Ryan's Hope Discussion Thread

• Members

More from the author:

"I am so happy to announce that thanks to literary agent Lee Sobel my book Ryan's Hope: The Oral History will be published by Kensington Books for release in November 2023."

@Vee @DRW50 @safe @applcin @Sean @victoria foxton @AbcNbc247 @Soapsuds @beebs @robbwolff @John @amybrickwallace @vetsoapfan @jam6242 @danfling @DeliaIrisFan @dc11786 @Paul Raven

Edited by slick jones

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Are the episodes prior to 1230 not available in the better quality? I started watching 1230 to see the much reviled Prince Albert plot but can't find the build up to the Belvedere Castle climax. 

Unless I was that bored, and I do love camp, I rather enjoyed the ending with Roger sitting vigil below and the rescue. I thought the fall was actually well produced and loved the added effect of Delia awaking as she began her fall below. I caught a few episodes in the 1170 range. 

Overall I enjoy the show, I remember loving Jack when I watched on SoapNet. I prefer Ilene as Delia but rather enjoy this one (Randall Edwards?) 

• Members

Lovely tribute to John Gabriel (RIP).  Glad Alan included his daughters to provide insight into John the family man.  No surprise: John was a total mensch — Louise Schaffer’s stories shed light on his generosity.  

Ilene made me laugh when commenting that she and John were just two of many Jews cast on the Irish Catholic Ryan’s Hope…

Edited by gimmetoo

• Members

I mean, Muenker appeared on a ton of soaps, including on several as different characters in different eras.  I'm sure she has a ton of stories to tell if she wants to go there.  Wasn't it her Marianne on AW who had the abortion story (that was somehow tied to Harding Lemay's plan to have the character's brother come out, which the network vetoed)?

As far as RH, Muenker was there for the waning Kirkland era, right: after Catsy, Hollis, et al had been written out, while Leigh was being introduced?  I'm not sure she ever shared a scene with Haskell or Jones.  I doubt she'll have much to say about a relatively brief role, almost 40 years later. 

I would be curious to hear (what if anything she knows/remembers about) why they recast the role, only to write the character out altogether a few months later.  Was that always the plan?  Did Mary Page Keller want to leave (I don't believe she started on AW until a little later) or were they "taking the character in a new direction"?  And, if so, was that intended direction how Muenker ended up being used: as someone for Leigh to talk to for a few months when she didn't know any other characters, and a short-term spoiler for Pat and Faith?  At least, that's all I remember of her from what's available on YT.

Edited by DeliaIrisFan