BREAKING NEWS: 'The Gates' Will Debut in January 2025

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I definitely wish this show the best, and I plan to watch it.  But I understand it will probably be a 60-minute soap, which concerns me a bit.  I think 30-minutes would be a better decision.  It has always been difficult to get a new soap opera started.  And there really have been no soaps that premiered in the 60-minute format that were ultimately successful.  It think it would be wise to premiere the show at 30-minutes, then a couple of years later -- if the ratings are high -- expand it to 60-minutes.  Or maybe just leave it at 30-minutes.  

• Members

And with the way time flies, it really won’t be that long. 

I know we’re pretty much all excited and it’s been fun proposing our casting hopes and dreams and ideas and such but I hope people will remember that this is MVJ’s vision and I hope people will allow her to kick off this series her way. We will all have our respective opinions, like we always do and I expect at some point, we will feel free to express them, that’s the fun of this board. But I hope that she'll at least get the honeymoon period that most HWs and especially show creators get when launching something brand new.

IOW, let that Black woman write her show!

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

This is so cool ♥

Please register in order to view this content

Cool that only 5 1/2 weeks from initial announcement, it's now confirmed with a start date.
and cool that there's already 52 pages of discussion on this thread!

• Members

I personally prefer an hour long soap. The runtime of soaps are condensed as it is, so to truly develop story and rich dialogue, I think an hour works best. 

However considering the state of network TV, soaps, and budgets, I think 30 minutes would be favorable. If they're going to do this, I want it done right and I don't want to see cheap-looking sets that are empty with just the main scene actors. Maybe a week long premeire of hour long epsidoes to set the stage before reverting to 30 minute episodes would be nice...but honestly, I'm just excited to see what comes out of this. 

• Members

I agree.  I, myself, don't have any hopes and dreams for this show beyond just wishing the best for it and everyone attached to it.  (Although, a new title would be nice, lol).

• Members

The other names mentioned

Sheila Ducksworth, producer of Ambitions, The Baxters, and various TV Movies

Leon Russell -couldn't fond anything on quick Google search

Derrick Johnson - lawyer and humanitarian. He serves as the 19th President and CEO of the NAACP

Kimberly Doebereiner -  Group Vice President, Future of Advertising and Head of P&G Studios at Procter & Gamble.

• Members

FWIW, to me, it seems as if the main drivers of this series are MVJ, CBS and the NAACP with P&G possibly functioning in a supporting role as opposed to their previous role as the sole production company for their soaps in years past. I doubt they will have that measure of creative and production control this time around.