HBO: True Blood

EricMontreal22

• Members

This show sounds crazy. Never seen it but this thread always seems to be bumped up so I got curious. How many seasons so far? I've been really bad about series television these days since I figure everything will be cancelled after an ep or two and will pop up on Netflix anyway but I did tell myself that I'm going to give this other new vampire show, The Gates, a try.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't watch it very often (I don't have HBO right now and don't want to start on Netflix until I know more about the overall quality as the seasons go by), but I think they are in their early third season.

• Members

Yeah. I really do. The thing is, he is a vampire. He is evil. He hates this woman prob more than anyone else. She forced him to have sex with her, using the whole sire thing or whatever it is in this setting. He was angry and he acted out. Normal men have done worse, let alone a vampire effing someone who he doesnt want to and whom he hates.

This is the other side of bill, just like we are seeing the softer side of eric right now. Bill may be all sweet and gentle with sookie, but it doesnt change the fact that he is still a vampire. I think we are just so use to buffy/twilight/etc vamps.

• Members

I don't think she forced him to have sex with her. The show made a very big point of writing that Bill was released and is therefore acting on his own free will

To me the point was that anyone is capable of evil. And there are no angels on this show, human or vamp.

• Members

I thought that she compelled him and she turned him so she could or whatever the hell it is on this show. but i am not 100% sure. i was drugged up on cold meds watching it, but isnt that how it works on this show or is that in another vampire mythology?

edit to add... --OH! I tots forgot she like released him!

but yeah, the poin was showing just how evil he is. because before now we have only realy ever seen him as good, and the bad he has done has been rather minor or for good reasons.

• Members

+1

I felt it showed Bill's state of mind very well. The sick love/hate (mostly hate) that he harbors. The desire to hurt this bitch that has been trying to make his life as bad as possible. Certainly, it's a fucked up dynamic. :lol: But, as has been said, Bill is a vampire and, in a way, different rules apply. Or something. I'm not sure lol

• Members

Okay, you guys make good points. I still could've lived without it but I've gotten the feeling that they're ratcheting up the violence this season. I don't mind sex on my tv shows but too much violence will definitely send me in the other direction and "sex+violence" REALLY bothers me.

• Members

This is one of the reasons why I kind of hesitate with cable shows after a few years. Like I thought the Sopranos became almost OTT comical with their violence by the time of the second and third seasons on, just in case viewers didn't get the idea that the show was about dangerous mobsters. Nip/Tuck was along the same lines, increasingly desperate to try to show how bad-a$$ they were. And then Rescue Me, which I admit I never liked in the first place, had to do stories like "no means yes" to try to show viewers about the glory of manly men.

I guess one of the reasons I stuck with Oz was it was pretty violent from the start, so I didn't have as much to be shocked by. Of course the problem with that show was more how stupid it became in its last one or two years.

• Members

He twisted her head around as he had sex with her.

It's not "rape" though. Remember... Lorena is more powerful than Bill because she's his maker. He can't overpower her unless she allows him to. She enjoyed his brutality because it reminded her of what he used to be -- the monster he was when she first turned him. She even said "I love you" as he twisted her head around.

That said, Bill's actions were pretty savage and animalistic.

<object height="385" width="640"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHGA_sZVxis&hl=en_US&fs=1"><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHGA_sZVxis&hl=en_US&fs=1"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHGA_sZVxis&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="640"></object>

• Members

Ooookayyy... thanks Kenny. :lol: She reminds me of Sarah Brown/Tamara Braun with a dash of Fairuza Balk. Why do I feel like those "Real Girl" dolls that they showed on Real Sex are now going to have a twisty-head option? :lol: That's what she reminded me of all rubbery and head bobbin'. Stupid question, but, um, she's still alive right because she's immortal? :unsure: I'm sorry, I'm being annoying, I know I should just watch the show. And not for nothing but how is that dude boning with his pants on like that, that zipper must have been killing the boys. Nevermind, not like "pain" isn't their thing or anything...

• Members

Ep one of Oz had the penis being bit off scene, didn't it? :P

I actually found Season 1 of True Blood still more filled with gratuitous sex and violence than the later ones (well so far)--it was like they were still trying to find their rhythm and now the violence, and sex, to me feels at least more justified. I mean in this episode, we had the whole entire backstory in segmented flashbacks about all Lorena had done to Bill, and then she essentially did it to Bill again with Sookie--in his shoes I may have twisted her next too. Though I don't think it woulda gotten that far... What I think people find disturbing though--and this is warranted--is the odd mix of tones. It's almost meant to be campy/comic (like most of the show) which fits those characters, but I can see why people who see it as rape violence would really find that uncomfortable. I don't think the number of people in the media commenting on it who ONLY see that scene out of context, is helping whatsoever though. I mean it had been building up for AGES.

Archived