and Melissa. You use Kate, Lexie, Abe, all good capable actors who have never been used to their full advantage. Stefano has Abe and Lexie, EJ and Brady to work off, not to mention Bo and Hope. You add some much needed diversity to the show, some relatives for Abe and Lexie. There is still so much that can be done with a capable writer and producer, without having a massive budget.

• Members

Exactly, Suzanne Rogers could be your new leading lady of the show. She is an emmy winner, has a huge history with the show, and could do so much for it. Susan Hayes doesn't ever seem to mind to come back on recurring status, use Julie to her full potential. Koslow and Jones are both excellent. DAYS doesn't have to come to an end if NBC doesn't want it to end

• Members

I'm still really, really surprised that Deidre Hall got the axe...that said, like you've pointed out there is still a lot of talent at DAYS, Rogers, Koslow and Jones (if they aren't fired as well) plus Alfonso could carry the show's female lead quotient.

Rogers especially, she could easily be the Jeanne Cooper of DAYS, the woman has talent, she can ACT!

• Members

I agree with Vee. Suzanne/Maggie has been too marginalized to suddenly emerge as the show's old leading lady. Plus, my guess is that she has minimal guarantees in her contract...maybe 2-3 eppies a month (which could be even further reduced)...so they can afford to keep her. That's probably why she's lasted so long. Elevating her to leading lady and increasing her air time probably isn't in the budget.

• Members

I don't mean leading lady so much as I mean tent pole character like Alice Horton or what Marlena has become in the last few years. I hope Suzanne survives the contract purge, my understanding is that her contract is very valuable to her because it provides health insurance...Kristian Alfonso is the lead, no question.

Archived