Jump to content

Santa Barbara Discussion Thread


dm.

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Members
18 hours ago, FrenchBug82 said:

I am reminded of something Alexis Matteo said about drag queens on RuPaul's Drag Race.
"Drag queens are supposed to be over-the-top. If you just want to see a pretty girl, go to the mall".

That's how I feel about soaps. Soaps are supposed to be OTT. If I want to see run-of-the-mill tragedies I can turn on the news.

I don't mind OTT. And I adore OTT characters. But I need there to be some basis in reality. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
14 minutes ago, Marissa Gallant said:

I don't mind OTT. And I adore OTT characters. But I need there to be some basis in reality. 

Oh I am the first one to appreciate storylines that resemble real dynamic between real people and "real" issues. But I don't think Santa Barbara lacked those either.
I just don't accept the criticism of SB's campiness at times. That's part of the charm of the genre for me, regardless of the show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, FrenchBug82 said:

Oh I am the first one to appreciate storylines that resemble real dynamic between real people and "real" issues. But I don't think Santa Barbara lacked those either.
I just don't accept the criticism of SB's campiness at times. That's part of the charm of the genre for me, regardless of the show.

You said it! If Soaps didn't have OTT moments they would be documentaries, even reality shows tend to be OTT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
5 hours ago, Marissa Gallant said:

Not very much! Oh, swoon. That's why I liked Mason and Tory. They recited Shakespeare at each other.

UGH, Tori. Hated her. From beginning to end. All she really existed as was a foil. Maybe had the writers not made her a rapist (Cruz) and drug-addicted shrew and gave her a bit more of a backbone, I could have warmed to her. As it was, though, I did not miss Kristen Meadows once she left the show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
57 minutes ago, Wendy said:

UGH, Tori. Hated her. From beginning to end. All she really existed as was a foil. Maybe had the writers not made her a rapist (Cruz) and drug-addicted shrew and gave her a bit more of a backbone, I could have warmed to her. As it was, though, I did not miss Kristen Meadows once she left the show.

What's funny is that she ended up being the spoiler in her own love story! Was anyone expecting Mason/Julia to take off like that?

After what she did to Cruz, I never understood why he, Eden and all the rest were always so nice to her. I never bought it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 minute ago, amybrickwallace said:

What's funny is that she ended up being the spoiler in her own love story! Was anyone expecting Mason/Julia to take off like that?

After what she did to Cruz, I never understood why he, Eden and all the rest were always so nice to her. I never bought it.

Mason/Julia weren’t the plan but their baby contract scenes were a much more obvious build to a pairing for me than Mason and Tori were. I never bought the Tori/Mary comparison they were initially pushing and never got why Mason would have fallen for her. Of course, what little build they had died as soon as they actually got married which made it more baffling that they were the planned pairing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I would add that what really didn't make sense was Mason's explanation for claiming to be the father of Tori's baby was to help Eden and Cruz.  As if it was ever in keeping with the character of Mason that he would sacrifice his own happiness for Eden's?  I don't buy it for a minute...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
8 minutes ago, j swift said:

I would add that what really didn't make sense was Mason's explanation for claiming to be the father of Tori's baby was to help Eden and Cruz.  As if it was ever in keeping with the character of Mason that he would sacrifice his own happiness for Eden's?  I don't buy it for a minute...

Well, "helping" Eden and Cruz also involved more money or something, if I remember right, or some bonus in CC's will or whanot. As much as I liked Mason, that made it make more sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy