Love of Life Discussion Thread

• Members

I've never seen that episode before.

So Vanessa was involved with Matt Slocum, but Paul Raven was hovering.

Van knew that  Jill was claiming she was still Alex's wife, even though he had married her good friend Ellie.

These synopses tie in with what we see in that episode, so it was from around that time

Mon July 20 Alex Crown's reaction to Jill's presence indicates she may not be lying.

Tues July 21 Vanessa promises to supply Jill with action.

Wed July 22 Alex hopes desperately that he can stall a little longer

Thurs July 23 Alex Crown neither confirms or denies the story.

Fri July 24 Alex has a story to tell.

Earlier in this thread, there were some story plans posted that indicated Meg was to return in the late 60's, but that never happened.

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think we know of at least two attempts to bring back Meg in the 1960s. The first was around 1963-1964 when the Phillip Holden / Kay Logan were characters. Meg was suppose to return as the head of real estate office I believe. This was in some soap opera history book that had monthly summaries based on projections. 

The second attempt was later around 1968/1969 around the time Roy Winsor had taken control of the writing room. Meg was suppose to return when Sarah Dale was on her death bed and then was to stick around to go after money from the sale of the family home if I recall correctly. 

At some point in the 1960s, Winsor felt that his shows needed to extend beyond the small circle of characters that had previously dominated his shows. This was around the time the Ames family started to fade out on “Secret Storm.” I wonder if this had any impact on Meg’s return earlier in the decade. Obviously, by the end of the decade, this course seemed to be reversed and the Ames came back to SS and Meg was slated for a return. 

• Members

When I was in college back around 1984, I came across a soap-related book in my university library. The book included a story projection for Love of Life that involved Meg's return. I recall it was pretty detailed and did involve Sarah. As part of the story, I think Bruce was going to feel alienated by Van and was going to start an extramarital affair with another woman. I'm hoping to go over to the university library after the semester is over to see if I can locate the book.

• Members

The 1962/1963 projection was from the book “From Ma Perkins to Mary Hartman” it can be found on page 7 of this thread. Meg’s return is briefly set up at the end of the projection. It looks like it was a Don Ettlinger story. I think Ettlinger may have left around this time so it may be a case of a new writer scrapping it. 

The 1968/1969 plot was from “Writing for Television.” Sarah Dale is described as a judgmental zealot who’s presence in the Sterling household after she sold her house in Barrowsville and without warning moved in with her daughter and son-in-law caused tension in Bruce and Van’s marriage. This tension lead to Bruce becoming involved with a character who was never introduced but I believe the character became Marsha Mason’s Judith Cole. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

It seemed like once Meg left that Van's step daughter took over the role of conflict for Van.

Meg's long awaited return in the 1970s seemed successful and also ushered in another child and ex husband during her time away.  

I do wonder if rumors of Meg being written out had the show continued were true..who would have taken over as the yin to Van's Yan?

• Members

@Soaplovers It does seem like Barbara, and to an extent Bruce’s former mother-in-law Vivian Carlson. I’ve read newspaper articles where Tudi Wiggins announced she wasn’t going to renew her contract in 1980 had the show continued. Ann Marcus seemed to be setting up Dana Russell’s Amy Russell. Despite the obvious Bruce connection, I think Marcus would have paired up Amy and Steve Harbach, the former cell mate of Ben’s who decided to study law upon his release from prison. Steve had developed a crush on the older Vanessa. In December, 1979, Amy and Steve attended Timothy Caufield’s wedding to Sarah Dale. If a romance developed, I imagine Steve’s attraction to Vanessa would have escalated the tension once it was revealed Amy believed Bruce was her father. I think the Amy / Vanessa dynamic would have been very interesting to see play out. 

I wonder what Marcus’ plans were for doctors Tom Crawford and Lianne Wilson once Meg was gone. Dr. Andrew Marriott seemed to be looming with a romantic interest in Lianne even though I suspect they could have eventually played Meg and Andrew more seriously. I wonder if Barbara Sterling would have assumed that role. I believe @saynotoursoap said Barbara was set to return at some point in this thread.

• Members

Always seems odd to me that throughout the 70's neither Barbara nor Alan reappeared. Seems a no brainer to have those characters on the canvas.

Barbara had been married twice right? Tony Vento and Rick Latimer.

Alan once? Can't remember the character off hand, but Alan's stories are never mentioned in summaries of the story in the 60's. 

Edited by Paul Raven

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...