HBO: True Blood

EricMontreal22

• Members

I have never seen True Blood, but I draw the line at calling Fantastic Mr. Fox shitty. :lol: The movie may havbe been shitty, don't know, haven't seen it. But the source material, Dahl's book, is an all-time favorite.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Maybe Dahl just deceived you. :unsure: In which case, I wonder when art and entertainment isn't meant to deceive one... (to completely go back on my earlier statement...)

(I didn't really like the movie, though I didn't find it awful, for the recor, but I grew up with the novel. It's very much a Wes Anderson flick, for good and bad, and the only time I've really loved him is when he was ripping off Salinger's Glass Family saga with Tenenbaums...)

• Members

I enjoy being deceived by Alan Ball because there has been no other show on tv where all the characters have at one point been my favorite and made me care.

As for Bill Bell, he's over-rated to the extreme. Just because most HW are so shitty in comparison does not make him great.

• Administrator

It looks like the REAL Sylph finally shows up again - I haven't seen this side of you in a while. LOL

He doesn't. Notice how he never goes in specifics. ;)

Sylph likes to point out how dumb we all are - we're either deceived or fooling ourselves whenever we like something that Sylph thinks is crap.

Anyway, can't wait for the new season. I just hope this season focuses mostly on the vampires (especially my Jessica :wub:), and please, no more maynards!

• Members

Stopping here. I watched. But you obviously haven't read what I said. Which was precisely this: he had to put it in a funeral home with depressing, mentally... interesting people. He absolutely couldn't have put it somewhere else.

• Members

I have explained all this. People have to right to be deceived if that is their choice, everybody has a right to a choice. People want to salivate over Ball? OK, doable.

I never mentioned Bill Bell. It's a non sequitur in this discussion. Bill Bell, among an army of psychos, wrote very realistic people and storylines set in realistic places. Something Alan Ball can't do. But yeah, you know, I don't watch. :) I haven't seen that accusation in a while and love it when it pops up. :D

The cheap tricks and everything else has been explained. Re-read. I hate going around in circles.

Maenads, maenads.

It's funny how no one here knows a thing about Greek mythology. :mellow:

I love it how you follow me, Toups, and how you couldn't wait to put me in your container box and say: That's the real Sylph. :D Funny. happy.gif

• Members

Hey I called her our as a Maenad before she was revealed as one--I studied a lot of Greek mythology, thank you very much :P

Enjoying someone's writing isn't the same as being deceived--or maybe it is, but like I said maybe that's a good thing. Have no authors ever "deceived" you? And if not, that's kinda sad.

You're definition of tricks makes no real sense, Sylph. SFU's drama woulda worked 100% as well without the setting, as would even True Blood's. Maybe you disagree--that's fine.

• Members

LOL @ Eric. First, I am irritated that you reply 756 hours late. dry.giftongue.gif I loose my will to reply. Second, it's funny how you didn't get anything, but now say: Your definiton of tricks makes no sense. No sh!t. Whatevs.

If those people are "real" and "relatable", it's a scary world. They all needed deep, deep psychotherapy. Years and decades of it.

• Members

I do come from a background heavy in psychology--my mom was bi polar, I grew up seeing family shrinks, saw one as a teen and then became a councellor, so I admit my bias. That said, do you really live in a world where if someone likes something you don't, you have to rationalize it as them being tricked or deceived? :P Cuz that's kinda crazy, Sylph. And a world I don't wanna live in ;)

And sorry, I actually went out dancing last night after posting my reply--I thought it'd be tacky to post from my cell phone between songs ;)

:P

• Members

I am looking forward to S3 - i felt it got off track last year with all the Michelle Forbes stuff. i thought there was still plenty of juice left in the vampire theme without going into other weird stuff.

Besides that, i thought it was just sub par writing.

I think Sookie/Anna is a weak link and hope this season strengthens the character.

• Members

Not really, no. :P I actually think you've just rationalized Ball's shows for yourself. Note all the bunch of stuff you threw out at them to do so: Knots Landing (it was important for you for it to be that, v2.0), the universality of premise and setting in your view...

Anyway, irrelevant.

And I thought you were an actor? But now you're a shrink? Working for an English literature professor? mellow.gif

Archived