BREAKING NEWS: 'The Gates' Will Debut in January 2025

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I don't know anyone who has ever watched LMAD either. I am boggled that it has lasted this long. I assume it is dirt cheap to produce and Wayne Brady isn't probably asking for much. 

If CBS was to cancel the show, the most logical P&G soap to revive would be EON. It can be made procedural. And as I said in another thread, you can either pick up with Timmy Faraday and John Victor as the protagonists, do a modern interpretation with a new, young Mike Karr, or just keep the name and theme but a whole new cast of characters. 

I know it is hopeful thinking, but I pray The Gates and 30 minutes and we learn they are producing another 30-minute soap to take the second half of the hour. All these shows need to revert to 30 mins. 

He does now. Jamey Giddens (of Daytime Confidential and DAYS) writes for SISTAS now. You can see the vast improvement in the shows with his mini-writing team. However, you can tell that Tyler still plots the show. However, you can tell the actors are happier with the writing changes as they don't look dead in the face anymore when delivering lines. I still think his shows are sad (plot wise). Sets are gorgeous as hell, but no good stories to match. 

Do you think they might air classic episodes of Y&R or B&B instead? 

• Members

I think The Gates will launch after the March Madness break, so going by the March Madness 2025 dates on March Madness Final Four: Future dates & sites (ncaa.com) , I say series premiere is Monday March 24, 2025.

As for what will be the time filler when The Talk ends, I think it will probably be extra episodes of The Price is Right and Let's Make a Deal, but deep down I'm hoping for Y&R/B&B classics.

• Members

Although I am not pretending to be an expert, I would not negate the chance for classic B&B because of the YouTube episodes.  Much of James Corden's show was used to promote his YouTube content, because it is an alternate monetary source.  In fact, by the final season, according to Variety, CBS was making more money off the online clips than they were making off of first run audience showing.  So, it might make sense to show reruns in order to promote the online content.

• Members

It just occurred to me that B&B has never once done a TV spot promoting the classics on their YouTube channel. There must be lots of  viewers who don't know about it. They used to advertise that Soap City website all the time. Maybe it's different because YouTube is an app, not a site that CBS owns, but at least a scroll or something. I agree with you, though, that airing classics on TV could whet appetites and get people viewing online.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I feel the same way about Byron Allen. Love that we have a successful billionaire black media magnate, but he delivers crap product. His judge shows are cheap and casted with fake actors, and I believe his news stations are just as unfortunate.

I don't know how many of you remember but during the 1 month gap between ATWT's ending and The Talk's launch in Sep/Oct 2010, I recall CBS in NYC airing Y&R again at 2pm. I don't recall the episodes looking like classics, they may have been recent reruns. 

I would like to see classic soaps air during the intermittent period. Even though you can get old episodes of B&B online, It feels like full-blown nostalgia to watch classic episodes live on TV in the afternoon. It recreates the appointment viewing feeling.

I still do not think it is a wise idea to llaunchThe Gates as a 1 hour Soap.  

To those advocating, for 30 minute reboots of ATWT and Guiding Light, I would love that as well. The question is, with so many actors and writers dead/retired, how good would the reboots be?

Edited by Planet Soap

• Members

I'd love to see them bring EON back. I didn't think of it because I didn't know if it would just be called "copaganda" in today's climate but with a few tweaks the potential is there. For me, of the CBS soaps, EON, ATWT or GL could all make sense as revivals. 

There were many 30 minute soaps much better than B&B. Even at its best B&B was never that good.

• Members

No point in showing ATWT and GL as part of a CBS Daytime to Remember - it would just make viewers sad/annoyed they were dropped.

What would be great to see is a properly curated look back at classic Y&R. eg the Katherine/Jill story with comments from Jess and other actors, fans, critics etc ,selected important scenes etc played out over one or 2 weeks,

Similar 'mini series' dealing with Jack, Nikki etc