Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Augusta came from a poor family with an alcoholic father and earned her bread by working as a model (that's how she met Lionel). The Hollywood starlet was a step up the social ladder for her son, lol.

They say that compared to Channing, Brick doesn't look like Sophia and Lionel. But I see that Brick looks like... Minx (and we know how important was the external similarity of the screen relatives for SB casting)  Lionel also doesn't look like his mother. Most likely, he took after Tiger and passed the Lockridge genes to Warren. But Brick was Grandma's grandson. I think she's seen her blood since Brick was a kid, that's why she took such gentle care of him. And after all, it was Sophia who gave birth to the grandson most similar to her.

I loved Amy. She was a kind of earthly person who got into a soap opera from ordinary life. It was as if she kept wanting to ask, "What the hell is going on around here? No matter. Let's try to build a normal life inside of this." And Kerry's playing was very natural. I don't know who decided that normal life inside a soap opera is not interesting to watch. On the contrary, Amy and Brick gave credibility to this fictional world.

And in other soap operas, people are allowed to live a normal peaceful life? Without murders, divorces and rapes every two weeks?

• Members

WAW!

Please register in order to view this content

I wonder if it is possible to bet somewhere that she will be asked about Dominique and half of the interview they will talk about this boring storyline, makeup, dressing up -  the period when Sophia herself didn't exist?  Please don't! 

Let's come up with questions that no one has asked her yet.

Ask her if she chose her partners? This is more or less known about Jed. But Chip Myers didn't succeed in casting for the role of Scott, and someone liked him so much that the TJ character was invented for Chip. Why was Stephen Slade recasted after 2 months? Who chose John O'Hurley? She was never asked about it.

Do you have some  unreleased questions to Judith?... 

• Members

The fire story was very well done. I don't think anything happened on the boat, she wanted out of there right after one kiss. 

Jed and Judith- she often said they were like a married couple without the physical part. It makes me want to hug her and tell her she's missing the fun parts. Not that I wanted Jed to cheat on his wife, I just get the feeling from interviews that she was hurt very, very deeply once and never allowed herself to fall in love again. It makes me a bit sad, but she did get her daughter and that brought her a lot of joy.

I got to see the 88 train scenes during Christmas vacation from college. I bought 2 Michael Feinstein tapes and wore them out! Loved those scenes. I would love to see the other years you mention.

I made a point of watching Mason and Julia's wedding.

When you read all of the cast interviews on the french site, a lot of the cast mentions staying in touch with Louise Sorel, and you can see that in the show too. I find all of the backstage stuff just as interesting as the show.

Definitely will talk Dominic, and it will be the same answer as always.

I don't really know what I would ask, honestly. That's why I'm not an interviewer or reporter. That's not my strong suit. Fiction writing, opera singing, those I can do.

Edited by Marissa Gallant
Spelling

• Members

SHE DIDN'T LEAVE RIGHT AWAY. 

Please register in order to view this content

She spent night there and left the boat next morning. Here is the chronology:

1. Sophia provokes Lionel (yeah!), he kisses her, and after a short resistance, she puts her arms around his neck. She is in a yellow jacket, he is in a suit

2. A private detective instead of "good night" informs CC that the yacht is moored, but no one has gone ashore. CC breaks his cane in a rage and goes upstairs. Before that, he had remained calm and confident that she would come ashore before nightfall. 

3. Lionel and Sophia show up the next morning. They aren't dressed like the day before - he is in a sweater, she is in a crimson blouse. Undoubtedly, she spent the night on board. And it's hard to believe that after Lionel's storm they fell asleep on a separate beds because Sophia was too lazy to go ashore previous night.  If she had refused Lionel, she would have left immediately. She was always afraid to stay alone with him because she was losing control.

As for the fact that she's annoyed, it's typical for Sophia to pretend after sex that nothing happened. 

4. After the fire, she  fervently denied that anything had happened between her and Lionel (and it was truth). But now, after the boat trip, she makes it clear to Ted and Eden that it's none of their business.

By the way, she changed after that night trip. Whatever happened on the yacht, it restored her self-confidence. 

But it's a hurtful that the important part of the Sophia's storyline has been stolen from us. 

• Members

I think it was a huge missed story opportunity to not publicly shame Minx for switching Brick and Channing at birth. Can you imagine a class-action lawsuit filed by Sophia, Lionel and the Wallaces? It could have been the biggest Capwell vs. Lockridge story SB ever did.

Maybe such a story was in the works, but Dame Judith Anderson wasn't in the best of health to play it? I guess we'll never know.

• Members

Was Brick randomly switched with the baby next to him or did the Wallaces know that Brick had been switched?  If so, what was their motivation for keeping it a secret from him? 

Do you think Minx secretly dyed Channing's hair blond his entire life, or were they just lucky that he looked so much like his non-biological siblings?

Also, did CC ever know that Brandon wasn't his biological grandson (because he was not related to either Channing nor Brick)?  I know he maintained a relationship with Brandon, so I wonder if anyone ever told him the truth? 

I guess Santana told Brandon that he was adopted one of the many times that she tried to kidnap him, but I also wonder if either of them ever knew that Channing was a faux Capwell?

It's just interesting that Brandon's maternity was mined for stories several times over the years, but his paternity got swept under the rug once everyone forgot that Brick existed.

Edited by j swift

• Members

They didn't know. It's been a while since I watched that period of the show, but I recall that the man Brick thought was his father was tracked down and it was discovered that he wasn't actually Brick's father (I think Brick was in some kind of medical situation and they found out because of the blood types), which was upsetting to Brick's mother because she had been faithful to her husband.

• Members

Wow, Minx's baby switching scheme seems even less logical and more malicious now that I realized it was random.

Setting aside how she could have known for sure that Channing Jr was Lionel's biological son, (or how she got into the maternity ward, or how she knew that she would later be able to contact her grandson), by switching him with the Wallace baby, without providing any financial support to the parents, just so that he wouldn't be raised in Capwell household she deprived him of a good education and all of the benefits of growing up with wealth.

On the other hand, seeing what a bastard Channing became, perhaps she was wise to want her grandson to be reared in a less caustic environment. 

• Members

No one knew about the baby switch until Brick's accident. Brick might have needed a kidney (or something). The doctors weren't sure if he would heal or need replacement parts, but Nick and Kelly tracked down Mr. Wallace and had him tested just in case. They found out he wasn't Brick's dad then. Brick accused his mom. Augusta also accused his mom. Then Brick got better and figured out that Minx did the switch. Brick told everyone. No more secrets. They don't show Santana finding out, but no way did she not know. Brick publically got very loud several times about who his real parents are.

CC knows Brandon is not related. But at this point, he loves the kid and Gina is...Gina. 

Brandon is older when he finds out he was adopted.