• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks! I didn't realize he was still on the show in June of 1982. Too bad they didn't show a 1982 clip of his instead of the 1981 slip with Ann Gillespie.  He probably would have worked with Marg's Siobhan in '82.

Thanks, again! Nice to see a bit of 1982.

• Members

Helen looked wonderful. I was afraid an hour was a little long for her, though. She couldn't remember a number of things, but that was okay - it was nice to see her again.

Some things I recall - 

Helen approached to do the show. She loved that Maeve had children gathered abound her and was the center of a loving family. She adored Claire. Alan brought up that Claire created the role of Dr. Maude on One Life to Live that Helen played but Helen said she didn't remember that role.

Helen loved Bernard Barrow(Johnny).

Helen said Malcolm Groome (Pat#1) brought humanity to the role of Pat. Malcolm originally auditioned for the role of Bucky but then they had him audition for Pat. He turned down the soap at first.

Helen said Kathleen Tolan (Mary #3)was a dear friend.

Alan played Michael Corbett's (Michael Pavel) comments about Helen for her. I haven't watched that Michael Corbett interview yet.

Helen said she's not a good cook. 

Malcolm admired Claire.

Helen said it was hard to play Mary's death. He wasn't on the show at the time but he watched it. Helen adlibbed "Have a good life " at the end of the finale.

Malcolm had acted/worked with Faith Catlin (Faith #1)in North Carolina before RH. Someone asked about Faith being fired. Malcolm said he and  the others didn't really understand it. He didn't think Faith understood , either. 

Blowing up the bar bothered Helen.

Malcolm was in acting class with Nancy Addison(Jill) . Maclolm is close to Andrew Robinson (Frank #2) and still sees him and Andrew's wife. 

Helen said the  show was rumored to be cancelled long before it was dropped.

Malcolm said Maeve was the moral center of the show and as the years went by Maeve and Johnny became more accepting. Helen agreed.

Alan asked about practical jokes on the set. Rose Alaio (Rose) sent a message that Daniel Hugh Kelly (Frank #3)was a prankster.

Malcolm's 17 year old cat made an appearance.

They agreed that the legacy of the show was family.

Helen's mother lived to 101 years old.

I hope Carl will help fill in some details. (Fingers crossed)

Edited by safe
More thoughts

• Members

Two more 1982 promos. (the volume varies on this and as it goes along can suddenly get loud)

I missed a few bits but I think you got most of what I saw, and some of what I didn't. They talked about Nancy Addison. Malcolm still misses her, and Helen says she still feels like Nancy has never left. I think Malcolm also said he worked with Nancy before the show (although maybe that was Faith Catlin), as well as Ilene.

Malcolm said he and Helen didn't work together on the first day of taping as it was split between home scenes and hospital scenes. Malcolm also talked about the location footage in that episode and how rare it was. And he pointed out that Ryan's Hope was the first soap set in a real city.

Alan asked them if they felt the show got worse when ABC bought it. Helen said she didn't. 

• Members

Kudos to Alan Locher for having to pivot constantly because of Helen's one or two word answers. In hindsight, a 97 year old should not be interviewed live. It's a great idea to interview a living legend, just not live. I'm sure with prodding and editing she could have remembered more and it would have been a great interview. Malcolm rescued that episode by talking alot.

• Members

I am not attempting to begin an argument, but that this show is the first soap opera to be set in a real city is false.

ABC's The Best of Everything was set in New York City.

CBS's Love Is a Many Splendored Thing was set in San Francisco.

1954's Woman with a Past was set in Manhatten.