Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Members

If Mary gets discussed more, I think it’s because a lot of fans think the character left too soon and had such a memorable death. Plus with Lane’s Mason, the spector of Mary was always around. Of the 2 pairings, I preferred Mason/Julia but Julia was a more fully realized character since she was on much longer and got a semi-happy ending so the what if’s with the character and pairing aren’t there as much as with Mary. 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I liked Mary, but I really loved Julia. The only other character on paper (for me, as I was too young to watch in real time and did not get Soapnet for ages!) similar to her independence and intelligence was Jillian Coleridge on Ryan's Hope. And I think Julia was aware that strong women such as herself could be seen as "cold" or whatever. I remember a scene during the baby contract, when it was clear Julia felt insecure, when she asked Lionel if she was too...something. Forgot if she asked independent or something similar, and you saw Julia's softer core. I think this was around the time she had started developing real feelings for Mason.

I say this not to disparage Mary, but the show made a point that the...more fragile women do tend to attract men easier because they like being needed or whatever. And I think Julia recognized that, too, and for a time, despaired that that wasn't her nature to need so deeply.

When the show had the good writing like that, it was fire. Too bad the later downhill descent was so stark.

• Members

I never bought Terry Lester as Mason but I did really like him with Julia. It’s with Mason’s other ties that I found a bit lacking. I found Mason/Julia to be one of the few soap couples to have chemistry across multiple recasts, which isn’t easy to do.

I used to think Terry’s Mason was only comedic. To be fair, there were a lot of wacky hijinks involved with the Sasha storyline and trying to win Julia back, but upon my rewatch, he did really well with some of the more serious stuff too. 

• Members

Well, CC gave some lip service to being upset by her death, but by that point, he was chasing Sophia hot and heavy and he didn't think much more about it. Sophia didn't even bother going to the funeral, because TPTB didn't want to pay JM for that day. Kelly was in looneyville. So,really they might not even remember that C is a murderer.