DAYS: Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn FIRED!

• Members

All I know is that if they are going to be firing Drake and Deidre, they had better make it a BIG story!!! Marlena and John better be FRONT AND CENTER for the next few months and then have a BIG SENDOFF for them during Feb Sweeps. They owe it to the actors as well as their loyal fans (especially the ones that have been loyal since 1985). That is the ONLY way, Corday will have a snowball's chance in hell of keeping those viewers after the DH's leave.

Corday needs to use that as the proverbial vaseline or lube for the viewers so we don't feel the full pain of him yet again screwing us in the ass!!! To think that Dee and Drake (no matter what you think about their acting abilities) have carried this damn show for years...ESPECIALLY Dee and this is the thanks they get! Corday is an [!@#$%^&*]!

Either way, I have decided to continue to watch DAYS but ONLY on the days that Marlena and John are on and ONLY until they finally leave. After that, I am DONE with this bloodbath of a show!!!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I posted the following on NBC's DOOL message board.

The firing of Deidre Hall & Drake Hogestyn makes it to Perez Hilton!

Stop by & leave a comment~

http://perezhilton.com/2008-11-18-marlena-...-axed-from-days

It is unfortunate that Gary Tomlin somehow managed to convince Ken Corday to fire the legendary Deidre Hall. You cannot fire the ICON of your show... you just cannot do that! Shame on you Ken! I'm disgusted by this. You can fire everyone but NOT the icon - Deidre is the star of your show!

On the other hand, they will be saving millions of dollars with these two gone; hopefully, by some miracle, Days and its fans can pull it through this difficult time. I'm sure Ken will bring them back if the show bounces back up and if its economy is stable.

Since we're on a firing roller coaster, please continue it with your WRITING team. Ms. Higley's writing team has got to be the worst writing team in the history of Daytime Television. I can understand Higley's frustration since Tomlin mostly veto all of her decisions - Changing her stories, etc... Still, a good writer can write anything! Please hire some NEW writers; we need fresh blood! Oh, make sure they have talent!

Susan(Maggie) need to be front and center now. We need a vet and she's been on the show for 35 years now!

I wish all of the victims of the massive firings at Days all the best. Especially Deidre! Thank God you're rich!

• Members

I know it is just a matter of opinion, but I know that many across the Internet are doing the same thing with the Days stars that they did to Kim Zimmer and others. And that is saying that if they won't take a pay cut then they should be gone.

I'm sorry I just can't go that far. I am a fan of the show as a whole over any star but I cannot condone putting an actor or actress down when they refuse to take a pay cut - esp. when often they are working the same amount of time but for less pay. I just can't see that.

Especially when daytime stars are paid less than any other acting medium as it is and they have more work to do. They often work 14 hour days and then leave work to go home and learn lines again for the next day.

People like Kim Zimmer and others are being asked to bear the burden of mismanagement of the show and do the same work they have always done for less pay. I for one cannot blame them for not being willing to take on the whole burden of the show on their shoulders.

But many fans think they should and condemn them because they don't want to see their favorite show disappear.

• Members

LOL Steve. I was the one who said.

LOL @ you calling him Paris. Too funny! :D

I assumed that Tomlin vetoed Dena's stuff when he came on - I still think he's doing it. You can tell this is not what she planned for the show. The younger crew on 24/7 = Tomlin's doing, IMO.

• Members

I dunno why, but I kind of get the impression Higley wants to fill the show with doctors; hasn't she employed a few semi-well known daytime faces to portray recurring roles of doctors who dont seem to last very long? I mean Shawn Christian is one, but wasn't there...I want to say Erika Page, as well as Sandra Ferguson coming and John Callahan as well? Not to mention the guy she cast as the new mayor of Salem, wasn't he in another soap?

It seems like she likes to have kind of short term villain roles also, like Ava's father, Morgan's father, etc. Was she the one responsible for Sarah Buxton's Chrystal? Or was that Reilly?

On OLTL she seemed to enjoy bringing in new characters (Paige, Tate, etc), but she doesnt seem to know how to craft well rounded characters who have any sort of purpose, more like "I like this actor, let's give them a role and then figure out what to do with them later" or "wouldnt it be cool to have a new doctor/baseball player on the canvas?" rather than starting with the story and slotting the new character into it accordingly.

• Members

Deidre makes over a million dollars a year, she has the biggest contract on the show. I can't blame her if she refused a pay cut, she has carried this show, I love her, I just don't want her anywhere near Y&R. She'd be OK at B&B as a recast for Beth Logan. Drake, on the other hand, should be finished.

If Corday wants to save a little money here's an idea: fire the wardrobe department. Sorry to the costumers but the actors can shop for themselves. Joan Collins and Donna Mills did that throughout their respective runs on Dynasty and Knots Landing...I don't see why he can't just dole out a wardrobe budget to each actor and have them buy their own costumes, hell they all probably dress well, why not let them wear their own clothes?!

Cut down the number of sets, make a number of them permanent so they can just be left and keep the build up/take down sets to a minimum. Think of Melrose Place, that show had the apartment building, D&D and Shooters, everything else was pretty random. A quality show can be done with fewer sets.

• Members

I would love to know what every soap star makes and it makes me angry that I don't :P Kidding of course

If Dee was making a million of year, I just don't think she is worth that anymore. During the halcyon years of the mid to late 90's, Kristian, Peter, Dee, and Drake were instrumental to the success of the show. But now? Not so much.

Melissa Reaves was said to be making $500,000 back when Corday sued her in 1995, who knows what everyone makes now?

• Members

Yeah, I think it is pretty well known in the industry that Geary, Lucci, Braeden, and Hall are in the million dollar club.

I figure Melody Thomas Scott, Jeanne Cooper, and Erika Slezak are pretty close- $700-900,000...

I wonder what the hell Kim Zimmer makes on GL now....

I mean I know it is all paid by episode...

And I really don't want Deidre any where near Y&R either. I WOULD entertain her as a Gloria recast though. Its interesting to me.

Judith Chapman turns me off. But I think she is supposed to... so it may be excellent acting.

• Members

You know who might work for cheap and could be an EXCELLENT Marlena recast.

MS. BRENDA DICKSON!!!!!

She would welcome us ALL to her HOME in SALEM!

And possibly even teach us to be pretty and handsome by eating right, exercising, and picking out the perfect outfit.

Hell, I would even tune into Days faithfully if she came onboard!

• Members

It's such a tricky situation to try and calculate. On one hand, these stars demanding such big salaries are one of the reasons the soaps arent making money, another is the crappy writing but obviously if the shows had more to spend on writing that could improve (if the actors were paid less). On the other hand, if primetime actors can make ten times what they make for doing 22 episodes a year while daytime produces ten times the amount of shows yearly, then they are right to ask for more money...it's such a dilemma, but the fact of the matter is daytime soaps get less viewers and generate less revenue. If these actors are asking for such high wages then they're only hurting themselves in the long run, as either their show's budget shrinks and they have to axe more characters to accomodate the high earners and so viewers are turned off and eventually the show is axed, or the shows cannot afford to keep them on their books and they are let go.

At the end of the day, the soap opera industry is in decline, and these actors should be supporting the genre by doing as much as they can to keep their shows on the air. If that means taking a pay cut, so be it, but only if the producers, writers etc take a cut as well. It shouldnt just be down to the actors. I wonder if Ellen Wheeler was taking a paycut when she was asking the actors to on GL? Somehow I doubt it...

Archived