BREAKING NEWS: 'The Gates' Will Debut in January 2025

• Members
Posted (edited)

Yep. Im also active in tv news message boards and many posters there think the news is the only way stations/networks can plug syndication holes. They've even been pushing the idea that CBS will develop its own version of NBC News Daily and GMA 3--God no. 

And the trick is, all America news programs cover the same thing with little international reporting outside of US interests. How many different newscasts need to tell me that the Baltimore Bridge collapsed and do a panel discussion on Princess Kate's cancer???

The justification for all day news is that people watch TV for quick hits throughout the day, not continuous viewership of one channel. Thus, it doesn't matter if they show infinate hours of news.

At this point I'll take sitcom & reality show reruns, maybe even some HGTV home improvement stuff in syndication, just no more news. Hopefully The Gates is successful and it revamps the genre.

Edited by Planet Soap

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Those too! There were options, especially in the 1980s, the 90s though, for some reason made me think of sports programs (maybe it was the Tanya vs Nancy and Steffi vs Monica). But when you think of it network television programming on the weekends seems pretty dire these days. I remember during the pandemic CBS tried to bring back the Saturday night movie, I don’t remember how long they kept that going.

• Members

Even sitcoms are basically dead now. It's all drama. Chicago Parks Dept/FBI: Antarctica/ Law & Order: Traffic Court

It's starting to feel like the networks just don't want me watching TV!

That's why I personally need The Gates to succeed. Soaps are a passion of mine and I don't want them to die. 

• Members

I've always find the presentation of local news to be extremely excessive anyway. Three hours a day should be fine. Basically everything is covered in the first half anyway.

6am hour

Noon half hour

5pm half hour

11pm half hour

That's lots o' soap time to me!

• Members

I think the news issue is why CBS is really the only network that is in the position to be able to develop a new soap opera.

When DAYS was still on the network, it was the only daytime drama surrounded by a sea of news.  So there was nothing else for soap fans to watch, unless DAYS was appointment viewing. 

If, NBC or ABC wanted to start a new soap today, they would have to attract a totally new audience.  Whereas, CBS can coast off of those who already watch Y&R and B&B.

• Members

And the demographics support CBS - they skew older regardless, and unfortunately, those are the only people really tuning into soaps in large quantities (in a trackable way at least) these days.

In addition to this show being targeted to black women, they have to know that much of that audience tuning in will over-index for the 50+ crowd.  

• Members

Absolutely. CBS network has also always had a better relationship with their affiliates than ABC and NBC. Mostly because CBS had more successful years than the other two. NBC is the worst. Because they had some really horrendous years in the 70s and 80s, they became beholden to their affiliates, in part because of them threatening to leave the network. They always let affiliates dictate their daytime schedule. Airing network shows in whatever time slot they wanted, or not at all in some cases. That played a part in the ultimate failure of all NBC soaps after 1980. Affiliates had to make money. Programming 6 hours of news a day and airing syndicated shows is money in the pockets for the affiliates. That’s one of the “nails” in the coffin of soaps that isn’t talked about very often, network affiliation pressure.

• Members
Posted (edited)

KTLA has news from 4am-2pm then again from 3-7 pm not to mention they produce entertainment shows at 2&7pm. From what I've seen, their not like CNN with  panel discussions, to film airtime, it's all packages an anchor read overs. Just excessive. panel discussions, to film airtime, it's all packages and anchor read overs. I agree with @SteelCity less hours is more when it comes to news.

Interesting. CBS did have a rocky period with affiliates. In 1994 when Fox bought NFL rights, dozens of their affilates defected to Fox. And in cities like Atlanta CBS was forced to affiliate with bottom feeder stations with high dial numbers ---Ch 46.

Edited by Planet Soap