Love of Life Discussion Thread

• Members

I found a piece in Variety that stated Ettlinger left Love of Life around Dec 64 or Jan 65 to work as a consultant on A Flame in the Wind. Joe Hardy brought him over.

Also from Variety Robert Soderberg began writing duties March 28, 1966

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Hardy and Ettlinger had worked together on "Love of Life." Ettlinger ended up as the writer replacing the show's creator Raphael Hayes, or so I gather. 

I know that Provo and Pickard's scripts start in April, 1965, from their collection. I wonder if the show just worked off the projections from Ettlinger until Provo and Pickard assumed the roles. 

• Members

Yes Hardy was an associate producer on LOL. Apparently Irna Phillips was also a consultant on Flame in the Wind as well. I think she out ranked Ettlinger but apparently it all worked well, possibly with Irna having the more final say on things. Not sure

Pickard and Provo may have been there from the time Ettlinger left and just writing through the remainder of his projections. They have story projections and breakdowns in their script archive starting with 1964.

I also read somewhere (and don't know where) that Roy Winsor was HW in 1965. Maybe he went uncredited for a few months while Pickard and Provo got their stuff together?

The first script listed for Pickard and Provo is #3531 April 05, 1965 and the last #3630 Aug 20, 1965

I'm inclined to believe Winsor stepped in for a few months. Maybe Jan - Apr 1965

Edited by will81

• Members

Winsor stepping in makes sense as it sounds like Ettlinger's departure wasn't planned. Pickard and Provo may have just been given scripts and projections from 1964 to have an idea of the show's characters, storylines, and tone. It's always possible they were working earlier. I do think during this time period they were also trying to relaunch "Wendy Warren and the News" as a televised daytime series.

Regarding Ettlinger and "Flame in the Wind," by the time the show becomes "Time for Us," Ettlinger is being credited as writer. The press for "Flame in the Wind" is mostly Joe Hardy explaining the vision for the show. There are some rather significant story shifts in February, 1965, for "Flame in the Wind" with the quick exit of Craig Reynolds, who was married to Roxanne Reynolds, lusted after author Kate Austen, and I believe was the object of affection for editor Flora Perkins. There was also a scheming reporter Ted Alcourt who also disappeared in February, 1965. I think in March the show introduced Liz Grey as the new threat to Kate Austen's happiness with attorney Tony Grey. Whether that was Phillips or Ettlinger's influence, I wouldn't know. 

• Members

Thanks for that info. Yeah I think Winsor was the main producer for LOL during this time and likely stepped in in that capacity and just kept things running until Pickard and Provo could get their stuff together.

My guess would be Ettlinger might have had completed scripts run through a bit of Jan 1965 as the announcement of his departure from Love of Life and transferring to Flame in the Wind was January 03, 1965.

In terms of Flame in the Wind. I think there was a slight heirarchy with Ettlinger consulting and Hardy taking his ideas up to Irna Phillips who then gave her ideas. So it would be impossible to know who came up with what story/character ideas. Plus likely they were consulting based on the writing team, so it is also possible in some cases they simply said the writers ideas were good and nothing was changed. 

Edited by will81

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

@vetsoapfan @Paul Raven @FrenchFan @dc11786 @will81 @j swift @robbwolff @Donna L. Bridges @te. @TEdgeofNight @Soaplovers @soapfan770  @danfling @antmunoz @Joseph @Vee @JAS0N47@slick jones

(apologies for anyone I missed)

This was just uploaded. I think this is the oldest LoL episode I've ever seen. Very good work from Jean McBride elevating the generic psychodramas. (she also has a somewhat "wilder" or "fallen woman" look here compared to some later years) I think she has a slip (she says "you'd never pay attention to a married man" instead of "married woman"). She carries through smoothly enough.

Edited by DRW50