DAYS: Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn FIRED!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I think it can :P

Seriously, I hear what you are saying. Conditions are much different than they were 15 years ago, but when DAYS is still pulling in the same ratings as OLTL, ATWT, and AMC, I don't think all is lost. Without knowing what the actual budget is, it's hard to know what can be done to save the show or if it can be saved. How much money could Dee and Drake have been making?

• Members

What really gets me is that Corday or whoever is in charge keeps trying to reinvent Days as this young soap opera, with one group of boring teen/20somethings after another while the characters viewers really want to see languish on the backburner.

With Hall and Hogestyn gone, the best we could have hoped for was a family-oriented soap opera, but who do we have for a core family? Bo and Hope - the show's only remaining central supercouple, but Shawn is no longer on the canvas (and neither actor is able to return with Beemer on B&B and Cook on GH...the last thing they need is another recast if the Philip rumours are true), Zach is dead (please - no more returns from the grave!!!) and the last thing we need is for Higley to SORAS Ciara and have her front and centre.

All the other core families are decimated. The best hope was to focus on Marlena, John and their kids (Sami for Marlena and Brady for John) as a good core family...but now really what was the point of bringing Brady back if J&M are on their way out? They could have easily cast Martsolf as Eric and at least then there would be the Roman connection, revisit Eric/Nicole and factor that into EJ and Sami's storylines, maybe even bring back Greta and throw her into the mix...revisit Roman and Kate perhaps...but no, another opportunity squandered. Kate's too busy lusting after the dishy doc who's half her age while Roman doesnt really do anything at all.

So what is left? Okay, so there may be EJ and Nicole, a really interesting pairing, but apart from that? Steve and Kayla who Higley has no idea what to do with? Stephanie and Max? A triangle between Chloe and a nuPhilip and nuBrady? Sami's affair with Luis Lopez Fitzgerald? The DiMeras, or what is left of them? I hardly think they'd put Tony, Anna or Stefano in a major storyline. They've made Chelsea go from an interesting, multi-layered character to someone so dull and intolerable that I'd rather she just left town.

The one good thing that could come out of all of this is a tighter, more cohesive cast with more umbrella storylines that involve everyone interacting with each other, but with Higley in charge I dont see that happening. If they really have to have a smaller cast, then they're axing all the wrong people. With GL's constant budget cuts, at least the vets are still being featured, this is not happening at DAYS.

I hope this all turns out for the best, I hope this is a reinvention for the show, but the characters they have left are so dull and overexposed that I honestly dont know how they can save it. Maybe Sandra Ferguson's character could stick around, maybe they'll rebuild the Salem canvas better than Guiding Light has done, but with the current regime, I'm not so confident...

• Members

Drake and Deidre are going to have a really hard time landing jobs. GH would probably take them for a 3 month stint and then they'd be gone.

Y&R, forget it, anyone who thinks MTS is going to want DH anywhere near that set is kidding themselves. AMC, OLTL, forget it, it'd be Diva Wars...GL can't afford them and ATWT fired Martha Byrne. The only show that MIGHT be interested in DH is B&B, she'd make a feisty recast for Beth Logan (sorry Robin Riker but you're dull as hell)

I can't think of where Drake would go...he's pretty much 'over'

It's a good thing both of them are rich.

• Members

I do hear rumors MTS is a diva! I dont see Dee going to Y&R either. I still ATWT should sign her. Martha Byrne leaving has nothing to do with whether or not Dee goes there. If she goes to B&B I dont see her lasting a year there. Bell wouldnt know what to do with her. I can easily see Goutman's brain spinning/working right now...LOL

Archived