BREAKING NEWS: 'The Gates' Will Debut in January 2025

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

How stupid of me to JUST now... read about the premiere date. I can't wait! A beginning of a new era for soaps! Let me now wish that in 10 years... there will be 2-3 more! 

• Members

What do you mean about revenge agenda? I thought she came in wanting to reset the characters who were being written wildly out of character. She fixed Sharon, the wrote of dull characters like Chelsea, Chloe and Kevin who were overdue for exits, she gave Cane his best story ever and I liked how she wrote Hillary, Devon, Mariah and Nikki. I think she did a lot in her short time and nothing she did hurt the show. You can’t say that about any other HW on Y&R in recent years.

She deserved at least a year which I hope PM/EK get on GH. It seems like today people expect changes immediately but in a soap that is more difficult. I appreciate both teams taking a more old school approach and trying to fix the characters before jumping into major stories. 

• Members

I think that w/o making major changes immediately and adopting a more measured approach, it can take a good 6 months for new writers to get a show back into shape.

Same holds true for a new show-it can take that long for things to fall into place- there might need to be recasts or actors having to adjust to playing a role as the writers see it, or conversely, writers reshaping a character to suit the actor etc

I do worry about the show being centered around wealthy characters-that can be limiting in terms of budget -I don't want to see rich characters living in tiny houses with no staff, and being wealthy takes away some story options as well.

• Members

I’m not going to make any assumptions based on a pitch. I don’t know if anyone else has made a pitch, I have and you are not meant to give details, just a sketch. I plan to hold judgement until I see more details than what is indicated in a pitch or a treatment.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I don't know if any of you have monitored the comment sections on “mainstream” entertainment sites about The Gates premiere news, but it has been predictably creepy and racist (below is a mild example because others were frankly too distasteful to copy and paste).  Given that we've avoided this type of discourse, I hope others will report it when they see it.

Please register in order to view this content

I hope we can avoid the obvious media reports about “backlash” toward the production for highlighting Black culture.  Much like, I hope that we can avoid discussions of what constitutes a racist reaction and what could be inferred as offensive.

Edited by j swift