Love of Life Discussion Thread

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thank you so much for the tag! And, thanks for uploading this. Shazam! I cannot believe what incredibly great shape it is in! You know it just had an anniversary. Premiered Sept. 24, 1951. I had just said how much I adore Peggy McCay. Elsewhere I had posted the original opening, a little 30 second clip. This is so fantastic. 

Just went back & re-read a post elsewhere excoriating Jean Holloway. 

Edited by Donna L. Bridges
more

• Members

I don't want to start and argument, but -- actually, I am sure it is Sally Stark from Love of Life.  It is definitely her, and she went on to a role on DOOL after leaving LOL. Perhaps you are thinking of the first actress to play Kate on LOL.  She and Sally Stark looked nothing alike.  There are probably other photos of Sally Stark online, if anyone wants to compare.  But I recognize her, and even her voice is the same.  This is the actress who was playing Kate, when I watched Love of Life.  Again, not trying to be difficult, but I'm sure it is her.  

• Members
  • Members

Sorry. This is my mess. What @vetsoapfan was originally talking about was another video I had posted along with this video which had various photos (it was on Youtube under Sally Stark). They said that didn't seem to be the same Sally Stark. I deleted that video. The video you're responding to I think they knew was Sally Stark.

Thanks for your kind words. The channel isn't mine but I am always happy to share it as they have such great, extremely rare content.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

It's always fun to see soap performers in earlier soap roles.. and Peggy is no exception.  Her take on Van is somewhat different then the following 2 actresses.. but I also remember her Van played most of the content pre-dating most of her marriage to Paul and Bruce (I think Bonnie Bartlett played Van when she/Paul were trying to adopt, his crazy ex wife Judith terriorizing them.. and the start of Van/Bruce).

• Members

Yes, the actress in the video you retained in this thread is definitely Sally Stark. I never questioned that fact.  The other clip, the one you removed, did not feature the LoL actress, however. (IMHO, of course.)

And thank you so much for the tag to this crisp LoL episode. What good quality! I was not old enough to be following the show at that time, so watching this broadcast will be fun!

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

Thanks for the tag as well @DRW50 always a wonderful treat to see this early material survive as well as to see a young Peggy McCay.

Jean McBride was absolutely wonderful here, a shame she never did anything else but her role as the original Meg on the show.

I think I read somewhere when Audrey first aired at the wedding reception called everyone a different term of endearment because she had no idea who most of the character names were. 

Edited by soapfan770

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I recently purchased some breakdowns from early 1972. It came from the Loring Mandel (Christopher Bell) collection. From what I get, Mandel was hired to bring some life to the show: he quickly ended a mob storyline (C. David Colson as Carl Doyle and Leon Janney as Judge McClure both left on 01/27/72), Bill was dead, Rick left temporarily to be recast (Edward Moore left on 02/02/72 and Jerry Lacy arrived on 03/24/72). I also noticed that Barbara, whom we thought was last seen in 1971, appeared in the beginning of 1972.

I tried to sum up the first week I received:

#5287 – Monday, January 24th 1972

In Bruce’s office, Judy and Jamie were investigating the « syndicate » which seemed to have its eye on the Club Victoria. In Albany, Judy learned that Judge McClure lobbied hard for the awarding of a repavement job to Traynor and Meyers. Jamie had also learned that Doyle was a well known placer of bets for a gambling ring.

In Judge McClure’s office, Doyle came by to check on progress. McClure explained he had spoken to Barbara and urged her to sell the club to Rick who had threatened Barbara he would contest the divorce unless she sold him the club. Doyle seemed satisfied.

Judy went to the club. She saw Doyle and asked him why a successful gambler from New York was in Rosehill. She also mentioned rumors about a syndicate being intersted in business in Rosehill and that her boss, Mr. Sterling, was investigating the eminent Judge McClure about it. Doyle told Judy that if it was true, she and Bruce had to be careful.

Bruce arrived in Judge McClure’s office. He asked him why he had urged Barbara to sell the club to Rick. Bruce also questioned him about his lobbying activites for Traynor and Meyers, and Doyle’s background. Bruce said all these issued would be investigated in his newspaper. Judge McClure begged him not to do that. After Bruce left, Doyle arrived. He was angry the newspaper was interested in his business. McClure admitted he received money from Traynor and Meyers for a repavement job but they finally didn’t get the job and McClure owed them money. Judge McClure assured he would convince Barbara to sell the club to clean some of his debts to Doyle.

#5288 – Tuesday, January 25th 1972

In the morning, Barbara visited Gordon Hoyer, her lawyer. She wanted to file suit for divorce. Her charges were desertion and adultery. She was ready to enlist Kate Phillips in her cause if necessary. Barbara informed Hoyer that Rick wouldn’t contest the divorce if she would sell him the Club Victoria. She wasn’t sure about it.

