BREAKING NEWS: 'The Gates' Will Debut in January 2025

• Members

To be honest, I don't see why they wouldn't just run The Talk until March if that's what they planned to do. It makes no sense for them to have to get filler programming if they could just smoothly transition from The Talk to The Gates and The Talk could literally end any Friday as there's no need to wrap anything up. I still think The Gates will premiere over the winter break and they'll just use March Madness as further promotion to keep any "hype" going. Daytime soaps aren't as reliant on having huge premieres as much as keeping people tuned in so for me it makes more sense as they would hopefully start having storylines heating up and gelling properly by March.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think the reboots would be fine. The shows are generational to the fact that you can pick up with certain characters and still capture the essence of the shows during their original runs. 

ATWT: Center the show back on the Hughes again--preferably Casey, Chris, Ryder, Christina, and Daniel. Hope needs to be a central character too. You can bring back the Snyders as most of them are still living. We might not have Jack and Carly, but you can still have JJ and Parker there as young adults. Have Tom & Margo resume the patriarchal and matriarchal roles. Have John, Bob, and Lisa in there too—some of the first major stories being the passing of Kim and Lucinda. 

GL: Center the show back on the Bauers. Preferably Michelle, Rick, and their now adult kids. Phillip can resume the role that Alan once had--constantly trying to run all his kids' lives. Zach and Jude need to return, both of them having estranged relationships with their fathers. Have Ross and Blake's kids wreaking havoc on Springfield and holding a grudge against Phillip and Rick for causing Ross' death. Have Kevin (once believed to be Rick) be drawn to Rick (like a father figure) which would unnerve Blake at times. Kevin would be conflicted between the memory of his dad and his current relationship with Rick. Meanwhile, Jason is more of a Roger figure, who wants to take Phillip and James down while getting his hands on Spaulding. To get back at Rick, he'd be taking a page out of his grandpa's book by using Leah. Model it after Holly/Roger's relationship--one that is toxic, tumultuous, yet heartbreaking for the audience. Clarissa would be mini-Blake. And Ed and Holly can be at the epicenter conflicted about the interrelations amongst their messy grandkids. 

The Shaynes and Lewises (except Mindy) can be off the canvas for a LONG time. Just center the show around the Bauers, Marlers, and Spauldings for now. 

I just keep thinking with all of primetime excelling at procedural and cops shows, we might as well bring back the daytime show that created the lane for many of these current shows. I think EON would flourish out of all the soaps nowadays if done correctly--the right amount of romance, murder, and mayhem. 

• Members

Nothing against Guiding Light or As The World Turns, but I don't think either really has a huge interesting premise to appeal beyond their original fanbase that would make them worth rebooting over just creating a new show. The reason why many people point towards Edge of Night or something like Dark Shadows is because both shows have an instantly recognizeable point of view beyond just being a soap. Guiding Light might have an up there because it's well-known as one of the longest running shows and the oldest long-running soap, but it'd like end up doing "meh" like the Law & Order reboot.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Well well well. No specific ending date in December though. Maybe it ends on December 20th while The Gates makes its debut on the 23rd, just in time for Christmas. Perhaps some beginning storyline with the holidays inserted as a backdrop.

Edited by vanguard

• Members

I can't see a reboot happening for ATWT and GL. I'd be interested in seeing the vets, but most will be retired, deceased, or onto other shows by now. A new show would have to focus on the younger generation. As someone who tuned out of those shows long before they were cancelled, I have no idea who all the kids are and don't care about them, so it wouldn't be viable for me (and I'm on the much younger side of the average age of a soap viewer...).

A show like Edge of Night you could reboot because it's basically just a cool title and a general concept and you could do anything you want from there. You won't have fans complaining that you're not honoring the history of the Hughes and Bauer families or be bound by 60 years of history and family connections.

What I do think could have worked, and am surprised no one ever thought of this, would be licensing characters from shows like ATWT, GL, AMC, and OLTL for Hallmark-style movies for TV or streaming (ABC soaps might be trickier to license). There would be some nostalgia for that, I think, and you'd have a better chance of getting cameos from the old guard or those who are on other shows (Maura West). You could build up a new generation of characters by doing 1-3 movies a year and they could work as standalones for viewers who just like those kind of movies anyway. It wouldn't be too expensive to produce and the schedule would be flexible. Michael Damian would be the perfect person to do this!

Please register in order to view this content

• Members
Posted (edited)

or Marie Osmond? (I had totally forgotten the Marie era)

According to a CBS informer, the real reason Marie Osmond left "The Talk" had little to do with needing more time with her family and everything to do with an ongoing battle between her and two of her co-hosts. The source told Page Six that veteran hosts Sharon Osbourne and Sheryl Underwood wanted the newbie kicked off the panel for unspecified reasons. The pair reportedly wanted her removed from the show so badly that they threatened to quit themselves if Osmond wasn't forced to leave her job.

Read More: https://www.thelist.com/1433828/marie-osmond-the-talk-departure-messier-than-we-realized/

Edited by j swift

• Members

Does anyone know if CBS will air those UEFA matching in 2025? They are pretty frequent in 2024.

It certainly wouldn't help TG if it's pre-empted in the MT/PT time zones two days a week over several months after it's launch. Just sayin'

• Members

UEFA has only been gaining in popularity in the U.S. over the last several years, so it wouldn’t surprise me if CBS extended its commitment, if it hasn’t done so already. Even when the daytime soaps were cash cows, they still often got preempted by the U.S. Open tennis and March Madness.

At this point, I would think that the 20th century terrestrial television centric thinking would no longer predominate strategy. CBS has to also be thinking about digital engagement as well. To me, just as important will be to ask whether ad buy for digital will have caught up to terrestrial network television. If the differential in ad dollars is small, then I can’t see a few preemptions being a huge deal. If there is a big disparity, then it could have an impact.