The Official "Thank God For SON/I Love SON" Thread

KevC1980

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I think this is the most intelligent soap opera MB around. It's great to go to a board where we actually have debates and lazy plotlines and acting aren't excused by saying, "It's a soap opera." And I'm happy that everything isn't all fangurl and "(insert character name here) is SOOO hot" or "OMG, OMG, OMG."

I like how we actually know actor names, writer's names(except I'm inept when it comes to who the scriptwriters are, but I'm gonna learn someday), directors(another weakness of mine). I like how we can have debate about soaps on these boards with factual and intellectual basis around them.

I like how this board unites men and women, gay and straight(bi too), and people from all walks of life(even Andrew Ridings, AMC's horrible JR recast!) to this little corner on the internet.

I like how this board allows you to have an opinion about anything soap related, from the wildest soap conspiracy theories to the gossip on the set. It truly adds another layer and dimension to our discussion of soaps.

I feel, in a way, that I am part of a secret club that no one knows about or can truly understand.

In a few words: I LOVE SOAP OPERA NETWORK!

• Members

I want to ask you all what makes you hooked on SON? What brings you back, and what do you love about the website and board as a whole.

I love the peeps here, they rock and are very cool to me. To be honest, I wouldn't have given it a thought had it not been for Chandler. I haven't been posting a lot in between, but I am now getting back into the swing of things, and everybody here is fun. It makes it worth posting. Not to mention I do love writing up reports. It has been something I liked doing since high school. I love to write anything and everything. Probably why I am blog-oriented.

SON rocks

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I've been here, like many others, since the SONARC migration. I've made friends with many members off the board on instant messanger. I've gotten to know people like Kirk, Keith, Kenny, Rick, Matt, Roger, Bree, Shane, Mike, Toups and Ryan to name a few... As my enthusiasm for soaps died down I stopped posting and coming around as much but the IM convos never stopped and somehow SON never fell off my regular website rotation.

It is a fun board to visit. I credit myself with as the pioneer of the Blog Soap! Threads I remember most are the picture threads, an anti-DAYS/jer/langon post, Canadian election threads and the early ratings threads.

I've had a few names here, "Dave," "UWOsoapwriter," "superhero" and "CSW" (ok, i was never superhero).

Good times.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I was just on another message board, and I'm continuously amazed by the amount of idiocy that goes on at other boards.

For starters, virtually every other message board is divided by fan bases. The J&M fans vs. the BOPE fans vs. the S/K fans... it's annoying. The board I posted on today, and have posted sporadically on for a long while, is full of post titles like this: "J&M FANS ONLY! (BASHERS STAY OUT!), ANTI-BOPE FANS ONLY (PRO-BOPE NOT ALLOWED!), ANTI-MARLENA THREAD (KATE FANS STAY OUT!)." What the hell? And, I mean, it's not just a few posts like that (such as in our Love/Hate section)... virtually the entire board is made up of posts like that.

But what really bothers me is that no place else lets you express your opinion, unless it's the popular one. Honestly! You can say something that's so tame and normal -- the kinds of things we talk about here at SON all the time -- and your posts will be deleted and you'll be banned, simply because your opinion is too radical and not popular, which causes an uproar with the posters... and rather than tell the posters to pipe down, they just delete your post and disallow further discussion. I hate it. It makes me want to scream, "Wake up, people! Wake up you idiots... you KNOW NOTHING!" They're so unknowledgeable and stupid when it comes to certain subjects that I want to scream, but I don't. I just state my piece, back it up... and that's considered out of line. What's the point of a discussion board if you're only allowed to discuss one side of the conversation and forget that the other side even exists? It's ridiculous.

So, anyway... yes, thank God for SON! A place where we can talk about all soaps, all subjects, all characters and couples with free will and free minds. A place where we can actually discuss, agree, disagree, and even debate... all without anyone feeling like an outsider, a minority, and more importantly... like a child. It's the EVERY soap board, and I love it here.

Just thought I'd share. :)

• Members

My feelings exactly.

I've had bad experiences with boards that shall remain nameless in the past, to the point where I was targeted personally. I almost swore of boards altogether, but a friend named Ryan Chandler convinced me join this one, and I'm glad I did. SON has treated me well since I joined.

The posters here are intelligent and their points of view are coherent, thought out, and sane.

Even when people here disagree, they still respect each other.

That respect is what's so sorely lacking on many, if not all, other boards.

• Members

LoL, and you know exactly what board I'm speaking of.

I guess it's ridiculous of me to expect more out of it, anyway. The boards are run by Sony, right? It's not like this board, where the moderators aren't also the owners of the damn shows, LoL.

• Members

I've always said what sets SON apart from all the rest is that no matter how much we fight, we respect each other in the end. We engage in thoughtful discussion and our threads aren't the "OMG ISN'T _________ SO HOT?!!!" We can debate our opinions and though it gets very, VERY tense at times, we agree to disagree in the end.

Shawn and I have been friends for a few years now and I'm glad I got the chance to know him. He was the target of a bunch of haters and the staff on TBTSNBN (The board that shall not be named) totally hung him out to dry. I was the ONLY person on the staff of TBTSNBN who defended Shawn publicly and privately. We became friends after that. He was so turned off by the experience that he even left the board that I was running. However he saw the SON environment and I guess he liked it because he hasn't left yet :lol:

It's very rare when you see board originals continuing to post on the boards (Kenny, Rugrat, Rick, etc sorry if I left your name out) and that says something here. They and so many others have stuck with SON through the good, the bad and the fugly and we're better because of it.

• Members

I totally see where you are coming from Kenny! I have been to sites like that before, and SON is the only one I actually like. I love this place because I don't have people tgat bash my opinionsm and also, those kind of boards I go to it makes me feel just...strange or the odd one out. I mean, no one really cares about people like Frances Reid or The Hayes or other important vets and it's all "Shelle" or "Shimi" this or that. Other as well, and also, the reason people bash my opinions is because no one ever agrees with me.

It almost seems like no one there are real Days fans or OLTL fans or whatever there.

This is one of the big reasons I love SON...is that no one bashes your opinions and they seem like actual fans of the shows.

Archived