Vanessa and Sarah are talking about Barbara divorcing Rick. Sarah still considered the marriage holy matrimony. Sarah also asked what was going to happen to Van in regard to Bruce. Van didn’t know – after all, Bruce violated the marriage. Stacy arrived, sobbing.

At the Club Victoria, Doyle made a final attempt to persuade Barbara to sell the club to Rick. She said she hadn’t made up her mind to sell but she didn’t want a gambler like Doyle working here. She said he was fired. Link would make the arrangements. Doyle said nasty things about Bruce and Barbara walked away.

Vanessa joined Stacy in her room. She said she was sad about Barbara and Rick’s upcoming divorce. What would happen to Hank ? Van tried to explain why a marriage sometimes broke. Stacy shook her head about the loss of her mother and the imprisonment of her father. Van tried to comfort her but Stacy turned away. Later, Stacy asked Van about Bruce. Van didn’t want to talk about her relationship with Bruce but she assured Stacy that Bruce didn’t send Matt to jail. She was wrong to hate him. Matt was convinced of accidental homicide, that was a fact.

#5289 – Wednesday, January 26th 1972

At breakfast, Charles urged Diana to insist that Tess and Johnny move in with them. Diana was opposed and added that Tess had to prepare for a future without Bill but Charles was sure Bill would soon return.

Diana visited Van and told her it was important Tess face the fac that Bill would not return. Vanessa agreed that even though Tess clung to the idea that miracle might occurr, she ought to get a job. They decided to invite Tess for a talk.

Tess entered the bookstore. Although she had a faint hope Bill might be alive, she looked quizzically at Charles because he was so convinced Bill was all right. She was concerned about Charles.

Tess then arrived at Van’s for a cocktail. She had found a sitter for Johnny. Tess realized the wisdom of planning a future – maybe finding a job at the former Krakauer Construction Company. Tess assured she would control herself but she expressed concern about Charles.

Diana came back home. She said she and Van tried to help Tess plan her future. Charles rejected the idea, certain that Bill would return. He thought Tess should stay at home to be a wife and a mother until Bill returned safe. Diana was deeply disturbed.

#5290 – Thursday, January 27th 1972

Bruce and Barbara were having coffee. Bruce urged Barbara to stand on her own feet ant not to move in with her grandparents and not to sell the Club to Rick. Rick called and asked to see Barbara. She reminded her dad Rick threatened to contest the divorce if she didn’t sell the club.

In Judge McClure’s office, Doyle explained he had been fired by Barbara, that Link Morrison had been upgraded to manager and that Barbara would not sell. That meant the Judge owed $18.000. Doyle left for New York but assured he would get the money.

Bruce visited Henry and Vivian. He confirmed to Henry that McClure had been involved in graft with Traynor and Meyers and was probably in gambling. Henry was shocked. Vivian attacked Bruce for influencing Barbara not to move in with her.

Rick arrived at Barbara’s. She questioned Rick about his source of money as he wanted to buy the Club. He said Judge McClure knew some business man who would lend Rick the money. Barbara called Rick naive as McClure was a crook. Rick was being set up to be the front man for a mob that wanted to enter Rosehill business through the respectable front of the club. Rick was surprised. Barbara added that Bruce and Judy suspected that Carl Doyle, whom she fired, was a professional gambler. Rick felt stupid and angry and assured he would contest the divorce. He left.

Jamie had forced Traynor and Meyers to admit « lending » McClure money. In his office with Bruce and Henry, the old judge confessed everything. He had to have money to cover gambling debts. He owed Traynor and Meyers $20.000 and $18.000 to Doyle. McClure couldn’t explain why he fell so low. His life was over and he was kind of relieved to have been found out. Rosehill would be better.

#5291 – Friday, January 28th 1972

In a police station, the squad car had reported the discoverey of man in Charlotte, North Carolina. His wallet indicated that his name was William Prentiss, home Rosehill. A photo of Tess and Johnny was found in his walled. The officer, Lt. Austin, called Tess and told her that her husband’s body had been found. Tess said she would bring the body home. She then telephoned Diana and explained what happened.

Diana arrived and embraced Tess. They talked about Bill’s body being foudn on the steps of a hospital. Someone had to go with Tess to bring the body home. Diana wondered how Charles would react to the news.

When Charles arrived, Tess had to tell him about Bill’s death. Charles assured the body couldn’t be Bill’s. Some vagrant probably stole Bill’s identification. He would go and investigate. Diana then called Van.

Van arrived and Di told her the news. Van assured she would spend the night with Tess so Diana could deal with Charles. After Diana left, Van shared with Tess her memory of the first time Bill came to Rosehill and stayed with her for a while.