Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

So I just read that basically NBC was trying to rebuild its daytime, because after Santa Barbara was cancelled that slot was left empty? And basically Sunset Beach was a failure and it got replaced with..  Passions. Wow, can't believe Passions stayed on the air as long as it did. But, I guess, some of it was just so bad, that it was good?

• Members

Right. I meant that by 1997 NBC was trying to add another soap to its lineup. The death of soaps wasn't evident just yet in that era.  I think the other 2 networks still had 4 soaps each and NBC just 2? 

Upon further research just now, it seems like NBC gave Passions a go-ahead before it even canceled Sunset Beach. , I always thought that the former replaced the latter. Passions premiered in July of 1999, and Sunset Beach wasn't canceled until September.

Oh, yeah, I completely forgot that Another World was still on at that moment

Edited by Lex S
Adding

• Members

In fact, you could make the argument that Passions had more of an SB influence with the pairing of Luis (Galen Gering) and Sheridan (McKenzie Westmore). He was from a lower-class Latino background - and a cop. Sheridan was the blond scion of the wealthiest family in town. 

Of course, A Martinez and Galen Gering later went on to play father and son on DAYS.

• Members

I realized a small fun fact Sherilyn Wolter (Elena) played Taylor in B&B and Lane Davies played Ridge both for a short time with the right timing from siblings they could've played lovers!

Lane playing Ridge made me realize the scripts on B&B are pretty inferior to SB

Edited by Joseph
New idea

• Members

It's no secret that I sometimes disliked the way storylines played out. Hated that they let Augusta leave! And I think the Perkins should have been recast and kept. I also didn't care for the way the Brick storyline played out. 

That said, it is a very good show. The writing and acting are wonderful. There are many great aspects. Jed Allan and Nicholas Coster are so awesome together. The show goes from humor to ripping your heart out in a second. And they eventually chose actors who could do drama and comedy. 

And it has some seriously HOT chemistry and couples. 

• Members

I just got to the climax of the Mary Duvall story. Julia announces to Augusta that she's taking Mark as a clent. And Augusta is disgusted that she would take him because Mary would never lie about that.

Watching the scene ramps up my admiration of Louise Sorel. I'm so proud of her for refusing to do the Dash storyline they wanted. She's right, there is NO WAY that Augusta would not be 1000% on Julia's side.

• Members

Julia and Augusta were having breakfast when Mark tracked down Julia to hire her. Augusta overheard, and let Julia have it. Then after Julia heard Mary's side, Julia and Augusta had lunch. Julia told Augusta she planned to throw the trial for Mary.

Another thing I'm noticing is that Gina Gallego is doing a good job with the material she's being given. My problem is that I'm just so DONE with the Santana character that no one could salvage her.  No one.

And I love that Keith has a cat.

• Members

Lex, I think wanting to watch a quality show that you enjoyed is perfectly normal.

Longing for your banana clip is nostalgia. 

Longing to wear shoulder pads under lace sleeves is an insanity that we need to prevent happening ever again.

I agree with this. She and the entire Andrade family should have been more prominent. And Santana's addiction story is actually being played quite well. But as I've said, I'm over her by this point and no longer care. She's been too heartless for too long for me to care.