Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

One thing I appreciate from the early days of Gina and Santana was how cruel Eden could be in response to their schemes.  In particular, the scene when Eden told Gina that Santana was Brandon's mother.  I wish more of Eden's conflicts with Cruz came from trying to suppress her cruelty, rather than drama based on intruders in their relationship and people trying to harm Eden.  Much like the relationship of Julia and Mason, it would have been cool to see Eden try to avoid having Cruz know how underhanded she was at work.  She bonded with Kirk over their mutual desire for power in CC's company, but afterward she barely had any office-based stories.  For example, it would have been interesting to she her push for the off shore oil drilling that the environmentalists opposed.  I also think it would have been contemporary for Eden to question wanting to raise kids, in opposition to Cruz's desire for a huge family (except, of course, once he was single and he sent those kids off to Mexico on the first flight out of town).  Because, for me, the constant victimization of Eden is what failed to differentiate her from Kelly.

Finally, for today, I was just thinking about how odd it was that Mason's sobriety was a constant source of conflict for him as a character, but Gina's pill addiction was treated as a passing fancy that was never revisited.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I love these ideas for Eden and you are spot on. Eden is supposed to be the one that's the most like CC. And at the beginning,  she was very strong and no one's victim. But they couldn't have that and it all changed. 

Robin's Gina was SO much stronger than Gibbony that the pill addiction was a thing of the past. I think Mattson could have pulled it off, but I'm okay that it didn't. 

• Members

Oh Eugene and Calliope were favorites at my house. I love humor. And they provded that in spades. 

I start another new job on Tuesday, so my watching is going to slow down again. But the job is a half hour closer to home, is more interesting, and pays 25% more so I can live with not watching 9 episodes a day! 

• Members

Can't picture it at all. Dylan may have been eye candy, but I think Julia needed someone that stimulated her intellectually as well as physically and emotionally. For that reason alone, Mason really was a great match for her.

(Yeah, I have a bias, but I also think it's true that Julia needed someone as intelligent as she was. And yes, maybe a bit as neurotic/messed up. LOL!)

• Members

Are u really trying to compare both shows? As much as i love Days but as an soap opera Days is a hot mess. I mean not just time travel bs.. Garden Eden, Posessions, Face Masks, Evil cousins that slash throughout the town as a plan from the Phoenix (Stefano) to get revenge on Roman, Marlena killing half the town for them to pop up 6 months later on a new island.

I mean if i would recommend someone to watch a show i would rather recommend SB over Days

Please register in order to view this content

I love SB but it was a shame that it was so overshadowed by Eden/Cruz. I even think that they were quiet overrated in my opinion. They had the chemistry but the storylines were just weird.

• Members

Not really. There is a different forumn that accused SB of being OTT. Sophial shot her son, Mary gets killed by a C, and the tape story were given as examples. So I was like, yeah right- look at the same time period on Days.

I do love Cruz and Eden, but I've made it very clear my favorite couple is CC and Sophia. Mason and Julia are a close second. I agree that Julia needed some as intelligent. And even from the beginning, Mason told her to start using her brain. I like that there are men on this show who love smart women.

That's one of the reasons I like Cruz and Eden. He likes that she is smart and independent. It was a throw away line while she was married to Kirk. Kirk was all upset because he didn't know where she was. Cut to Cruz who was saying that he loved that about her. "She needs to think, so she'll just go off by herself." 

Lionel was a CAD but he loved Augusta's brain! They had a lot of other issues, but he respected her mind. 

• Members

I am reminded of something Alexis Matteo said about drag queens on RuPaul's Drag Race.
"Drag queens are supposed to be over-the-top. If you just want to see a pretty girl, go to the mall".

That's how I feel about soaps. Soaps are supposed to be OTT. If I want to see run-of-the-mill tragedies I can turn on the news.

Edited by FrenchBug82