Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

dm.

• Members
1 minute ago, Wendy said:

Technically, yes. Although it was mentioned during Gordon Thomson's tenure and tied in to his proposing to Julia again. (Julia had Mason kidnapped to Las Vegas and some strange woman showed up to Mason's hotel room, claiming to have married Mason [when he was Sonny]. LONG story. Played for humor.)

Thanks. I can't see TL or GT as Sonny Sprocket. Or with Mary. Or with Gina.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
1 hour ago, Marissa Gallant said:

Thank you. I thought that DiD was mostly a soap woman problem and it seems I'm right. 

I don't think amnesiac Mickey Horton dissociated exactly when he called himself Marty Hansen on Days. Similarly amnesia also caused Jake McKinnon on AW to think he was Bunny Eberhart. 

• Members

Returned to Santa Barbara for the first time in about a month... and honestly, I didn't miss it. I can see why this soap didn't work out... the Dobsons and their teams really destroyed the soap, and Jill Farren Phelps' desire to forefront the bore of Cruz & Eden is such a turn-off.

• Members
18 minutes ago, Liberty City said:

Returned to Santa Barbara for the first time in about a month... and honestly, I didn't miss it. I can see why this soap didn't work out... the Dobsons and their teams really destroyed the soap, and Jill Farren Phelps' desire to forefront the bore of Cruz & Eden is such a turn-off.

Which episode are you on? I ask you to know better what you are talking about. I'm now near 940 and I have lost all the interest. But I’m still watching.

• Members
47 minutes ago, Connelly said:

Which episode are you on? I ask you to know better what you are talking about. I'm now near 940 and I have lost all the interest. But I’m still watching.

That time period (spring/summer 1988) wasn't that great. Eden/Cruz didn't get a great story after the wedding until the rape that fall. Then you had TJ and both Kelly and Sophia fascinated by him - ugggggh. I think Gina and Keith got married around this time and their Wheel of Fortune appearance is around the 950s.

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Members
49 minutes ago, Liberty City said:

I was a Cruz/Eden fan but they were definitely used too heavily. I think my main issue was the times the show had them be pretty much the entire story. Having them be the lead couple would have been fine but the other characters spent most of their scenes talking about them. 

• Members
2 hours ago, Liberty City said:

I'm on 522, and still very intersted. But 86, 87 are my favorite years

Oh, My Favorite Year. Someone should write a song about that.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

1987 SB was hit or miss for me. The Utah story went on too long and the Elena story never reached full potential, but the Eden/Cruz in Hawaii jaunt and Eden's return home paralyzed were well worth watching. I actually think Kelly's tough love speech to Eden in her wheelchair was one of Robin Wright's strongest moments on the show.

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Members

I agree that the mountain portion of the Eden/Elena story went on too long.  It was so much more fun when Eden returned and spared with Elena. 

Elena was written with my favorite type of bitchiness, where she would be so sweet that sugar wouldn't melt in her mouth to Cruz, and then cruel to Eden.  So, every time Eden tried to tell people that Elena was awful, she just looked jealous.  It played so well on Eden's history that she would be envious of the attention that Cruz and CC paid to Elena, that they just chalked up her reaction to Eden's insecurity.  When, as an audience, we were in on the reality that Elena was awful. 

The writing and performance balanced the line of Elena being unhinged and it going slightly unnoticed without making Cruz and CC seem dumb.

• Members

Well as I’ve mentioned previously, Elena was written into a corner, with no future as a love interest. Also, with the battle over casting Pamela, there may not have been support for characters from a prior regime. Finally, as a big name at the time she might have signed a limited contract 

• Members
3 hours ago, j swift said:

Well as I’ve mentioned previously, Elena was written into a corner, with no future as a love interest. 

Sherilyn Wolter never got another promising soap role again, which is too bad. I always wondered why she never reprised Celia on GH. In any case, her last listed imdb role was in the mid-1990s.