Jump to content

Santa Barbara Discussion Thread


dm.

Recommended Posts

  • Members
5 hours ago, j swift said:

Wait, if Lionel didn't know until 1985, then how did Minx know in 1961 when she switched the babies?

Minx bribed a priest who listened to Sophia's confession on the wedding eve. The irony is that Sophia was not a Catholic, and this aroused Minx's suspicion when she noticed her entering the church. Sophia had just found out that she was pregnant by Lionel and she needed to make a decision whether to abandon the wedding or go on to the end. The second variant meant that she will hide the fact that her child is not CC's (there was no intimacy with him before the wedding).

Minx knew Lionel was having an affair with Sophia, but she has never discussed it with him. 

Her first decision was to tell him about Sophia's pregnancy, obviously considering it as a priority. Maybe she preferred Lionel to divorce and marry to Sophia for their child. But she didn't have time, because Lionel informed her that Augusta was also pregnant. And the scales tilted  to the direction of Augusta because she was pregnant + wife, and Minx kept silent about Sophia. 9 months later she came to hospital to watch her  first newborn grandson. And there happened to be another newborn boy. Minx acted spontaneously. Switching was not by plan.

Edited by Tyro
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Members
10 hours ago, j swift said:

Wait, if Lionel didn't know until 1985, then how did Minx know in 1961 when she switched the babies?

Minx bribed the priest that Sophia confessed to. Minx found out about Lionel and Sophia's affair, and had a friend call while they were together to congratulate Mrs. Lockridge. Sophia was devastated. Sophia honed in on CC, knowing it would hurt Lionel and that her baby needed a father. Minx had Sophia followed, figured something was up after Sophia went to confession. Minx then bribed the priest with enough money the priest crumbled. Sophia confessed that she was marrying a man she didn't love because she was pregnant with a married man's baby. Minx switched her grandson with the only other boy in the hospital. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I just rewatched the Lionel and Sophia yacht scenes and I still don't think it went farther than a kiss. I do believe that the temptation was there. But if they HAD I don't think that Lionel would have backed off as quickly as he did after they returned. I think the different clothes are just because it was a different day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

@Tyro & @Marissa Gallant Thank you so much for filling in the details about the baby switch

Wow, it really was egregious!  Not only did she deprive her one of her grandchildren of the benefits of a good education and a relationship with his siblings, but she watched Warren get everything that Brick was denied.  It is a shame that Judith Anderson's poor health truncated that story because it could have been mined for years.

Given Minx's disappointment at Warren's lack of motivation when he was a lifeguard, as well as his gambling addiction which cost her the mansion, there could have been so much drama derived from a Brick vs Warren rivalry.  As I recall there was a brief period when Warren was concerned that Brick was stealing from Minx because he found the check that she gave Brick, but I would have enjoyed seeing so much more made of their relationship.

Edited by j swift
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
9 hours ago, j swift said:

Wow, it really was egregious!  Not only did she deprive her one of her grandchildren of the benefits of a good education and a relationship with his siblings, but she watched Warren get everything that Brick was denied.  It is a shame that Judith Anderson's poor health truncated that story because it could have been mined for years.

I don't remember the details, but Minx took care of a good education for Brick. Something related to finance or management.They knew each other long before his arrival in SB, Minx sponsored him openly since his childhood, allegedly because of some incident in the past when he saved her life in the circus. Lockridges were shocked to see that their driver deftly deals with accounting, while highly suspicious Minx absolutely trusts him. 

As I said, Warren took after his father and grandfather, who spent the inheritance, while Brick took after her. Minx really saw him as an heir, and she didn't care that he was illegitimate. She just forgot to explain the reasons to the rest of the family. 

They thought that Grandma had gone crazy or Brick had just somehow fooled her. They hoped that this new favorite would soon disappear as quickly as he had appeared. And here is Lionel's first reaction after Minx confirmed that Brick is her grandson: "It turns out that you seriously want to put him above me and MY children!" 

I hate that he firstly perceived Brick as a competitor for Minx money and secondly as something that unites him with Sophia. He will find his way to Brick as his son only in a year. Even CC, to please Sophia, offered Brick his friendship earlier.

Of course, Brick was more Lockridge than Capwell or Wayne. He was connected with this family from the very beginning.  And his role was significantly reduced after the Lockridge family broke up.

Edited by Tyro
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
13 hours ago, Marissa Gallant said:

I just rewatched the Lionel and Sophia yacht scenes and I still don't think it went farther than a kiss. I do believe that the temptation was there. But if they HAD I don't think that Lionel would have backed off as quickly as he did after they returned. I think the different clothes are just because it was a different day.

In the evening Sophia was terrified. The next day she is  in the same condition. The question is: why do you spend the entire night on a yacht if you are so upset, feel discomfortable and can go ashore at any moment? That's illogical.

