Ryan's Hope Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think it's both a play on Jack's name and on Jumbo's relationship with him. "Giovanni Battista" is Italian for John The Baptist. The names John and Jack are sometimes interchangeable (perfect example was President John Kennedy sometimes being called Jack Kennedy). Both Jumbo and Jack are supposed to be Italian, Jumbo often called Jack "Giovanni" and Jumbo was something of a "godfather" figure to Jack. The godfather, of course, also is present at a child's baptism...even though Jumbo wasn't actually there for that, he does play that paternal figure role for Jack.

Edited by applcin

• Members

Watching Locher Room now and Rose Alaio (the main reason I wanted to tune in, along with Richard Backus) is having terrible tech problems...I swear I'm cursing these when I watch them.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Another good reunion. Rose sound issues resolved. Some of her comments were things she told the Soapnet forum.

Some comments ( that I can remember)

Heard before that Gordon didn't feel his storyline belonged on Ryan's Hope.

Already knew that Merit Karah was Claire (and Paul) idea. ABC backed the story.

Gordon was so thin on RH that some thought he was on drugs - he said he was just happy. He didn't want a going away party.

Richard had done a play with Kate Mulgrew in 1975. Michael Levin was also in that theater group.

Karen was hired when the show had to scramble and find a new Faith quickly when Catherine Hicks landed a role on Broadway.

Many actors helped newcomer Karen and felt like family to her.

Karen said the cast and crew loved producer Ellen Barrett.

Rose was the last contract player under Labine & Mayer. She was going to be replaced after the first month and I don't think she explained what changed the shows minds.

Ellen Barrett was a bully to Rose. (This is what we heard on the SN board. There were other actors who felt the same)

She mentioned the incest story with Rose and her father.

Rose was asked to take a pay cut for the fist year. This was a sign to her that she wasn't going to be on the show more than a year.

Rose said that Earl Hindman took a pay cut.

Rose had previously auditioned for GH and The Edge of Night before being on RH.

Gloria Monty told Rose "Don't trip over the wire"

Rose and Ron Hale were close.

Rose told of Roscoe Born's first day and how his scene to 27 takes.

Rose said the Rh taping schedule was torture.

Karen thought the taping reminded her of theater.

Rose explained that she didn't like how they had to stop while the camera was moved onto the next scene (different set and actors) to film and had to wait around to get back to continue your scene. Especially hard if you were doing an emotional scene.

Richard said Trent Jones didn't want to be killed off. Trent once  wore a T-shirt that said Ken George Jones and The Inoperable Tumors.

Gordon shared Dynasty memories and Joan Collins thought he was too old to play her son.

Richard shared As the World Turns head writing memories.

Karen said it was easier to play drunk Faith than sweet Faith. She missed acting but not enough to return. Her kids did not want to act.

Rose shared memories of Guiding Light.

Rose didn't stay for her party after she was fired. Her going away party was also for Michael Corbett (also fired)

She said Sarah Felder was very upset about being fired (for not being a romantic lead) and Sarah let them have it at her going away party.

Edited by safe

• Members

@safe Thanks for the rundown. I think it was Richard who told the story about Sarah Felder. I was glad to hear that she let them have it. 

Richard also said that when actors were fired, they were given Tiffany boxes. He said that he'd already been fired from soaps twice up to that point and this was his best firing. Rose mentioned that Louise Shaffer (I think?) later told her by the time she was fired they'd stopped giving the boxes, and that Rose was right about the party being stupid.

Rose also had a bottle of perfume that Nancy Addison had given her (either that or maybe a favorite perfume of Nancy's).

Gordon credited the show with helping him get Dynasty and with getting him out of Canada. He mentioned that he was glad when "taciturn" (I think that's what he said) Helen Gallagher praised his work after one scene.

Karen also said that she had been asked to return to RH before she did, but hadn't been interested. She finally did when Claire asked her for those final episodes.

I remember you and others mentioning Rose's Soapnet stories. I was glad to finally get to hear them for myself. She also mentioned that Lela Swift was very unpleasant toward her, and she was grateful to Louise Shaffer for telling her others were treated the same way.

You could tell she was STILL hurt over her treatment, and clearly had a much more negative experience at the show than anyone else on the panel, which led to a bit of pushback with Karen. She dominated a lot of the conversation, lots of rambling, which annoyed some in the comments, but I was glad to get to see her. She and Karen looked very good for their ages.

As always I wish we'd gotten more story questions but I know Alan doesn't really do those, and to be fair, actors don't often remember stories anyway.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

@DRW50 Thank you for filling in some details - there is always so much to remember.  I thought there would be more said about Michael Levin.

I had suspected that, among that foursome,  Rose and Gordon would be the talkers.

Edited by safe