Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EricMontreal22

HBO: True Blood

This is why I won't touch those bloody books until the show is done.

You did not just go there. :lol: The books are basically fluffy vampire romance novels. Entertaining enough, but not exactly what I would well written.

You did not just go there. :lol: The books are basically fluffy vampire romance novels. Entertaining enough, but not exactly what I would well written.

That's what I found so disappoining--anyone who argues (and I know you weren't) that Alan Ball hasn't added another layer to the series that wasn't in the books has yet to convince me (but I won't read any of the further books until each season is done cuz of spoilers so maybe they're awesome by book 9 orwherever we are now--I was tempted to buy the new anthology collection of the short stories from various places)

Fair enough not every change is an improvement to you. I'm an Eric fan, umm fanguy I guess but I don'tmidn the changes I've seen so far. And I LOVED Maryanne so so so so so so much that I didn't mind that I agree they carried her story on a BIT too far--still ti was way mroe interesting and organic to the plot then the Maynaed (was she nameless?) in the book who was attracted to that sex club.

That's what I found so disappoining--anyone who argues (and I know you weren't) that Alan Ball hasn't added another layer to the series that wasn't in the books has yet to convince me (but I won't read any of the further books until each season is done cuz of spoilers so maybe they're awesome by book 9 orwherever we are now--I was tempted to buy the new anthology collection of the short stories from various places)

Fair enough not every change is an improvement to you. I'm an Eric fan, umm fanguy I guess but I don'tmidn the changes I've seen so far. And I LOVED Maryanne so so so so so so much that I didn't mind that I agree they carried her story on a BIT too far--still ti was way mroe interesting and organic to the plot then the Maynaed (was she nameless?) in the book who was attracted to that sex club.

Yup, that's why I'm staying away from the books.

You're not an Eric "fanguy", you're an Eric "fang-guy", LOL.

I think Eric is hot and all (obviously), but the character is NOT nice. I think he's the show's villain (eating children!!), and he remained so even in the face of losing Godric. That's fine with me...but I can't root for him to be with Sookie or anyone else...'cause he embraces his evil. He's "bad cop", by definition.

Plus, and I'm so sorry to be admitting this, but I don't think I'll rest till Lafayette and Eric have a love scene, LOL. (Or maybe a Jason sandwich...I'm sorry!).

Nancy Oliver was one of the best writers at Six Feet Under I thought. I *think* she also comes from a stage background like Ball. SHe also wrote, or co wrote Lars and The Real Girl which I really didn't much like, but a lot of people did (she was nominated for an Oscar) so... I think I recognize some of the other names from SFU too... Anyway I'm all for having some fresh blood (no pun intended) on the show--it seems like you see the same tv writers over and over. But I admit I probably have a little too much blind faith in Ball and whatever team he heads.

Julia the first episode follows the first chapter or two of the novel VERY VERY closely, the episode is just darker and more explicit when it comes to the vampire sex and killings--and feels a bit more set in the "real world"--the novels kinda have a whimsical tone to them. I've heard that the show after the first mystery will deviate though.

(Apparantly Brian Bruckner was a main story editor on Spin City, The Class and... Joey. LOL oh well--Alan Ball's previous tv credits were all for Chuck Lorre sitcoms--he has many great horror stories about arguing with the star of Grace Under Fire over his scripts--just like Joss Whedon came from sitcoms so I guess I shouldn't judge too much. Chris Offutt is a fairly well respected sci fi/fantasy short story writer--I actually know one or two of his stories and he'll prob be a good fit if he can do dialogue. Raelle Tucker I know from Supernatural but I can't remember if she wrote anything I found particularly good--I watch Supernatural but it's not one of my "I love" shows and only sometimes really makes me pay attention. And no clue on Woo... )

Horror movies have Eli Roth and his Splat Pack. Comedies have the Judd Apatow crew. But is there a clique for pensive drama?Judging by a new crop of pics and TV series, it just might be the gang from Alan Ball's "Six Feet Under."

Writers and directors cultivated by Ball on his HBO mortuary drama are starting to break out. Scribe Craig Wright is behind ABC's "Dirty Sexy Money." Fellow scribe Nancy Oliver unveiled her first movie at Toronto last week, the offbeat love story "Lars and the Real Girl," an MGM release about a man (Ryan Gosling) who falls for a doll. And "SFU" director Jeremy Podeswa opened the fest with his frosh theatrical effort, the Holocaust pic "Fugitive Pieces."

Ball himself turned out at Toronto, premiering and selling his directorial debut, the immigrant drama "Nothing Is Private," to Warner Independent and Red Envelope.

"Six Feet Under" shut down a little more than two years ago, but its creators say the show's culture prepped them well for their own dramatic endeavors.

"If there's something that unites us, it's an aesthetic that's informed by the realization that we're all on this planet for a very short amount of time," Podeswa says.

Ball and collaborator Alan Poul fostered that aesthetic, hiring writers not on the basis of a spec script -- which he says only indicates whether a writer can sound like somebody else -- but on the strength of an original screenplay, pilot or short story.

But there's a catch to hiring young talent with burgeoning careers: They're not around to work on your next show.

With so many of the writers and directors moving on to different projects, Ball is bringing along only one "Six Feet Under" scribe (Oliver) to his upcoming HBO vampire series "True Blood," for which he is location-scouting in Louisiana.

"Part of the reason is that I wanted to start fresh. I didn't want to re-create 'Six Feet Under,' " says Ball, who notes that the supernaturalism in "Blood" means the show will have more popcorn elements than his previous HBO effort.

"Plus," he says, "I don't think I could afford that staff anymore."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117972001.html?categoryid=1019&cs=1

Plus, and I'm so sorry to be admitting this, but I don't think I'll rest till Lafayette and Eric have a love scene, LOL. (Or maybe a Jason sandwich...I'm sorry!).

Then we shall not rest together. The moment Laf said he was having sex dreams about Eric I thought would it have killed Ball to have ONE LESS Maryanne orgy and let us see one of Lafayette's dreams? Come on!

Marceline, it is probably coming but anticipation will add to it.

I love that Eric is a villain. I hate pansy ass Vampires who don't embrace their evil and pretend to be above all that. Snobs!

So I wasn't going to read the books, but alas I got them for Christmas. I'm on the second book and they are a disappointment compared to the brilliance of the shows.

"True Blood" fans, mark your calendars: HBO's vampire drama will return for Season 3 on June 13, the pay cable network said Monday.

There has been a lot of build-up and anticipation for the third season of the Alan Ball series, which is adding a lot of new blood: new cast members Denis O'Hare, Marshall Allman, Kevin Alejandro, Theo Alexander, Grant Bowler, Joe Manganiello, Lindsay Pulsipher, Brit Morgan and Cooper Huckabee, as well as J. Smith-Cameron and veteran Alfre Woodard.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3ibbc044cc9ff8f4113366fbe7283a3c39