The answer is: in the evening Sophia was afraid of what might happen, and in the morning she was horrified by what had  happened  (It's a, it's a, it's a-a, it's a sin! )

She says: "This whole trip has been a mistake". And he answers: "Nothing we've done has been a mistake, not when two people love each other". It's more like talking about what happened on this trip than about their love in the distant past. 

You said correctly that Lionel wouldn't have backed off. And he really tried to fight for her. He immediately came to the Sophia's apartment (which he found and furnished for her) and said that she wouldn't run away from him. He followed her relentlessly in the casino. He gambled the all-or-nothing game with CC, he even fought with him! He didn't care how Augusta looked at it all. He made the choice! I so loved it.  And then the authors just dropped this storyline, as they dropped many other things, and switched to Lionel-Augusta and CC-Sophia relationships.

Edited by Tyro
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
45 minutes ago, Tyro said:

In the evening Sophia was terrified. The next day she is  in the same condition. The question is: why do you spend the entire night on a yacht if you are so upset, feel discomfortable and can go ashore at any moment? That's illogical.

The answer is: in the evening Sophia was afraid of what might happen, and in the morning she was horrified by what had  happened  (It's a, it's a, it's a-a, it's a sin! )

She says: "This whole trip has been a mistake". And he answers: "Nothing we've done has been a mistake, not when two people love each other". It's more like talking about what happened on this trip than about their love in the distant past. 

You said correctly that Lionel wouldn't have backed off. And he really tried to fight for her. He immediately came to the Sophia's apartment (which he found and furnished for her) and said that she wouldn't run away from him. He followed her relentlessly in the casino. He gambled the all-or-nothing game with CC, he even fought with him! He didn't care how Augusta looked at it all. He made the choice! I so loved it.  And then the authors just dropped this storyline, as they dropped many other things, and switched to Lionel-Augusta and CC-Sophia relationships.

Because a yacht is in the middle of the ocean. Or at least several miles from shore.

She's telling him to take her to shore, right now. That makes me think they are too far out for her to just hop onto the pier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
2 hours ago, Tyro said:

And his role was significantly reduced after the Lockridge family broke up.

1986 started off strong for the Lockridges, but as Louise Sorel and John Allen Nelson left (both of their own accord, I believe) and Dame Judith Anderson's appearances grew more sporadic, they really became a non-entity. Even Lionel's second marriage to Caroline Wilson seemed more like an afterthought.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

While it's great that Judith McConnell will be featured in a Locher Room episode, I don't get why Alan has yet to put together a SB panel. He's done solo episodes with A Martinez and Nicolas Coster. Heck, he even put together a Generations panel. Why not SB?

While it's great that Judith McConnell will be featured in a Locher Room episode, I don't get why Alan has yet to put together a SB panel. He's done solo episodes with A Martinez and Nicolas Coster. Heck, he even put together a Generations panel. Why not SB?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
4 hours ago, Marissa Gallant said:

Because a yacht is in the middle of the ocean. Or at least several miles from shore.

She's telling him to take her to shore, right now. That makes me think they are too far out for her to just hop onto the pier.

Well, well, well  What if I have proof they weren't in the middle of the ocean or even a few miles from shore? 

 The “good night” dialogue between CC and his private detective:

-Not much to report, Mr. Capwell. So far Lockridge’s yacht hasn't moved an inch. They still anchored off Carmel

-They both still on board?

-Yes, sir.

- !!!

CC is so upset because he knows Sophia has the opportunity to go ashore. Carmel is 190 miles from Santa Barbara. Not so far. She could have ordered Lionel to turn the yacht to SB (CC was definitely counting on it), she could have taken a cab. But she spends the night on a board of the parked yacht. It's like if she spent the night with Lionel in his apartment or hotel suite. CC understands what this means.

The next day they sailed a little further, to Monterey, and there was another dispute, and only in Monterey Sophia went ashore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
2 hours ago, amybrickwallace said:

While it's great that Judith McConnell will be featured in a Locher Room episode, I don't get why Alan has yet to put together a SB panel. He's done solo episodes with A Martinez and Nicolas Coster. Heck, he even put together a Generations panel. Why not SB?

While it's great that Judith McConnell will be featured in a Locher Room episode, I don't get why Alan has yet to put together a SB panel. He's done solo episodes with A Martinez and Nicolas Coster. Heck, he even put together a Generations panel. Why not SB?

It's needed asking him

Please register in order to view this content
 He is available on Facebook.

It seems to me that even the idea of reuniting the classic SB cast for a mini-series is not so crazy. Just need to hurry while most of them are alive. I see the problem only in the copyright holders. I mean, who holds the rights to the names and characters? NBC? Disney? Or is it not a problem at all to shoot several episodes with the SB characters no asking copyright?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy