HBO: True Blood

EricMontreal22

• Members

There was nothing about TB when I watched Vamp Diaries' season finale (on the Seattle CW). Hrmm. There was a Twilight thing though :rolleyes:

Sam's one of my faves too, funny none of my friends seem to really like him. So I'd congratulate you on good taste, but Jack you're insane if you prefered Season 1 to the largely brilliant (yes the Maryanna stuff, as much as I loved it, went on one or two eps too long) Season 2. I know I'm not in the minority feeling that way--and you prob will like Season 3 even less as Alan Ball is allowed more and more to go in his own direction and be less and less faithful to the novels (which really, while given great foundation, are not really that good...). Sorry ;)

(I loved how several snobby critics, like Ken Tucker at ew, gave Season 1 stunningly bad reviews--unfairly I think even if the early eps prob had too much gratuitous sex, etc--and then by Season 2 picked it as the best show of the year claiming that it was a huge turnaround, when really I think it found its own footing and tone throughout season 1)

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One or two epsiodes too long? A few more than that. Furthermore, dominating most of the season.

The jesus freaks was a great idea and poorly done.

all of season 2 was a clusterfuck. and thats rare for me to say because i normally hate first seasons and love following seasons.

Season 2 had moments that were far better than season 1, but as a whole? No, not for me.

I dont know how you take reviews from crtiics in magazine like EW seriously. its a pop culture rag, if the world loves it, they love it. Not saying people didnt preer season 2 over season 1, just saying in general.

• Members

No, because EW didnt love the first season, well thats actually hard to say because they really only review the first episode, and it wasnt a great review. The guy pretty much wrote it off. However then as it grew in popularity EW liked it. By the time the second season came around TB was so big that even if EW hated it, they were not going to say it.

• Members

They reviewed the first four (usually TV critics get at least the first 3-4 to review). Ent Weekly was one example though--I know NYTimes and New Yorker, off the top of my head, did the same about face and at least a few other reviews (and Ken Tucker is a bit of a grouch--he tends to give bad reviews to a number of very popular shows). TB didn't actually start to get huge ratings till Season 2 began--after the DVD release of Season 1 and after the new review, though it did steadily climb throughout season 1 of course (I remember a friend of mine who hates Alan Ball gleefully telling me how the premier of Season 1 was the lowest rated HBO drama premier ever or something lol).

Guess we're gonna have to disagree--I found so much of Season 2 thrilling in a way Season 1 never really was, though I did really like season one. I admit I loved Maryann and the actress so I didn't mind her taking up so much time--I thought the Church stuff and especially how it incorporated Eric and Godric was really good (and gave us a diff side of Jason from season 1 where he was essentially used to be naked and have sex). I dunno, everything was orchestrated near perfectly, and if that's your idea of a clusterfuck... -_-;) I do have a strong feeling you won't like Season 3 though, lol.

• Members

Godric on that roof and his goodbye to Eric.... :( And then with Sookie. God that was so sad.

I am really, really enjoying Season 2. Perhaps a bit less than I enjoyed Season 1 but I still love it. I think the main issue is that they're dragging a few things too much, i.e. Mary Ann, the Fellowship.... Still love it though.

And I adore Jessica and Hoyte. :wub: Or whatever his name is.

• Members

Haha, I hope we see more of Godric, in flashback anyway. Agreed about Jessica and Hoyte--when Jessica was sired at the end of Season 1 I cringed, she was just SOOO annoying I thought I'd hate the character--but the direction they've taken her has been a happy surprise, she's become a fave of mine.

I admit, I lapped up every Mary Ann moment. partly just because I love Michelle Forbes so much--but a lot of people who otherwise loved every moment of Season 2, did agree with you that her stuff went on a bit too long. Season 2 did risk one danger--season 1 kept the cast so tightly together, and then in Season 2 suddenly we have half the cast in Texas or wherever, and it always seems a danger to me when tv shows do that--so I got worried. But overall I think they did a great job (and I do still think it's overall much better to Season 1).

:lol:

• Members

Three more weeks, I'm so excited.

The Sam promo was kinda lame and predictable. The Eric & Pam and Jessica with the preacher are my faves.

What this show has going for it is a cast of great characters and I love all of them. That is rare for me.

• Members

OMG... episode 10....

Sookie having that sex fantasy with Eric and then the whole town destroyed.

Jessica loosing it with Hoyte's bitch mother (love her!)

Jason pretending to be 'The God' LMFAO

"Smite me!"

"I can't hear inside this thing!"

"Smite me!"

"What did he say?"

"SMITE ME, MUTHA.FUCKA!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And WTF Bill goes to "The Queen" but she appears to be dead? SHOCKER! :lol:

God I am loving this.

• Members

I can't imagine that the blood bond only works for those who've had Eric's blood.

I'm hoping we'll find out why the Queen is having her own blood sold. Is she just doing this in Bon Temps or all over Louisiana. Is it a way to secure the devotion of human addicts? I have to laugh at how cheap the stuff is in the shows and the books. Would it really be worth the risk of personal injury for $10,000 or was Denise Ratray off in her calculations and its more like $100,000? To me if the stuff is so great a mature vamp should net closer to 4 Million considering the really rich can drink champagne that costs over $1000 a bottle.

Archived