Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Members

That whole thing still squicks me out. I guess the only not-totally-negative thing I can say about it is that Robin Wright had long departed SB. No way can I picture her paired up with A Martinez after they had played the big brother/little sister vibe for so long - even at the beginning of the show in 1984 before Eden came on.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

An oft repeated sentiment, but if Eileen had been cast as another character, perhaps a sibling of Madeline from Grant Capwell's side of the family tree, I think the fans might have accepted it a bit more.  Until Eileen went to DAYS, she was stereotyped as a wealthy daughter, so it might have been more appealing to allow her to play against type, and then lure Cruz into a romance with someone who did not so closely resemble Eden as a character (I always felt the various writers failed to differentiate Kelly and Eden's personality in a significant way).

However, Reese and Jody were so unpopular, and really changed the tone of the show.  They were reflective of the de-glamorization of the soaps in the 1990's that was such a poor fit for SB.  It felt like in response to the success that GH had in its reinvention in the 90's to be more grounded and tell more human-based melodrama, SB desperately wanted to keep up with the times when they shifted to Pam Long's style of storytelling.  Yet, as a fan, I still wanted to see Sophia descend the stairway of the Capwell mansion in a gown for dinner, the Lockridges at the polo club, and Gina striving for money and success.  By the time nu-Kelly came around, along with nu-Ted, there was so much less focus of Capwell Industries and the manor, even the lighting became more sepia toned and dark, it was not what I wanted.

• Members

@amybrickwallace posted an Etsy link in the Capitol thread which got me to clicking around. Perhaps it’s already been posted in this thread, but here’s a link to the script for the first episode: https://www.etsy.com/listing/866729714/santa-barbara-script-ep-1-1984-nbc?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=capitol+book+soap+opera&ref=sr_gallery-6-3&organic_search_click=1

• Members

You know they never gave Cruz a chance for a decent romance post Eden.  Eden was really omnipresent while he was with both Suzanne and Kelly.

I assume that had A not left, they would have hooked him up with Jodie Walker but I saw some potential problems there as well. First was this whole backstory and this giant connection with someone that we didn’t know. Second was that she was the female Cruz. Same occupation, big hero moments, everyone loves her, spouse with flaws.