Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Members

We covered this in 2019 and so, with all due, I think you might have the sequence a bit off.

Roberta and Roscoe were dating, (they wed in 1994 three years after they left SB).  In 1991, Roscoe had a huge argument with Conboy, including a letter that was "leaked" to the soap press.  Roscoe left the show (June 11,1991), and Roberta followed suit (July 19, 1991). 

The character of Quinn/Robert was written off.  Flame continued for a short bit after the recast.  She was paired in an unpopular coupling with ex-priest Michael that seemed like an attempt to rehabilitate the character.  Nobody could say that the SB writers in 1990 didn't see the character's value because she got her own set and an entire family built around her.  It seems like an unfortunate BTS story that torpedoed that story, because the show was certainly invested in the plot, until the Dobson's returned, and tried to revert Kelly back to her Princess Bride days and she lost all of the smarts she gained during her relationship with Robert/Quinn/Craig.

Edited by j swift

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

All I can do is to refer to  Roscoe's article "Dirty Deeds of 'Soap' World Aren't So Funny", published in the "LA Times", June 24, 1991. He and Roberta just left SB (her last episode was aired a month later). 

* A talented but in the eyes of the producer "difficult" actress with waist-length hair agrees to cut her hair to chin length at the producer's insistence. The day after cutting it, she's fired.

He didn't name the producer's "victim", but I guess there's no need to be Sherlock. Judging by this quote, her dismissal came as a surprise and they both weren't happy about how it happened.

As for Born, he left on his own, he made it clear at the end of 1990 that he wouldn't renew the contract. I agree that after he left, Flame was no longer needed in the plot. But I don't know why the writers ignored the personal chemistry between the actors earlier. Obviously, Roscoe wasn't so interested in acting out love scenes with Carrie, because there was another woman on the set with whom he was really in love. Not only Quinn, but Robert, being a prisoner, also looked at Flame with eyes full of desire.

I've been reading you irregularly, but for a long time, since about 2012. I signed up now because a lot of SB fans have recently had the opportunity to rewatch almost all SB seasons, and your conversation is like discussing a show that is still on the air.  I'm looking forward to the return of Marissa Gallant, because if she needs someone who will always be interested in discussing Sophia, then here I am! 

Please register in order to view this content

If you'll have any questions about Russian resources dedicated to SB, you can ask me, I'll be glad to help.

• Members

The Flame/Michael pairing was successful though but it never got off the ground because of her firing.  Wasn't it Rauch who fired her though? He also fired Louise Sorel because of their previous relationship. 

Edited by chrisml

• Members

Aw, new job keeps me busy. I thought people were tired of discussing Sophia. So, I sort of stopped. Tori just came to town and Sophia went to let her know who the Queen actress in town really is. I will say Tori is more annoying when you aren't ffing through her scenes.

And Cruz is a terrible detective. Eden says she's having lunch with an attractive Italian aristocrat and he didn't know she's referring to the Contessa? 

I also don't think Haley murdering Amy had long enough dramatic repercussions. The animosity that should have existed between Ted and Brick could have provided friction for the rest of the show! And it would have effected everyone. Which son does Sophia side with? Kelly, baby brother or older brother, who had her as his best man? Could have been a frickin GOLD MINE, but tptb were too short sighted.

There could have even been a recast Brick who comes back with a vendetta. 

Louise Sorel refused to allow Augusta to date Julia's rapist and left the show. Very fuzzy on whether she quit or was fired, but it was the Augusta/Dash romance that cost us Augusta. (And allower Days to get Vivian- our loss their gain)

• Members

I do wonder why they never bring back Kauffman Demott from the dead.

He could be delussional and claimed C.C. abducted him in order to get Brandon from a fragile Gina. Seeing a malicious Gina, he would team up with Santana to get custody of Brandon.  Finally his illness was Kirk Cranston's doing . He was brainwashed...

• Members

I would have preferred Count Armonti to Marcello the WWII orphan child out for revenge on a man who would have to be 65 in 85.

It could have been the Count's brother that abducted the amnesiac Sophia. (I want the count to basically be a good guy, so I do not want him to be the one who took her.)

Although an evil count could have been fun against Jed Allan. 

And yes, Sophia did NOT leave CC and her children, she was abducted. 

That was not a worthy story for JM. And she looks so tiny against him.