DAYS: Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn FIRED!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm sorry, I know she's very popular with one of the most rabid fanbases in daytime, but I've always found Hall's acting to be positively HORRIBLE. I hate those gasping orgasmic sounds she makes, and the way she cries makes me want to pull my hair out. It appears her acting got severely horrible over the years, because I've seen clips of her from the 70's and early 80's where she was much more charismatic and natural, not so much anymore...

I do not want her at Y&R, especially when Tricia Cast and Marla Adams should be on the show's canvas.

I doubt most soaps could afford Hall's salary anyway.

• Members

This...

...and this.

Truth be told, I was once a Dee fan hardcore back during the SSK era, but even then, I knew she wasn't all that great. I'll never forget when Marlena first saw Roman over on Melaswen. "RO-MAN! RO-MAN! IT'S YEEEEW!!!! OOOOH RO-MAN! RO-MAN!!!" You'd have sworn that Roman was the name of a high school and she was cheering on the team.

In episodes that I saw from back in the day (early 80s) though, she was decent and I liked her. Is she the type who throws [!@#$%^&*] into the stuff she doesn't want to act?

• Members

MTS isn't so much a diva as she is Queen Bee, although that position has softened now that Ed is no longer in the producer's chair...it doesn't bother anyone on set, she's a nice woman so long as you don't step on her toes, she gets along with the big league (Cooper, Walton, Bergman, Braeden, both Davidsons, Diamont, Linder, Morrow, Stafford and especially Case who is her best friend in the cast).

I don't think any show will want Deidre Hall, she's 61, is viewed by many as a so-so actress and obviously isn't the ratings grabber she used to be, if she was she wouldn't be fired. I like Deidre, she seems to be a delightful person, I'm just glad she's rich so that she can go off and live the contented life along with all the other Hollywood Wives (well ex-wife in her case).

• Members

Well I for one have had it with this show! I've been a loyal viewer since I was a teenager in 1993. I have officially had it with this show. I stuck it through during the good times (JER's first run ;) ) and the bad times (Langan, Higley, etc) This show has made me laugh, cry, upset, angry, and happy during the times I have watched. At one time, this show was even my sanity during a very depressive time in my life. Unfortunately, I think it is time for me to say goodbye to DAYS. I did hold out hope that my beloved James Reilly would somehow be lured back to at least Co-Headwrite the show so that I can enjoy it again now that Passions has been cancelled but we all know that will never happen now (God rest his soul). So I really have no reason to be invested in this show anymore. None of the characters have "character". There is no real angst, no real conflicts, no hero or heroine, no true villain, no real long term plot, no direction. Nothing appeals to me anymore and now I hear that the one saving grace that kept me putting up with the crap that was fed down my throat for all these years is now being FIRED! Yes, the GODDESS Deidre Hall is being fired. This is the last straw for me.

I have 4wks of DAYS that I still have in my DVR that I haven't gotten a chance to watch yet due to my hectic schedule. Yesterday I was wondering, what was the point? Why should I now sacrifice 20 hours of my time to try to watch all those shows when in reality, none of the storylines are interesting to me. My devotion to DAYS doesn't make sense anymore. As far as I am concerned I have been wasting my time watching DAYS because I have been more dissatisfied than satisfied. I know I might get bashed for expressing how I feel but that's ok. I am very disappointed and truth be told, James Reilly was the only writer that kept DAYS interesting (I know many of you disagree but the ratings don't lie). He is no longer around to make DAYS how I would want it to be so therefore, it makes no sense for me to stick around anymore. I've just had it with Ken Corday and his idiocy. I hope Drake and Deidre move on to bigger and better things! I know I will be...

• Members

I really don't care about Days at all anymore. Thanks to the constant returns of Stefano, the death of John and the return again, the firing of him last year, and then Hogan Sheffer's run - my connection and love for Days ended. I just don't have the attachment to it that I once did.

But I do want to remind folks that good writing and direction has a lot to do with acting. When Deidre Hall gets it she is a top notch actress. Back in the 70's and the early 80's when Days had great directors and great consistent writing Deidre Hall constantly put forth excellent performances.

Even one of my best actresses Susan Hayes did but in the last 10 years her performances on Days have been awful under these directors and the bad writing.

You put Deidre Hall back on Y&R where she started and you will see a big difference in her.

Just look around at Kirsten Storms, Austin Peck and Farah Fath who floundered at Days but have turned in wonderful performances and were critically acclaimed on other shows.

Even in the last year when Ed Scott came on and brought better directors the performances turned around 100% for me when I tuned in. Man early on last year the only way a director knew how to portray evil from a guy was to have him scream (i.e. Bryan Dattilo and Jay Kenneth Johnson).

When I count the top 50 individual performances in daytime ever Deidre Hall is in at least 4 of them - the day of DJ's death, her rape, on the witness stand being cross examined by Don, and last year at John's bedside as he died.

• Administrator

This is BS!!!!!! UGH!!!! You don't fire the ICON of the show. This is like AMC firing Susan Lucci or OLTL firing Erika Slezak! Ken Corday is the biggest moron in daytime!! Deidre Hall has the biggest fanbase and she has proven that when you write amazing stories for her, she comes through and she gets high ratings! She did it with the Possession, she did it during the Secret Room and she did it again during the SSK storyline - all 3 were highly successful!

You don't get rid of the superstar and keep 4-5 other contracts, you suppose get rid of the 4-5 contracts to keep the star!

I'm not surprised Dena Higley couldn't come up with a story for Marlena. I have no doubt their exit story will suck too.

I agree, Steve. Put her with great directors and give her good writing and she'll be amazing. When the material is there, she ALWAYS comes through.

• Members

Ok I feel I need to say first that I think it's a crappy decision

But the sad reality is that it's not going to save them the money they need to keep going. The reality of a newer contract is that it's a lot lower than someone who'se been in daytime for as long as DH and Drake have been. If you are looking to cut the 4-5, it's got to be pretty much every other vet to make the cash.

That also makes me think that Drake and Deidre were pulling "Kim Zimmers" and the gamble didn't pay off. Either in the amount of money or the guarantee's in their contracts. The contract's given for actors in daytime don't have guarantee's anymore, it's all "paid when working" and those who still have guarantee's the amount gets dropped more and more.

So while yes, cutting does save some money, the other side has to give some, and this move makes me think they didn't want to.

Archived