Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Hi all I'm new here.

Question about 1988. I've never seen it. I've been watching just at the very start and Cruz and Eden are in Hawaii and he gets sick bc of some cursed rock and is also asked to do an assignment for his old spy agency.

Where does this story go? Bc it seems dumb and I don't know how much to ff lol. Does it connect to the storyline with Cain and Andrea and this Harry guy?

Or I vaguely read about a storyline where some amulet or something curses Cruz....not sure. 

I've read some summaries online but I'm not 100% sure.

I'm starting 1988 with queasiness lol. The writing seems so poor already by the tail end of 1987.

Edited by Keri

• Members

At the end of 1987 the writing crisis began because Dobsons left the show. Then the problem increased because of the Writers Guild of America strike, which lasted from March to August 1988. It follows that the quality of screenwriting was restored just before October.

• Members

One of what I thought was one of the show's best and most unique characters was Flame. I was so disappointed when they wrote her out. She was an extremely complex character IMO.

I still remember the shock of this sequence when Debra London turned into Flame AND we found Robert being held captive.

• Members

As far as I know, Roberta's one-year contract was coming to the end. A couple of weeks before that she was asked to get a short haircut. And when the time ran out, the contract  was not extended, and replacement was introduced. Surprise! She had short haircut. And authors quickly wrote Flame out of the plot. Roscoe Born was just furious about this.

By the way, Flame, like Cassandra, was Conboy's fulfilled promise to introduce more young sexy female characters. In my opinion, the early period of Conboy was not so bad (up to the story of Andre Wolfe and Lisa).