90210: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

LOL! Max is hot. In real life, he is the kind of guy who girls would totally fawn over. Only Naomi would believe a guy who looks like that would be a virgin. However, I am glad that they haven't made him the total reject nerd virgin. He is confident, smart, has friends and is popular to girls outside of the rich cliche like Naomi's. I cracked up when he talked about the band girls who love to sleep with him and that the flutists are practically nymphos.

Teddy is pretty hot so I can believe that guys (and women) hit on him all the time, especially when he is walking shirtless at the pool.

• Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What I thought was funny about Adrianna switching the meds is how she made sure to get medicine that looked exactly like Silver's. This bitch is crazy. And I hope it does end up with Silver doing something nuts, with Adrianna suffering for it. Navid was annoying, too. I hate it when triangles like that spring up and the guy takes the blame for it in that way where it's obvious he doesn't think it's all his fault. IDK. Dylan acted the same damn way with Brenda and Kelly.

What I really like about the Teddy storyline is that the relationships he has with all of the other characters are very realistic. They didn't show a lot of him with anyone other than Silver (at least I think it was Silver -- the one he used to date), but even just the two of them were very believable for me. They're kinda like how Riley and Anya were on DTNG the last time I watched, so I can dig it. She's a good friend for him.

• Members

Naomi and Max are adorable, and so is Teddy. I agree about Ivy – she's too isolated from the rest of the group. They started to build some friendship between her and Naomi earlier this season but somehow forgot all about it.

I liked that for once, the whole gang did something together in this episode and acted like a bunch of friends. More group scenes would have been nice, though. I found it strange that nobody reacted to Annie being bitten by that monkey or that nobody knows about the triangle between Navid, Silver and Ade – considering both girls fought in public and even fell into the pool. These are examples why I don't buy any of the friendships on the show with the rare exception of Teddy and Silver because they actually talk to each other. But in this case it's also kind of one-sided because Silver didn't tell him about her relationship with Navid. Navid didn't even tell his so-called best friend Dixon.

Annie and Liam bore me to death. What I liked about the original 90210 was that not every character was committed in a serious relationship during high school. You had Brenda/Dylan which later switched to Kelly/Dylan, and Donna and David. However, Donna and David were rarely seen in romantic situations during high school, so their relationship didn't really play a major part in their storylines. I miss school-related stories on the new 90210. The "gang" graduates next month but we have rarely seen them doing anything for school. Even their hobbies – Annie's acting, Navid and Dixon's video business, Liam's mechanical skills etc. – are only used for storyline purposes, not in a way to actually define the characters.

• Members

With ivy, the only time she worked was with naomi. That friendship worked wonders on both characters and i am sad its been dropped. Ivy just doesnt fit as one of the guys.

As for the group, i dont buy them as a group of best friends but i dont think they are being sold as a group of best friends. They are friends, some casual and some more so, but they all hangout and are in each others lives through two degrees of separation or so. Buit i also dont think you can hold Silver not telling Teddy and Navid not telling Dixon against their friendships. They were keeping it secret and those two are not idiots, they know once they tell one person it will get out. The writing on 90210 just seems choppy and like they are going episode to episode, i think the readon the teddy storyline has been done so well is because it had a clear plan unlike everything else.

Annie & Liam are honestly the main reason i keep watching, i love them but i see how they can be seen as boring.

And you are right about the original 90210 vs this one, but dont you think thats fitting for the times? I finished high school like 6 years ago and i feel these kids are actually way more into school stuff than me or really anyone not a cheerleader/jock was. High School is treated like a job now, i feel, at least here where i live. You go, put in your hours, leave and go on with your real life.

My biggest hope for next year is they dont all go to one college. They can all stay in LA, but there are a ton of colleges in LA and no reason for them all too attend the same one. Also, poor ass Liam shouldnt go at all. He should have to get a fulltime job and that can create issues between him and Annie, who isnt working and casually going to school.

• Members

I don't think that they need to mimic the previous show. After all, it is a new generation. However, I agree that the friendships should be strengthened to give the group more cohesion. I hope that the new showrunner has a stronger vision for the characters, particularly Dixon. Tristan Wilds is the best actor in the cast and needs to be used better.

• Members

IA, especially with the girls, that they arent all best friends. The only one who's friends with all of them is really Naomi. She's the one that brings them together. If she were out of the picture, I doubt any of these girls would have anything to do with each other. Maybe Annie and Silver might, but Adriana definetly wouldnt waste her time with them. Theonly reason why Ivy hung out with the girls earlier this season was bc of Naomi. Really she's the glue that holds them together and the only one I can see has a true friendship with each of them as individuals and not merely as part of the group they hang out with

• Members

No, I don't want that either – especially since the previous show will always stay the better one (in my opinion). Of course it was cheesy and had a lot of dreadful storylines, but I cared a lot more about those characters than I do about the kids on the current 90210.

Besides, I still think that the new 90210 would have worked much better without any ties to the original 90210. Kelly, Brenda, Donna and the Peach Pit all magically disappeared, and they barely had relevance to the main plot. Ryan, who was supposed to be key character according to the original showrunners, became so boring after his romance with Kelly suddenly ended, and he has been pointless ever since. I don't know why they even kept him around so long. His storyline with Jen was ok, but it felt out of place.

When it comes to portraying high school life, I thought The O.C. did a great job with that – even though they had a much smaller teenage cast.

• Members

I agree about the O.C. Its foundation was the Cohen family (and here I include Ryan) in the same way that the Walshs were the foundation of the original 90210. We saw the siblings (I consider Seth and Ryan siblings) spending time together bonding at home and interacting with their parents. On both shows, the friends gravitated to these siblings and then the show branched out. On the new 90210, Annie and Dixon rarely even have a conversation with each other much less their now invisible parents. However, I think the show is doing something things right like their couples so they just need to flesh out the friendships to anchor the characters.

Archived